PDA

View Full Version : Vacation

tiptop
04-14-2009, 07:20 PM
Hello All again,

Well the wife, Karen and I decided to take a vacation. We sent in for new passports and when they get here we are taking off for Europe. We don't have any formal plans or schedule and figured we would travel where ever the mood struck when it did. I expect to be gone for a month or two, but we'll see. They may boot me out before I'm done. If any of you folks think you could put up with me for an afternoon let me know. Karen is quite happy with busying herself while I am out playing, so drop me a note. Or if you think of something I shouldn't miss in 9 or ten countries in the western half lets hear about that. I think we are going to start out in Spain as we have a dear friend there.

If you have contact info or a note, please use my email, the box here fills quickly. Thanks "jayhahn@charter.net"

Thanks in advance for any input or derogetory remarks, Jay

John Stevenson
04-14-2009, 07:31 PM
Jay,

Dunno about a whole afternoon but I reckon I can spare a day if the midlands area of the UK is on the cards for your trip.

tiptop
04-14-2009, 07:57 PM
John,
Yes we are planning on swinging through and around the "english" speaking countries as well. I thought a day was longer than an afternoon, I will save some extra energy for your place. Thanks for the offer, it means a lot.
Jay

BobC
04-14-2009, 08:11 PM
Jay,

Can't help you with the logistics as we are now back in Florida but don't leave Europe without spending some time in Germany. I have spent a good amount of time in the Munich area and enjoyed it thoroughly.

Have a great vacation.

Bob

Al Flipo
04-14-2009, 08:13 PM
Why is it that when our Europeans friends come to visit us here in north America we are expected to pick them up from the airport and then provide first class in house hotel service for the duration of their stay.
On the other hand, you go there, and you are on your own,
they have very little time for you.

BTW..do some guided and all paid bus tours when you are there.
This..."We don't have any formal plans or schedule and figured we would travel where ever the mood struck when it did"..is going to cost you a fortune.

tiptop
04-14-2009, 08:39 PM
Al,
I know and I don't care, I can't take it with me and the wife is set. Thanks for the concern.
Jay

Pherdie
04-14-2009, 08:55 PM
You may want to consider some tours while there. The ticket/entry lines can get pretty long for some highly visited sites and tours usually just march through the front door without waiting, allowing you to see much more than doing the line wait. Downside, much more structured, time wise.

Also, enjoy the unadulterated, fresh food, much better than the food here in the U.S., in my opinion.

Most of all, have a wonderful time seeing all those things you've heard and read about all your life and sharing them with your loved one.

Bon Voyage!!!

Fred

Evan
04-14-2009, 09:35 PM
don't leave Europe without spending some time in Germany. I have spent a good amount of time in the Munich area and enjoyed it thoroughly.

I totally agree. Southern Germany is beautiful and full of small historical towns with history going back a thousand years. One town in particular is very worth seeing, Rothenburg ob der Tauber. It survived WWII largely undamaged thanks to the orders of an American General who struck it from the target list because he liked it and knew there was no reason to destroy it.

We have been there twice and it is the best surviving example of a fortified walled city left in Europe. The city wall is intact and you can walk it along the ramparts for most of the way around. The entire town is very compact and mostly restricted to pedestrians only during the day. The shop keepers all speak english and the innkeepers are very accomodating. Prices are very reasonable.

This is most of the town of Rothenburg. The name refers to the red tile roofs on nearly every building.

http://ixian.ca/pics6/rotpan.jpg

This is the Town Square in the evening.

http://ixian.ca/pics6/rburg.jpg

Don't miss Cathy's Christmas Shop in Rothenburg. It's Christmas all year 'round there.

hardtail
04-14-2009, 09:40 PM
Any plans to see some eastern Europe, Budapest and other destinations are spectacular........

