X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fdew
    • Feb 2009

Your rides alternator

Lots of people on this list ride so maybe you can help me. Richard Williams makes a nice kit to turn a Honda motorcycle models 70,72,77,90,95,100,125,350, and 360. into a nice looking model of a antique generator. I may buy one but I would rather find a similar alternator that is smaller. It would fit my engine better. His is about 6 in high.

Do you know of a bike that has a small alternator?

Here is a link to his beautiful model

Thanks

Frank
  • winchman
    • Aug 2003

I'm not familiar with motorcycles, but the smallest alternator I've ever seen on a car was on a Suzuki engine.

It's a Nippon-Denso unit #8172. As best I can recall, it's a little over 3" in diameter.

Roger
    Any products mentioned in my posts have been endorsed by their manufacturer.

Comment

• topct
      • Jan 2004

A Honda trail 90 stator is about 5 inches in diameter.
      Gene

Comment

• macona
        • Aug 2006

BMW bikes have a pretty tiny alternator. As well as Kubota and Yanmar tractors.

The guy that makes the kits for the Gade and Mery engines in the pics on that page works here out of TechShop.

Comment

• kendall
          • Sep 2006

I would look around at various parts fiches online, may not give an actual measurement, but will give an idea of dimensions.

Looking at he model, he seems to have built the external housing for it

I'm surprised at the use of Honda alternators, most of them are fairly large three part units without a real case. (though if he built the case....)

But if you're looking to build the old style tall thin type generator, it's almost ready made for it.

I have the cases split on a bike in the garage now, I can get the height/width for you tomorrow sometime.

Some performance bikes use external alternators now, suzuki is the only one that comes to mind though, small diameter, but most are fairly long.

Ken
          Last edited by kendall; 04-10-2009, 09:37 PM.

Comment

• Circlip
            • Jun 2008

Moto-Guzzi Vee twins use a pancake type made by Bosch, so a case assembly would have to be made. Had a look at the old Mercury outboard engines??, they had a pancake coil under the flywheel.

Regards Ian.
            You might not like what I say,but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

Comment

• dereklola
              • Nov 2001

Google 45A mini alternator.
              We use them a lot on race cars with EFI but no other significant electrical load.

Comment

Working...
              X