PDA

View Full Version : Threading a 1" x 42" belt sander

Willy65
04-08-2009, 04:31 PM
Just received and assemblied a Enco 163-4512 belt sander. My question is how to thread the belt on the idler pulleys for inside sanding.:confused:

Willy65

Dave Converse
04-08-2009, 08:37 PM
Hi Willie,

This is a very versatile tool and can be easily made even more useful with some small fabrication work. Both the belt table and the backing plate are kinda flimsy, but can easily be replaced with parts you can make from much more rigid stock. This machine is sold under many names including Grizzly, Central Machinery, and Enco.

Interior sanding is done either with or without the backing plate by following these steps that bypass and exclude the rear idler pulley:
1. Remove the Belt Sanding Table and the Belt
Guards.
2. Feed the Sanding Belt through the workpiece
and over the large upper idler wheel.
Loosen the small upper wheel below it, swing it
toward the front of the machine, and feed the
belt around the front of the small wheel, so that it passes behind the front section of belt, back to back.
3. Press down on the top arm and feed the
remainder of the belt through the lower idler and drive wheels in the same way as on the top pulleys, but mirror image.
4. Replace the table.
5. Adjust belt tracking
6. If you use the backing plate, the belt will pass on either side of it. If you prefer removing the plate, the belt will rub itself harmlessly back to back.

Check out the Grizzly site and see if the manuel for their version, Model G-1013, is still available for download in PDF.

Willy65
04-09-2009, 10:29 AM
Dave,

Thank you for your reply, it was very helpful.

Willy65

Willy65
04-09-2009, 02:28 PM
Dave,

I downloaded the Grizzy G-1013 manual. WOW it has real instructions for the assembly, and use of the sander; unlike Enco's manual that has just enough information for assembly - non for use.

Willy65

Dave Converse
04-10-2009, 09:04 AM
Mine doesn't even have a name on it and I've had it so long I can't remember where I bought it...............maybe Horrible Fright. It sat around for several years waiting for me to get around to hopeful intentions to 'pervert' it to a high speed belt grinder. Finally got around to using it to sharpen some drills, shouted "WOW," dropped the plans to speed it up, and made the improvements I mentioned earlier, plus a few more (all Chi-Com machines come as a 'work-in-progress':) ). It's become such a frequently used tool that I wonder how I ever lived so long without it.

Friends have other versions of 1" X 42" belt/disc sanders and all are useful, but this machine just seems to work better than even those with more famous names on 'em.