PDA

View Full Version : Ball Turner in HSM

JCHannum
04-15-2009, 07:44 AM
I just got the latest Home Shop Machinist magazine. It includes a very good article by Jan Michaels on making a boring head type ball turner.

It is a complete, dedicated unit that incorporates a QC mount as well as the adjustable head so a boring head need not be sacrificed in the making. All in all a very nice concept and write up.

Jan is known here as TGTools, and offers a selection of tools, kits and plans through Tall Grass Tools.

http://www.tallgrasstools.com/

Norman Atkinson
04-15-2009, 08:44 AM
Thanks, JC! I went through the 'goodies' on offer and noted the George Thomas lathe tool setting gauge.
This led me to recall that George also published designs for a small boring head in Model Engineer then in Model Engineers Workshop Manual.
Later, I recall, Jack Radford published his own version - but replaced the Morse Taper shank in the GHT for a spindle and called it a Ball Turning Device which is featured in HemingwayKits.
Suffice to say that I made the boring head.

So there we have it

cheers

N

JCHannum
04-15-2009, 09:56 AM
Norm;
Guy Lautard massaged the GHT boring head and offered drawings of it. I made one in the smaller size as I had a Benchmaster mill at the time and needed a small boring head.

http://i320.photobucket.com/albums/nn351/jchannum/P1060540.jpg

Roy Andrews
04-16-2009, 01:39 AM
isn't that how it always works i am just about finished with my ball turner along these lines. it will be nice to see how close i came to a good product. or maybe it wont even be close and more scrap will have been made. now i don't even want to see. cancel my subscription before its too late. now dam-it now. whoever started this post thanks for nothing. i hope a mouse craps in your mouth while your sleeping.

clutch
05-08-2009, 06:36 PM
I saw Jan's effort at Names this year. Made me subscribe to the magazine. I just bought the plan set as a way to say thanks. From what I can tell, he submits good content to the magazine from time to time.

Clutch

tiptop
05-08-2009, 11:00 PM
Roy, good to see you haven't lost your sense of humor. What ever style you are making will work just fine.
Jay