Don't know about those dreary UK types, they have bland food, men wear garters for their socks (the cross dressers sit in Parliment) crooked teeth and drive on the wrong side of the road..........theres only one place I ever want to see garters and thats on some long luscious female legs........LOL

doctor demo
04-14-2009, 09:51 PM
John,
Yes we are planning on swinging through and around the "english" speaking countries as well. I thought a day was longer than an afternoon, I will save some extra energy for your place. Thanks for the offer, it means a lot.
Jay

Jay, how cool would it be if We showed up there on the same day?
I'm not sure John could take it though:D

Steve

speedy
04-14-2009, 09:57 PM
Any plans to see some eastern Europe, Budapest and other destinations are spectacular........

Don't know about those dreary UK types, they have bland food, men wear garters for their socks (the cross dressers sit in Parliment) crooked teeth and drive on the wrong side of the road..........theres only one place I ever want to see garters and thats on some long luscious female legs........LOL

And their families ties are also very close;)

tiptop
04-14-2009, 10:06 PM
Steve,
He would be in the pub for sure.
Jay

J Tiers
04-14-2009, 11:12 PM
If you will be headed down further South, IMO the city of Dubrovnik is worth seeing, or at least it was 40 years ago. People who have been there since say the evidence of Serbian shelling is virtually erased. Back then you could walk the entire city wall, and I understand you still can.

Split is of some interest, but Dubrovnik is probably more impressive and scenic than either Split or Zadar, which you will likely pass through on your way.

dp
04-14-2009, 11:46 PM
A trip to Spain should include a tour of Barcelona if at all possible. There's no place on earth quite like it, and tourism is developed to a fine art there. Don't be surprised if you see someone you know.

Evan
04-15-2009, 02:36 AM
Don't be surprised if you see someone you know.

While standing on the top of a 1000 year old fortress tower in the small and largely unknown town of Eppstein, Germany, we met some people we didn't know but quickly determined that two weeks prior they had been out for a morning jog while visiting a mutual friend that is our neighbour. They knew where we lived when we described it as they recalled jogging past our driveway.

What are the chances of being within a few hundred feet of someone you have never met on one day and then once again two weeks later halfway around the planet?

John Stevenson
04-15-2009, 04:14 AM

A very small price to pay for being surrounded by this much cheap and easily available machinery and engineering supplies. You don't need good teeth with real beer and not that refrigerated cat's piss.

Do we drive on the wrong side ? , never really noticed, everyone I know drives on the same side as me.

Bguns
04-15-2009, 05:30 AM
Old Habits are hard to break.. When In Engand, look the opposite way before stepping into Roadway...

Other than that, Europe and GB are a Blast :) ..

Only spent 4 years stationed there.....

And when I went Back for Vacation/ 50th of D Day in 94 , it was A Bit more $$$$...

John, it is nice to think your Traffic system is OK, but almost everyone else drives other way round...

My State is what, 3 times bigger than England..... 570,380 square miles (1,477,277 kmē), and we have 49 more...

Aussies can say something... But we have USA types have more Bulk :( Machinery and Iron :)

Norman Atkinson
04-15-2009, 05:33 AM
Europe??? . I have only got back to the UK in the past week.
I could write reams but the most important thing is that prices have rocketted all over Europe. I am not talking about what happened in the dim and distant past but since last september.

John Stevenson
04-15-2009, 08:51 AM
John, it is nice to think your Traffic system is OK, but almost everyone else drives other way round...

My State is what, 3 times bigger than England..... 570,380 square miles (1,477,277 kmē), and we have 49 more...

Aussies can say something... But we have USA types have more Bulk :( Machinery and Iron :)

No our traffic system sucks, we are too over crowded but it's the only one we have :rolleyes:
Driving in the States or in Europe doesn't faze me, just different rules and the vehicles are designed for it.

Size isn't everything, in fact it can be a big disadvantage, all too often I have seen posts on machinery that's 3,000 miles away.
When I search Ebay now I restrict my searches to 50 miles of my post code knowing that collection is only a couple of hours away tops and I'm never disappointed on choice.
Plus we have this wonderful underground transport system with like minded members of various news groups and forums.

