View Full Version : What tool to buy

04-13-2009, 06:22 PM
For my lathe - Logan 10 - I have a set of bit holders (3/8) from Enco and this one from Grizzly. (http://www.grizzly.com/products/Lathe-Tool-Holder-Right-Hand/G7028)
The 3/8 are actually bit too small for my needs and I am phasing them out. Now what Grizzly bit holder should I buy for general turning purpose. So far I think this one (http://www.grizzly.com/products/Turning-Tool-Holder-w-Triangular-Insert-Right-Hand/G7034).

Sorry for the lame questions:)

Opinions, please?

Spin Doctor
04-13-2009, 06:40 PM
This is strictly my opinion so take it for what's worth. IMO you would be better off with a DCLN sized for 43X inserts. For inserts a CNMG. Shank size on the holder 1" Even if you have to make up a solid block for a tool post the increase in tool rigidity is worth it. Plus with the tool block you can throw a drill in the morse taper in the spindle and shoot the hole for boring bars and they will be dead nuts on. Make the hole as big as you largest boring bars and make step down bushings to match for your smaller bars

04-13-2009, 06:50 PM
I have both of the Grizzly tools, while they are good, the insert itself is only available from Grizzly, and the price of the inserts, has doubled in the last 2 years. I would look for tooling that uses a more universally available type or style of inserts.