PDA

View Full Version : GRIPE AT MY BRIT friends..

Dawai
04-15-2009, 12:29 PM
http://z.about.com/d/southernfood/1/I/C/C/scotcheggs.jpg

So, how long were you Brits going to keep these all to yourself?? I got a lady friend with a traveling food trailer I just emailed the reciepe to.. she sells things on sticks to people who walk around eating them...

John S: got me started on Newcastle beer.. My doggie Butchie loved it more than me. He'd climb your leg and take it away from you.. I still chuckle to remember him running about with the box on his head like a retarded child..

So.. perhaps that was the motive on not sharing? A pitt bulldog with egg-gas?? Ya'll bred these dogs for Sport and we called them American Pitt.. ha.. relabeled??

Scotch eggs.. for you other americano's..

camdigger
04-15-2009, 12:47 PM
A hard boiled egg surrounded by pork sausage meat, then deep fried....

A heart attack in the making. Worse than an egg mcmuffin. I've known about them for decades, made a few, ate more, I just don't think they're really good food.:rolleyes:

Now, an egg scrambled with onion between a slice of ham and a slice of processed cheese in a toast sandwich... That's good eatin'. quick too. My 10 year old'll whip you a couple up if'n you drop by...

Norman Atkinson
04-15-2009, 01:33 PM
But David, Newcastle Broon Ale is NOT brewed in Newcastle. It's brewed in Edin-bugger( sorry Edinburgh)

Scotch eggs are not Scotch. Whatever gave you that daft idea?

Me??? well, Monday night I have 15 courses or more to devour. Local lads- Chinese- to be sure. None of this local muck and none of these deep fried Mars Bars. I do confess to deep fried and battered Haggis and chips but not deep fried Camembert cheese. We are collecting for the local hospital. I'm one of the members of the--- oh, David, I am, Health Authority- and it is for the - more confessions - cardio vascular unit.

And more confessions- I live- honestly- I live in the grounds of the local mental hospital which has a separate wing for alcoholics on the Newcastle Broon.

And no-- I have mates in the doggy world( shhhhhhh- freemasons in Sirius - the dog star-Lodge-- and they don't take dogs who have been fed on Newcastle Brown Ale!

It's a funny old world. I suppose it is better than the Scots making Bambi Burgers which they do.

Cheers

Norm

Peter.
04-15-2009, 01:44 PM
Scotch eggs are great - I love them as a snack :)

Mcgyver
04-15-2009, 02:18 PM
A heart attack in the making. Worse than an egg mcmuffin. I've known about them for decades, made a few, ate more, I just don't think they're really good food.:rolleyes:

i remember a friend telling about a chip truck, maybe in Scotland, that would take a small pizza, dump a load of chips in the middle, some gravy then fold it over and deep fry the whole thing......that has any American fast food beat cold, talk about heart attack on a plate

digger_doug
04-15-2009, 02:29 PM
"It's a funny old world. I suppose it is better than the Scots making Bambi Burgers which they do. "

Heck, their delicious....last count I had 21 in my side field
staring at me when I drive by. (they only run about 200'
then stop and stare some more)

Never tried deep frying 'em though.

Corn oil, or genuine lard ?

Davek0974
04-15-2009, 03:53 PM
Scotch eggs are great - I love them as a snack :)

Yep, here too, luv 'em.

That and pork pies, both great snack food in fact one of each will do nicely thanks.

Not so keen on the newky brown though, i prefer real ale.

Dave

Dawai
04-15-2009, 04:00 PM
Digger: You roll that rascal over after you get his clothes off and the gutbag out.. (I hate that last part)

Get the "backstrap" next to the backbone in front of the hips kinda a piece of meat about a foot long or so and about the size of your wrist to forearm.. called a Tenderloin.. When you fry that up in a lil Hogfat you can take a fork and cut it up without a knife, cut it crossways of the grain or you'll make me cuss.. I've gave it out on my buttermilk scratch bisquits, Makes many a hunter in the woods ask for you to move in and his wife leave. Cooked over a wood fire adds to the taste.

Funny, get a billy goat undressed, it looks just like a deer.. but no tenderloin.. I was dissapointed pretty bad.. Them are some nasty animals too. Stink.. A beef-goat is one step up, but still not a clean "happy and healthy WILD" deer..

Heart attack? I am probably thirty years overdue.. but.. I am relaxed and having fun still..

Norm: glad to hear from you old bud.. I was poking at Alistair too..