I recently bought two small CNC machines from a college in Ireland, a quick phone call and they were loaded onto a British army container due back into the UK and dropped off at a base about 25 miles away.
All paid for with favours and I even got a salute on collection :D

vincemulhollon
04-15-2009, 01:07 PM
Why is it that when our Europeans friends come to visit us here in north America we are expected to pick them up from the airport and then provide first class in house hotel service for the duration of their stay.

1) No public transport here, utterly great fantastic public transport there.

2) Go thru the wrong neighborhood here, worst case get head blown off. Go thru wrong wrong neighborhood over there, worst case stuck eating haggis for dinner.

3) Real first class hotels over there. First class over here means maybe they have an icy cold pool, and some fake marble in the lobby.

So, advice to original poster, from someone been there done that:

1) Take advantage of the public transport instead of traffic jams, license law and insurance problems, and parking hassles.

2) Don't be afraid of exploring the non-touristy areas and hanging with the locals (but don't talk politics, and for your own safety try to convince them you're canadian by wearing maple leafs and hockey tee shirts and saying eh alot)

3) There are few "middle class" hotels over there, its either suitable for a spoilt arabian shiek or its a student hostel over there.

John Stevenson
04-15-2009, 02:08 PM

Al, never had that in the US, so can't comment.
In the UK we don't expect to collect from the airport because airports are for flying in and flying out, not for moving around, the place isn't that big.
No matter where you are in the UK a drive of less than 2 -1/2 hours will get you with wet feet ;)

Most folk land in say London, get to their hotel, visit round a bit then hire a car and move out area by area staying overnight either in hotels or small bed and breakfast places.
All areas have a Tourist information website where you can pre book.

We are going down to Anglesey in July this year for a friends party and have book in a little B&B just up the road. Never stayed there before but I can bet we will be most welcome and it will cost about Ģ45 per night.

Ries
04-15-2009, 03:30 PM
Things to see-
In Munich, there is one of the best technology museums in the world-
http://www.discover-munich.info/museums_munich.php?cat=18546&id=18675
I havent been, but everybody who has says it is really great.

In Paris, there is another great tech museum-
http://www.arts-et-metiers.net/?lang=ang
Now this one I have been to, and its incredible.
Of course, there are probably another 50 museums in Paris, and lots of em are great.

In Florence Italy, if you are at all interested in arms and armor, there is the most incredible museum.
Its not on many tourist guides, because most tourists in Florence go see paintings and sculpture, but every single male in Florence went to this as a kid-
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stibbert_museum
12,000 weapons and armor. In a private collection, still in the house Stibbert lived in. Well, 3 houses, really.
This is just an incredible collection- swords, pikes, daggers, flintlocks, armor, room after room of the absolute best in the world. Armor for horses, camels, and elephants. Armor for children. It just goes on and on. On certain days, the japanese samurai armor room is open- its the third larges collection of japanese armor in the world- the other two are in Japan.

If cars are your thing, Turin Italy, headquarters of Fiat, has a really great auto museum, plus the original Fiat building, which has a test track on the roof.
http://www.bella-torino.com/museo-dell-automobile.html
http://www.arup.com/italy/project.cfm?pageid=3895

Of course, if you like car museums, there are a ton of great ones in Europe.
The Bugattis at the Schlumpf, in Mulhouse France, are the best in the world.
http://www.europeancarweb.com/museums/0205ec_schlumpf_collection/index.html

120 or so Bugattis at any one time.

Lots of incredible museums in London as well.
The Imperial War Museum is one of my faves. But the V&A, and many more, are all worth visiting.

hardtail
04-15-2009, 07:30 PM
Any plans ro see the Scandanavian countries? They still don't shave there pits and legs but it's blonde and no so noticeable........LOL

I don't think an organized tour would suit your pace, if you get a little worn out you can stay somewhere for a few days and rest up? Maybe time to buy a VW van and go back and tour like you used too..........??????

