PDA

View Full Version : OT, Bad health

tiptop
04-10-2009, 05:22 PM
Hi All,

Sorry to have to let you know but I have not been feeling up to par lately and have made several trips to the Doc and the local ER room.
Today we went to see the oncologist and came out with some bad news. I have hepatocellular carcinoma, liver cancer, stage IV, which does not respond to any known treatments. His prognosis is 8 to 12 months. Of course, we'll get a second opinion, if only to assuage others' concerns. We are reeling between disbelief and profound sorrow.

Once again, I am sorry to tell you all of this news.

Your friend, Jay

Tinkerer
04-10-2009, 05:38 PM
Sorry to hear this... try to live life to the fullest... take your family on a tropical vacation. Also take heart that the eggheads don't know it all have faith that thing can get better.

Peter.
04-10-2009, 05:45 PM
So sorry to hear this Jay. There's no other words I can think of :(

mayfieldtm
04-10-2009, 06:08 PM
So very sorry to hear the news.
I wish you and your love ones the very best.
God Bless!
Tom M.

Dawai
04-10-2009, 06:17 PM
Have fun, ignore the stress, enjoy the family and things you love.

That being said, I know of a older man who walked to the top of a mountain near Blairsville daily, he made them trips every day, rain shine and otherwise. Someone got onto him about being alone on the mountain. He was gave six months in the beginning. Made it over ten years. I think he outlived the doctor.

What he said was profound for a young man such as I was at the time.. I love this mountain and I can think of no other place better to leave this world from.

My plans are to be cremated, shook out over FORT mountain close by. We watch the sun come up over the mountain daily. Beautiful.
I have my plans made, but not prepaid. I keep waiting on hitting the lottery.

I have loved raising my first garden.. the shoots growing over a quarter inch in a hour. There will be enough Zuchini to give to the homeless shelters and food kitchen.

God bless you and yours.

BadDog
04-10-2009, 06:21 PM
There are no words to suit. I can only say that I'm truly sorry to hear this, and I wish you the best of everything in the time to come, enjoy all that you can. Cancer runs strong in my family, and I fully expect that within the next 10 years or so, I will be just where you are now . Good luck!

John Stevenson
04-10-2009, 07:17 PM
My plans are to be cremated, shook out over FORT mountain close by. We watch the sun come up over the mountain daily. Beautiful.
I have my plans made, but not prepaid. I keep waiting on hitting the lottery.

Ower Gert is going to have me cremated and then the ashes put into an egg timer so I can keep on working

Mcgyver
04-10-2009, 07:22 PM
Jay so sorry to hear that. Dont know what else to say.

Bob Ford
04-10-2009, 07:26 PM
You have my deepest sympathy, no real words to express. Enjoy the things you like/want. Do not give up.

Bob

oil mac
04-10-2009, 07:44 PM
Jay,
I am profoundly sorry to hear your news, At this worrying time, you will be in my prayers Your wife & family also will be in my thoughts at this most distressing & worrying period, Please keep your spirits up, both for yourself and them, I think i can speak for the rest of the forum in saying we are all with you & we hope to hear of a better news posting in the near future

Again kindest thoughts

Dan.

Mike Burdick
04-10-2009, 07:45 PM
Jay,

Whatever you do don't give up - keep fighting no matter what the doctors say! You are in my prayers.

What projects are you working on now or have just finished? Include some pictures please!

Thanks...

Mike

tiptop
04-10-2009, 07:58 PM
To you all,

I am far from giving up, as I have to much to do yet. It has been quite a shock to me also. I have wood work to finish for my wife and family and if you don't mind I would like to post some pictures of that. I have not been in the shop much since I have been working in the house since I got my shop remodel done. I need to re-organize the machine shop and get my lineshaft going. I just couldn't leave without seeing it in operation. My spirits are high as I do not have any fears, life or death. Thank you all for the support, I know this is not a comfortable topic and I appreciate your thoughts.

