PDA

View Full Version : Another Tailstock Question

Walt
02-02-2002, 11:45 AM
In the words of the immortal Sgt.Friday
"Just the facts please." I am attempting to restore a 14" VanDyke Churchill circa 1915 flat belt drive lathe. It was in use in an Auto shop since the 30's until about three years ago. It spent a season under a tarp before it found a roof in my shop (plentiful condensation rust). The main problem now is that I can't advance/retract the tailstock spindle with Morse Taper dead centerin it.
The hand wheel turns no more than 1/8 turn to the right it stops with a 'thunk' to the left with a 'mush'. Remove the handwheel; shows no rust on the stem or woodruff key and stem turns freely with an in out range of about 1". That's what I know. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Walt

------------------
Darn trash mail fills my inbox.Please remove NOSPAM from EMail for replies

Thrud
02-02-2002, 12:17 PM
Walt:
Try pouring pentration compound into the back of the tailstock or soak the whole unit in a bucket full of it for a while. Naval jelly may help but will phosphate the steel. Once the ram is free you can press the dead center out in a hydraulic press using a rod through the back of the tailstock spindle.

You should check with a local university or museum to see if this is the proper procedure to follow as they may have methods that work better as far as restoration goes.

Good Luck

Dave

jkilroy
02-04-2002, 09:10 AM
Soak the thing in a bucket of diesel or kerosene for a few days, that should break it loose.

------------------
James Kilroy

Walt
02-04-2002, 01:53 PM
Thanks for the help, gents. The spindle is moving! Apparently it is more set-up grease and less rust as I feel little grit and lots of friction...the hand wheel is very hard to turn still. More Solvent! Walt