Roy Andrews
04-16-2009, 01:27 AM
i haven't been there since 87 but have done a few tours on motorbike and train and enjoyed every Minuit. start in Ireland then thru London and under to France. tgv to Paris and down thru Barcelona then around the med coast to France again. just south of Marseilles is a little town called saint-cyr-sur-mer. don't mention my name in bars there. continue on to Monaco and around to Rome. (I'm not religious but two places i have visited that have left an impression where the Vatican and the holy city in Israel if you make it to Israel take the time to go a little further and see the pyramids from Alexandria Egypt.) OK back on track head back north thru Italy and cross the alps in one of the passes near mt blanc. then thru Switzerland Germany Denmark and Norway. Oslo is a beautiful city and you will leave from a high point on the trip. if you make it into southern Spain try to get across into morocco. i found the people friendly and nice and your wife will enjoy the shopping. hopefully someone with more up to date experience can chime in and correct me on anything that i misremember. I'm one of those light beer drinkers and preferred the amstel light in Europe and skoal in Britannia.

Benta
04-16-2009, 05:05 AM
I'll second Ries' suggestion of Deutsches Museum in Munich, plan for a full day there.
If you are in Munich anyway, add BMW World/BMW Museum to your itinerary as well.
And don't forget a Biergarten visit. ;)

Benta.

old-biker-uk
04-16-2009, 11:34 AM
Can't pick you up from airport, my cooking is cr*p but there's 'welcome' on the mat, beer in the fridge & my version of coffee on the stove.
PM me if you are headed West of Bristol.
Mark
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/remark/pages/workshop/workshopdoor.html

J Tiers
04-16-2009, 07:41 PM
The Deutsches Museum is certainly a must-see if you are around there, but anyone who says "plan a day" is nutty. A week is more like it, unless your interests are quite narrow.

BTW... Dubrovnik:

http://www.travel-tidbits.com/tidbits/002636.shtml

aboard_epsilon
04-16-2009, 09:06 PM

BTW..do some guided and all paid bus tours when you are there.
This..."We don't have any formal plans or schedule and figured we would travel where ever the mood struck when it did"..is going to cost you a fortune.

we put Stephen Thomas up for three nights when he came here ..so you got that a bit wrong .
i took him to see the sites of wales and i think he really liked it here .

the good thing about the UK is, if you plan right, you can probably visit 2 or three destinations a day.

nothing much in Spain ..a few roman monuments ..the rest is dried up and parched ..it'll make you drink their cheap bear a lot ..that's all there is going for it .

this country can be absolutely great if the rain holds off ..lets hope it does for you .

all the best.markj

hardtail
04-16-2009, 09:11 PM
You might want to try the longboats on the canals if your in GB.........

Norman Atkinson
04-17-2009, 04:19 AM
I must take issue with MarkJ about Spain.
Obviously, he took the classic route complete with a 'KissMe Quick' sombrero and a Chinese furry donkey and frequent visits to the loo with Montezuma's Revenge from drinking the Sangria. Maybe the one pipe system of drainage which expressly kept for the English ( or Welsh) tourist population didn't agree with him.
It is an age old technique of piping in drinking water by day and piping out sewage by night. Understandably, it is an acquired 'taste'.

I mean- we the 'Dona' and I- have a giggle. We have a date palm tree from the time we bought our little home over there some 32 years ago. We were sort of 'peseta millionaires' as were/are one in 6 of the population of England.
What the Principality of Wales has as a statistic is unknown. The Lord Lieutenant of Wales's widow lives over the road is quite ordinary. Doesn't run a LPG car and has a cut glass English accent sort of thing- former Officer in the WRNS and doesn't need a Foxcub yacht- but who does? Rather drink Pimms on the balcony with the lights over the pool - but one does- don't you think?

Of course, the Romans have been there. I mean they have been in Welsh Wales and gave up digging copper long before I was born. The Welsh have other mines. All of them are closed- worthless. The slate mines in Gogh Gogh Gogh or some long and equally unpronouncable 'church of Saint Mary thing with slate spoil' is there. Go if you must! The Romans had the right idea and buggered off smartish.

Me, I like Spain. I'm not overly fussed if the King comes over from Mallorca from his place next to the local gasworks and gets his lobster 'carry out' when I am entertaining my bank manager. As Rudyard Kipling quipped- 'Nor lose the Common Touch' Poor bugger- that Franco fellow did him no favours!
I mean, I pay my dues to Age Concern Menorca. I get invites to the Masons.
Bit funny, opening in the Third and closing in the First but the barbies are great. We send a lot to the Church. We are not 'Left Footers' but so what?