Jay

tony ennis
04-10-2009, 08:38 PM
:-(

Family mojo to you and yours

rockrat
04-10-2009, 09:16 PM
Very sorry to hear this. Go do what you want, enjoy life and family, have fun and by all means enjoy the now. That is what is important.

rock~

Tinkerer
04-10-2009, 09:16 PM
To you all,

I am far from giving up, as I have to much to do yet. It has been quite a shock to me also. I have wood work to finish for my wife and family and if you don't mind I would like to post some pictures of that. I have not been in the shop much since I have been working in the house since I got my shop remodel done. I need to re-organize the machine shop and get my lineshaft going. I just couldn't leave without seeing it in operation. My spirits are high as I do not have any fears, life or death. Thank you all for the support, I know this is not a comfortable topic and I appreciate your thoughts.

Jay
Jay I don't think anyone would mind seeing your woodworking projects... so post away. We all like pic's of projects. :)

doctor demo
04-10-2009, 09:57 PM
Jay, sorry to hear about Your situation.
I sent You a pm.

Steve

BillH
04-10-2009, 10:12 PM
Don't give up the fight and only do exactly what you want to do, don't take any crap from anyone. If you want to go flying, come on down to Florida, I'll take you up in an airplane and let you fly it. Sorry to hear about your bad luck. We are all here for you.

Your Old Dog
04-10-2009, 10:50 PM
............My spirits are high as I do not have any fears, life or death. ............
Jay

Jay, I hope you are a believer. For those of us who are, we know this isn't the end but only another part of the journey. My Brother In Law faced his end with dignity and it is amazing how much strength he gave his family. We all had a chance to say goodby to him and to tell him how much he meant to us. You have the same opportunity and I think it will also help to give you strength at the same time. Many here will pray for you to find the strength you need.

If you need someone to talk to outside your family you know there are many on this board ready to help in any way we can. Make your time count for as much as you want it to.

A.K. Boomer
04-10-2009, 11:07 PM
Big bummer bro, but like you said your far from giving up, keep the hope for the alternatives (like getting a second and third opinion - and also your own), even if you feel like its .001% --- ride that wave, all while covering your other bases that you have to, this sucks ----------- maybe, but it really does suck without hope, then and only then will it become hopeless,,,,, and if it becomes hopeless then it does mean that someone has given up, but not many on this board would do that -- because were problem solvers --- and even when it comes time to being the last problem we may have to deal with - its who we are and its what we do...
I "hope" so desperately that one of the hillbillies either made a mistake - or that you put your skills to work and prove them wrong.

You fight you war dawg ----- you fight like hell, and you kick its ass... AKB

KiddZimaHater
04-11-2009, 12:00 AM
You truly have my sympathy.
My father passed away in October of 2008, due to a stupid motorcycle accident.
And I just got back from burying my mother who passed away Friday, April 3rd 2009. Heart-attack.
Both parents gone in 6 months time.
Tell your family that you love them. Everyday.
Good luck, and hang in there.

rotate
04-11-2009, 12:44 AM
Oh man, I'm really sorry to hear that.

Both of my parents died early because of cancer (pancreatic and bone). Their last remaining months were a living hell because of chemo and radiation therapy which made them even more sick. Looking back, I think they should have enjoy as many days as possible having the food they like and going to places that that they enjoyed. Instead they were chronically tired and feeling nauseated.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't go for treatments or avoid any experimental drugs, but knowing what my parents went through, I would never do anything to make myself sicker if the prognosis was bleak.

Don't be brave about this. When the people that care and love you offer you things, accept them graciously and enjoy.

God bless.

hardtail
04-11-2009, 01:24 AM
I'm very sorry to hear this Jay and I'll send you an email in the next few days, if they are correct I guess it may come down to a quantity vs quality issue.

JRouche
04-11-2009, 01:54 AM
Jay, post all of the works you have here, wood or other. We are here to receive and enjoy your accomplishments. We are all crafts people and enjoy another's hand work.

Im sorry for your news you received. I hope you arent in any physical pain.

And I dont know your age or physical condition but if you can get out there, even to the smallest hill or highest mountain top and GO there. Keep going there.

Prayers are a very strong force. I KNOW this from first hand. I will pray. But I need more. I have your name, some background. But I work better from visual images. A pic of you would help.. I will pray.... JR

oldtiffie
04-11-2009, 02:06 AM
Hi Jay.

You really are one very fine fellow - in all respects.

I've read this thread several times.

I was hugely impressed with your posts (copied here) and your very positive attitude in this adversity. These posts read separately are wonderful and when read together are absolutely up-lifting.

