PDA

View Full Version : Instructional Manuals For Gunsmithing

arblacksmith
04-12-2009, 09:52 AM
Just acquired several machine shop items (lathe, milling machine, drill press, etc) and want to start some gunsmithing projects. Can anyone recommend some good books or magazines that I can purchase to help me get started? I am a 1911 (.45 and 9mm) and .223 shooter and reloader.

RetiredFAE
04-12-2009, 10:01 PM
Jerry Kuhnhausen, The Colt .45 Automatic a Shop Manual,
Jerry Kuhnhausen, The Colt .45 Automatic, vol II
The Gun Digest Book of the AR15 by Patrick Sweeney
The AR-15 Complete Assembly Guide, 2nd Edition" Book by Walt Kuleck with Clint McKee

These four would be a good place to start.

biometrics
04-13-2009, 10:32 AM
The Gunsmith Kink series from Brownells...another good referrence.

also search for books by the late Major George C. Nonte.

smiller6912
04-13-2009, 12:37 PM
I use a few of the products from AGI. I really like the DVD format, it's easy to understand and always available for future review.
They are not cheap but they are very well done, detailed, and through. Hey, it's worth a look.
http://www.americangunsmith.com/index.php?id=1

38_Cal
04-13-2009, 04:12 PM
If so, you'll get to see little Bobby Dunlap, who was my lead gunsmithing instructor from 1975-1978 when I was attending school at Lassen College in Susanville, CA. The information you'll get from the courses is generally quite good. The other observation I would have is to buy every book on the subject you can find...even if you only get one "gem" from each one, you'll see different ways of doing the work that will help you to evolve your own workable methods based on what tools and skills you have available to you.

David
Montezuma, IA

quasi
04-13-2009, 05:56 PM
for your interests, Gun Digest book of Pistolsmithing.