PDA

View Full Version : Indexable mill cutter problem

rogee2
04-09-2009, 02:13 PM
I have several indexable mill cutters that use tnmx inserts. They were made by a small co that appears to no longer be in busyness. One is a single point tool and one is a triple point, they do very nice clean almost mirror like cuts on 17-4 S.S. as long as I take VERY Light cuts, and feed them VERY SLOWLY. However, if I take a .030"-.050" cut they really seem to be hammering, this seem to be a needless abuse of my mill. Should I worry about this hammering, or should I reserve these cutters for light finish cuts only?

loose nut
04-09-2009, 06:57 PM
What kind of mill? mill/drill, table top or full sized.

The smaller mills have trouble with these carbide insert cutters on anything more then a light cut unless you get the right type. I quite using mine because it was hammering the spindle and now use roughing mills for course machining and larger end mills (1") with light cuts for facing.

aboard_epsilon
04-09-2009, 07:28 PM
you can stop the banging ..just by looking at it and observing how the cutter hits the work .

try and get it so that the cutter hits the work at a very shallow angle ..

so in other words ...you can have it only just peeping over the edge.......

i drew some pics for another post ..will look for them

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v190/aboard_epsilon/bridgeport/cutterpath2.jpg

all the best.markj

JoeFin
04-09-2009, 11:06 PM
I don’t mean to be derogatory

But I’ve had some “Mixed” results using wiper style insert milling cutters too.

First I had a inexpensive Chinese made 2 insert, 1” dia. Cutter that seemed to work great. To reduce chatter and try for a good finish it was important to observe edge preparation and positioning of the cut. But I was fairly impressed with the results in mild and stainless steel.

How ever it was important to observe depth of cut.

Then I bought some other Chinese made single point cutters and they were horrible. Took a closer look at the pocket and they were cut poorly which give the insert a negative rake.