Hi All,

Sorry to have to let you know but I have not been feeling up to par lately and have made several trips to the Doc and the local ER room.
Today we went to see the oncologist and came out with some bad news. I have hepatocellular carcinoma, liver cancer, stage IV, which does not respond to any known treatments. His prognosis is 8 to 12 months. Of course, we'll get a second opinion, if only to assuage others' concerns. We are reeling between disbelief and profound sorrow.

Once again, I am sorry to tell you all of this news.

Your friend, Jay

To you all,

Jay

I have always been impressed with your attitude in your endeavours and how you keep your priorities in proper order and the way you meet things head-on and people half-way.

I searched out your posts for the last 12 months and it is a litany of a true "can-doer". I was even more impressed when I re-read your most recent posts during what was probably a very difficult time for your and your family.

The search result was:
http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/search.php?searchid=272688

I would say that your openness, honesty and bravery will be a lot of comfort to those who have been through, or are in, or are yet to face circumstances similar to your own.

I sincerely wish you and yours all that you wish for yourselves.

abn
04-11-2009, 02:48 AM
Add my thoughts, prayers, and a heartfelt thanks for sharing your time and craft with us lot.

Evan
04-11-2009, 03:32 AM
Pick what you need to do carefully. Your horizon is close and later you will not be able to concentrate on things less important than staying alive. Do the things now that require the most energy and attention while you have some to spare. In your place I would not waste what remaining health I have in exchange for a few more days.

While you rail against the inevitable take heart that with acceptance comes peace. You will find it.

I wish you comfort and serenity in the time ahead.

Evan

toolsrul
04-11-2009, 10:06 AM
Sorry to hear about what your doc had to say, but he does not have a clue to what's available out there, to be honest with you. Suggestion - look for the cancer research center that focuses on your type & see what they have & they will ask that your doc refer you for that program. He will probably drag his feet because, sorry to say, he's loosing a customer, but be stern because it's your life here. Also alternative medicine is another avenue, which our drug companies don't want you to know about. There are supplements that help build up your immune system, the ph levels, concentrates on the needed supplements & vitamins, etc. People laugh at this because they don't have a problem but answer me this, why are the global drug companies trying to get control of the vitamin supplement companies??, because that stuff works & they don't make a dime. Prescription drug benefits are not worth the result. Search it out you'll be amazed at what you find & good luck.

Alistair Hosie
04-11-2009, 12:34 PM
Sorry also to hear of your trragic news for what it's worth I don't believe death is the end keep your faith if you have any God Bless Alistair

Scishopguy
04-11-2009, 01:10 PM
Jay...I can't add more than others have already said, just that I wish you the best. Be sure to tell the ones you love daily, that you love them. Our time here is far too short.

gnm109
04-11-2009, 03:45 PM
I too am saddened to hear of your situation. I hope that you can remain pain free. I've had more than enough of it in recent years myself. As mentioned, I do not believe that our period on earth is the end of things. We all face the same and there are no guarantees as to time.

Enjoy your time. I shall pray for you.

nheng
04-11-2009, 04:02 PM
You are in our thoughts and prayers. Your plan of attack sounds good and keep it up. I'm sure the west coast has good medical talent and the east coast has places like Dana-Farber Cancer Institute in Boston. Get the best advice you can. After having several family members and friends die of cancer in the last several years, it has opened my eyes to the "quality of life" issue. After the votes are in, enjoy life as best you can, especially the people around you. Den

Roy Andrews
04-11-2009, 09:49 PM
you never know what will happen. i was diagnosed with a rare form of cancer causing my body to poison itself. i went from a very athletic dirt bike racer to in a wheelchair crapping my pants in 4 months. i was sent home in Oct 2005 and told i would not make the holidays and definitely not 2006. i told the Dr he didn't know me, his response was no but i know this disease. seek other opinions i ended up at the Mayo clinic in Rochester Mn. they helped me a great deal and made my quality of life a lot greater. so far i continue to beat the odds. every time i see my Dr she is surprised. they don't know everything and a good Dr will admit it. i had two Dr's actually Tell me to get another opinion because their knowledge of my disease was not good enough. i appreciated that honesty. i had another Dr at the u of Michigan supposedly a leader in his specialty (my disease) and in the end he made a bunch of errors and according to later findings was learning at my expense. i guess he figured i was dying so he would see what he could learn from some experiments. more than anything just dont give up.

