PDA

View Full Version : Southbend internal keyway cutter version 3..

Dawai
04-08-2009, 10:16 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDNbUSBrPeY

Yeah, working right along... still ain't got them steppers on this old girl.. too many irons in the fire..

This old machine is paid for with the internal keyway cutter if she never cuts splines on a gear pulley for me cnc style.. worth every nickel and the floor space it takes up.

doctor demo
04-08-2009, 10:36 PM
[
Yeah, working right along... still ain't got them steppers on this old girl.. too many irons in the fire..

This old machine is paid for with the internal keyway cutter if she never cuts splines on a gear pulley for me cnc style.. worth every nickel and the floor space it takes up.

Cool video Dave. What was versions one and two? How are the steppers going to be used, on a rotab affair?

Steve

garyphansen
04-08-2009, 11:01 PM
Dave: Why are you cutting a key way in a square tube? Am I missing sonething? Gary P. Hansen

dp
04-09-2009, 12:32 AM
Since the downfeed is gone from the shaper it looks like it's not cutting a keyway in this vid - it looks like it's cutting out the welding seam in the square tube. Unless the table jack is being used to raise the table.

Dawai
04-09-2009, 06:28 AM
Hi.

Yeah, yesterday.. I labeled the video wrongly of course. IT is of course the keyway cutter rig I built yesterday. I used it to cut the weld seam out of the tube. A after thought job.

It is cutting the weld seam out, and enlarging the tubing to accept a 2x2 tool post. To weld to the english wheel frame I modified, to put the dollies and bender into and hold other tools for me as a secondary operation as I work metal.

TO cut a keyway auto-feed.. you merely turn the cutter sideways, find center, then set the depth on the cutter, then start the cut and engage feed.

IT, being a chinese tool.. the boring bar has slipped on me a couple times now. I used it to keyway these http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v85/ibewgypsie/DSCN2148.jpg

Rollers made for me by Madman and delivered in person from Canada.. a broach would not key the 4" full width like this cutter has.

Sorry, I did not take a video of the operation doing that.. pretty mindless, set it up once and since the rollers match, all cuts went off without a hitch. EXCEPT for the 1/4" cutter slipping in the chinese boring bar. THE boring bar was tig welded to a piece of stock turned in the lathe to match.. the downfeed removed and the "post" it locks into the ram copied on another piece of round stock, drilled and tapped and off working.

No good enough explanation I guess.. sorry guys I am slipping. Had a few distractions yesterday.. Had enough good looking women milling around to make any man confused.

David

Dawai
04-09-2009, 06:49 AM
Dr Demo:

Sorry I did not answer your question right off.. I posted the 4" indexer and "table" adapter previously, I adapted a stepper to the factory downfeed on the ram, put a stranded copper cable to drive the motor, then thought better of it.
Too much weight on too thin of a cast iron casting. I will have to machine one from scratch.

Versions one and two tried to use the original tool post setup.. and use the downfeed.. too much spring and twist to do a good job.. you can't use the clapper box anyways so this is much more rigid. I am embarrassed I tried it that way, you could shake it 3/8" inch on the cutter that far out.. not good for any kind of tolerance.

This tool, thou old is very valuable to my shop. I have used it to cut down wilwood calipers to keyway rollers, pulleys, sprockets for various jobs. I think I gave $500 plus hauling for it and consider it paid for in work accomplished.

(automated gearbelts? I have a robotics design but am too cheap to buy the custom made parts to drive it with xl browning belts.. a 8-legged robot using two harbor freight battery drills)