Yea, Spain is great. I mean the old one eared Arab called Xoroi with the abuction of the local village maiden( was she, really) is long gone from the Cuevas. It's now a night club and the drunken cries of 615 in the Methodist Hymn book- Cwm Rhonda and 'Father's Pants will fit poor Willy, will he wear them, willy Hell', will shatter the night sky.

Ah, wails for ever. Go to Spain- you never know.

Nos Da!

Norm

jkilroy
04-17-2009, 05:10 AM
"The Romans had the right idea and buggered off smartish."

Norm, I have been reading your posts long enough that I understand them, worse yet, the humor is growing on me!

Bguns
04-17-2009, 05:47 AM
Got to spend some time in London, 1994, 50th of D Day..

Courtesy of HRH..

Not a bad deal at all .. Got 2 days and nights at Union Jack Club. Right by Waterloo Station.. :)

Just a Barnsley, who was born a Cameron :)

Strange how that works, out in the Colonies... :)

Norman Atkinson
04-17-2009, 05:59 AM
Ah, so you JK are unmasked.

So it was you that travelled in front of every British and US guy and wrote 'Kilroy was here'

We never met- more's the pity.

It was off the coast of Mljet just North of Dubrovnic( yes JT, been to the u-boat pens at Sibenic and Sweaty Stephan- and all that jazz). Anyway, I was diving along some dan makers with the cable strung out off the headland. We all do it- don't we? And I duck dived down to see the langoustine pots and lo, and behold, there was the keel and ribs of a Roman Galley at about 10 meters. So, I was alone and dived about half way, surfaced and climbed up on deck. So one of the Jugoslav crew and I jumped back in to the plonk, I dived down with 'Jacko' swimming as buddy and got down to amphora coralled onto the keelson.

No airbottles- well, you know? and Jacko followed down to put a line on one of the amphora handles --And I read in Latin--- Kilroy was here!

Now the tiny island of Mljet is claimed to be where St Paul was -----shipwrecked. Honest, the locals say it was not Malta but Mljet( rotten American spelling).

So, did they feed the first Kilroy to the lions in Rome?

Just a thought, just a thought.

Norm

Norman Atkinson
04-17-2009, 06:23 AM
Bguns,
I have a 60th coming up on the 21st of this month. Queenies birthday- three dead men- my boys. I think that 'the 50th onto the Beaches' must have been something. I was just too young but I met up with a Waaf fighter controller on D-Day who was taking her old man back. We were chewing the cud as old 'pale blue jobs' do and she was short of a RAF cap badge.
Waafs always marched with their badge on their caps but wore one on their shoulder bag. Sort of one finger pointing their secret things in the right direction. Well, I bull****ted my old badge and it 'went onto the beaches'
I wrapped a few quid in her envelope with my '**** hawks' for some old tossers to toast - well, a few of my mates who didn't make it.

Last night, the old Colonel and I were pi55ed- still am. Reserve Forces Lodge of Northumbria- me, a guest. They don't have f***-ing corporals but we were having a lecture on - well, 'Dreadnoughts' and there was a bleeding great model 'Bismarck' on the Square and the guy- a diving RN first Looey was flapping model Stringbags about from Ark Royal.
It got all excited and the Dark Blue jobs came out of hiding and as I had had one of Esmond's Swordfish 'drivers' and his Stringbag in me hangar, I thought that it was my turn.

I felt quite young again. Came the dinner and they were playing all these tunes in the background. I found myself singing 'The D-day Dodgers'

After all, I'm 46 Group, Transport Command and a Goldstar of 31

Cheers

N

Bguns
04-17-2009, 06:50 AM
Norm,

Just a pup at 46.

Fairey Swordfish to the Young uns :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairey_Swordfish

http://www.kbismarck.com/article2.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No._31_Squadron_RAF

Please Correct me if I have sent them astray :)