J. Randall
04-11-2009, 10:32 PM
Jay, so sorry to hear your news. I am like a lot of the others, don't just stop with one opinion, be proactive in you own care and search out alternatives. Seven yrs. ago I was told I had a yr. to eighteen months left tops, unless I had a heart transplant. Today I am much better than I was then and still have my own heart, so don't let them put a time frame on you.
Good Luck, and Best Wishes
James

mechanicalmagic
04-11-2009, 11:58 PM
Jay,

Do not listen to sad stories, or read them.

Take care of your "affairs" ASAP, so you can enjoy the rest of your life.

Every morning, ask yourself "What's the most fun thing I can do today?" Do it, until something better comes along.

It's a better life, with a sense of humor.

Dave J.

Dave Converse
04-12-2009, 10:27 AM
Just want to join others here with my thoughts and prayers for you and your family. We all will face what you're facing at some time. In fact, chances are that you'll outlive some or us posting here due to unforeseen events that can arise unannounced. Some of us will not have advance awareness with opportunity to settle our business and personal affairs.

As a believer, I am reminded of the reaction of Paul when facing possible death while chained in a Roman dungeon. To paraphrase him: "I don't know which is better.........to pass on and be with our Lord, or to survive and continue serving our Lord. I win either way." He sure had an uncommon but admirable attitude.

All the best to you.

DFMiller
04-12-2009, 11:40 AM
Jay, Sorry to hear your bad news.
It sounds like with your attitude you will make the best of the time you have. I look forward to seeing some pictures of your work.
Dave

wierdscience
04-12-2009, 02:27 PM
Jay,our prayers here are for you and yours.Don't ever quit doing what you love and loving what you do.

Al Messer
04-12-2009, 08:28 PM
Hang in there, Matey, as God is bigger and more powerful than all our diseases!!

Mickey_D
04-12-2009, 08:45 PM
Very sorry to hear that. Keep your head up and be strong for your family, time with them is what really matters now. Pass down all of the funny stories and wisdom that you can, drink good whiskey, get lots of speeding tickets, and don't miss a sunset with a cigar.

Robin R
04-15-2009, 12:01 AM
Jay, I was really sorry to hear your news, though I'm encouraged by your very positive attitude. It's really good that you are planning good things to do with family and friends, the trip to Europe should be a real blast.

I know the medical profession considers your situation hopeless, but there is a possibility I think you should consider.
My wife has recently been diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis and as a result joined a forum for fellow sufferers. One of the members just posted about a treatment she has just started, called Low Dose Naltrexone. This was originally developed for the treatment of Heroin addicts, though in a much higher dose. The effect was to block the Opioid receptors in the brain, which apparently wasn't that popular with the patients. In the low dose form it just suppresses them, which results in the body making more Endorphins. A major benefit of this is that it also boosts the immune system, apparently to a great extent.
Another member of the forum replied to say, she had been on LDN for several years and had not needed any of the much more dangerous meds since. Of more interest, she has a nephew who had terminal brain cancer, but after going on the LDN, the cancer miraculously went into remission and much of the damage the cancer had caused was reversed.
My wife has been researching this online and found a lot of information to back this up. The biggest problem seems to be getting a doctor to prescribe the drug, as it isn't approved for this sort of use. This seems to be because Naltrexone is out of its patent and as a generic drug is quite cheap, so the drug companies won't pay for the necessary studies to get FDA approval. Despite this problem, I think it would be well worth attempting to get your doctor to prescribe it for you, basically you don't have much to lose by trying it.
The son of the author Herman Wouk,after several years of illness was finally diagnosed with an advanced case of Multiple Sclerosis. After having no good results from the very expensive and dangerous conventional drugs, found out about a limited patient funded study of LDN. He managed to convince his doctor to prescribe it for him and in a very short time started to get a remarkable improvement. The MS has gone into remission for him and he has regained the use of his paralyzed left arm, as well as having his lost memories return.
He has a website detailing his experiences, which includes a half hour video telling his story, also listing some of diseases that can be treated, including the worst cancers. This is his website, http://www.googleldn.com/
If Evan reads this, it has also been found to be beneficial in treating Fibromyalgia.