PDA

View Full Version : A second lathe

loose nut
04-09-2009, 07:12 PM
I have a 9 x 20 lathe that I bought 20+ years ago, still in very good shape and does very good work within the limitations of it's size and weight.

A couple of years ago I upgraded to a 13 x 40 and love it, it opens up a whole world of possibilities. Now what do I do with the 9" lathe. I was going to keep it for use with a tool post grinder but that isn't going to happen and I'm thinking of selling it of to get the money I need for some shop upgrades IE: a proper Dro.

I haven't used it much since I have the new one but I figure as soon as I get ride of it I'll come up with a reason why I need it.

Is there a good reason not to sell it, what do you guys do with a second lathe.

Spin Doctor
04-09-2009, 07:19 PM
For a second lathe something like Frank Fords Rambold Turret Lathe or one of the Elgin or Hardinge Spit-Beds. I really wish I hadn't sold my Elgin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gr4aN23XGz0

BillH
04-09-2009, 07:30 PM
I still use my taig, almost as much as my 8x14. When one lathe is set up to do something, you will wish you had a 2nd lathe.

Bmyers
04-09-2009, 07:34 PM
My first lathe is a 12x30 Pratt and Whitney model B. I had the urge to have a second lathe. I bough a South Bend 9" Jr. It has been very handy for making parts to keep the P&W running, and making small parts. You can never have too many lathes

http://i485.photobucket.com/albums/rr219/j-bmyers/DSCN1365.jpg

http://i485.photobucket.com/albums/rr219/j-bmyers/sb9jr.jpg

Liger Zero
04-09-2009, 07:36 PM
I still use my taig, almost as much as my 8x14. When one lathe is set up to do something, you will wish you had a 2nd lathe.

Quoted for truth.

I make filter assemblies for a friend who runs an aquarium business. Every time I get set up to make her parts someone comes running over to my house "OMG CAN YOU MAKE ME A ______."

Every.

Time.

That's why I keep the Sherline around.

Of course if I had I turret lathe I could knock out Crazy Fish Lady's filters at the rate of a hundred per hour or more... *sigh*

3t-
04-09-2009, 07:47 PM
[QUOTE=Bmyers]My first lathe is a 12x30 Pratt and Whitney model B. I had the urge to have a second lathe. I bough a South Bend 9" Jr. It has been very handy for making parts to keep the P&W running, and making small parts. You can never have too many lathes

True, true, true,

I just missed a South Bend heavy 10 on a local craigslist ad. It would have been right at home here.

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb219/tthurin/machines/DSCN1223.jpg

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb219/tthurin/machines/DSCN1228.jpg

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb219/tthurin/machines/001-1.jpg

Only need a "small" addition built onto the garage:rolleyes:

bob308
04-09-2009, 07:52 PM
i started with a 12" atlas. then got a good deal on a 14 1/2" s-b. so i sold the atlas then got a 9"s-d to do small things on.yes two is better then one.

japcas
04-09-2009, 08:59 PM
Loose Nut, I too started out with a 9x20. Not a bad lathe at all and it sure does beat nothing. Later I upgraded to a 13x40 and I hardly used the little one. I thought about selling mine also but occasionally I make little parts on it. Lately I've been thinking about converting it to cnc. First of all just to see if I can and secondly it would be handy for some of the contoured parts I make occasionally. I run cnc daily at work but I've never built one so now I'm just trying to gather information to educate myself on what is needed. I agree with the others though, even in manual mode it's handy to have a second lathe around.

Roy Andrews
04-09-2009, 11:57 PM
another vote for keep it. put it in a corner or any place out of the way and cover it with a sheet soaked in light oil. every 5 or 6 months it will save you a setup tare-down and every couple years it will make a part for lathe #1. at least thats been my experience.

Forrest Addy
04-10-2009, 12:20 AM
Always a big question what's the next increment. The solution s to look at your plans and ambitions, the nature of the work you're attracting, and the availability of the equipment in your marketing niche.

Sounds like you plan to hang on to your original lathe. Why not if you have the room.

I think that a 13" lathe isn't thet much larger than a 9. If the 9 is stilll usable and you wish to move up I suggest you consider at the last three increments larger so their isn't so much overlap and the larger size makes larger work possible, Small work really doesn't get clumsy on a larger lathe unless your chucks etc are out sized. 3/8 work if a bit too small for a 12" 3 jaw. That's why I have a 6" 4 jaw. Works great on little bitty stuff. Then there is speed and feed range. 2000 RPM and 0.002" feed/rev is nice to have for small work. Speeds and feeds in this range were common in larger lathes (17" and 19") since the 60's. My home shop lathe is a 17" but since I supersized the motor and equipped it with small chucks and a Jacobs rubbewrflex collet set small work poses no problems even down to indicator button sized.

From this I conclude that you might be blighting you future work capacity by not upsizng to a larger increment. 13" might seem a nice ccomfortable next lathe size but if you see automotive parts like braks drumes and clutch parts in your future you might wish you held out for a 17" toolroom lathe.

So I guess the question reverts to is how much somewhat modern room do you have and is thare a laarger lathe in your area that attracts you?

MickeyD
04-10-2009, 08:07 AM
If you can sell the 9x20 (been there and done that - still have chatter marks on the T-shirt) and get enough for a DRO I would say go for it. Try to hold a couple of hundred back in a new 2nd lathe fund and start watching the paper and craigslist. Something old, ugly, and cheap that is ten times the lathe that the 9x20 is will show up that you can rebuild in your own time frame. And during that time you will have a good lathe with a DRO and you will wonder how you lived without it.

loose nut
04-10-2009, 10:01 AM
I guess I should have stated that I only do hobby work with the occasional job for "friends" so it's not a money maker and the 13" should do everything I can imagine doing in the future, it's actually bigger than i needed, I was after a 12" x 36" but I got the 13 x 40 for the same price, couldn't turn down a deal like that.

The only reason I would sell the 9" is for the money to do further upgrades, I can't justify spending much more of my income on the hobby without consulting a divorce lawyer first. I just think it will become a future problem if I sell but if I have to make repair parts for the 13" I can always go to one of my "friends".

There are people who would like it so selling shouldn't be a problem, it's kind of like selling your first car, you don't want to but it's something that has to be done, maybe!