TO make the eggs here a bit ago.. well.. I don't listen to no cooking show.. I made up a flour buttermilk batter, some cornmeal, a egg, and enough Tony Catchery's creole seasoning to make it spicy.. Rolled the eggs in the sausage real thin like.. dipped them in the batter and dropped them in the hot veggie oil..

I almost got sexually excited cutting and eating the first. THE dog whimpered after I gave him a bite. He wanted the rest..

digger_doug
04-15-2009, 04:12 PM
"Digger: You roll that rascal over after you get his clothes off and the gutbag out.. (I hate that last part)"

Whoa, Whoa, Whoa...just a minute here.

I can't do the "deecey dicey, sleecey slicey" thing.

I'm not a bambi lover, just queasy, very queasy.

I let other people hunt my place, they deliver
good stuff ground and wrapped in paper...

it's just that I've got to get these guy's some corrective lense's,
or start having to build better tree stands for them....

They aren't controlling the population the way they should.

Spin Doctor
04-15-2009, 05:11 PM
http://z.about.com/d/southernfood/1/I/C/C/scotcheggs.jpg

So, how long were you Brits going to keep these all to yourself?? I got a lady friend with a traveling food trailer I just emailed the reciepe to.. she sells things on sticks to people who walk around eating them...

John S: got me started on Newcastle beer.. My doggie Butchie loved it more than me. He'd climb your leg and take it away from you.. I still chuckle to remember him running about with the box on his head like a retarded child..

So.. perhaps that was the motive on not sharing? A pitt bulldog with egg-gas?? Ya'll bred these dogs for Sport and we called them American Pitt.. ha.. relabeled??

Scotch eggs.. for you other americano's..

One of my two favorite Brit foods. The other is Bubble and Squeak

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bubble_and_squeak

Spin Doctor
04-15-2009, 06:01 PM
On top of the topic they also get people on their version of American Idol (which is what AI is based on IIRC) who actually can sing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luRmM1J1sfg

John Stevenson
04-15-2009, 06:38 PM
Don't underestimate the British Doris.

A Doris the the colloquial term for any lady over 35, 160 pounds and usually with a figure of 38 - 38 - 42 and looks like a cross between a bag of metric spanners and a Scammell front bumper.

Unlike on most US TV shows where every female is portrayed by some young film star type in the UK the person most likely to be doing this job is Doris.

They are dependable, mostly tame, trustworthy and the salt of the earth.

Last job I had at the piano factory I finished up on management, running 5 shops with about 12 guys and 32 Doris's.
This was on top of maintenance on the 5 shop with three or four fitters.

The previous manager used to lock himself in his office and dole out jobs as needed and shuffle paper all day. He would get the months production figures and sort out what was needed and then organise the work force giving the jobs out piecemeal.

When I took over I knew I didn't have time for all this so just took the months productions figures, stuck it on the office door and let then sort it out for themselves.

To save trying to remember 32 different names they all got called Doris.

Worked brilliantly, they would look at what was needed and spend a day on one machine, then a day on another and if one broke down they just moved machines until it could be mended.
End of the month the quotas were always met and they would be working on stock knowing that certain parts were always needed.

Most are retired now and in any case the firm was sold on so it no longer exist but I still see them around the local town, they always tell Ower Gert that John was the best manager we ever had, rubbish they managed themselves and did a brilliant job of it as well.

Funniest was leaning out of the office and shouting DORIS and 10 women came running. The laugh was we never had a real Doris............

Norman Atkinson
04-15-2009, 07:19 PM
'Just a wee Deoch and Doris?' I hadn't realised that you were old enough to write Sir Harry Lauder's songs.

Alistair- perhaps but not you.

A piano accompaniment as well???

Norm

Rustybolt
04-15-2009, 07:50 PM
And more confessions- I live- honestly- I live in the grounds of the local mental hospital which has a separate wing for alcoholics on the Newcastle Broon.

When my wife taught for a year at Oxford in the eighties she 'disovered' Newcastle. Her landlord said there was a special ward in London Hospital for folks what drunk Newcastle.

'Just a wee Deoch and Doris?'

My late stepfather would sing that song , "Glasgow Belongs to Me",when he was drunk. He had a beautiful bass singing voice.

John Stevenson
04-15-2009, 08:02 PM
I can't understand why more engineering types don't drink it.
Tastes good and when you go into a pub they just top the bottle and give it to you, you never get a glass but drink it straight oot the bottle - less washing up and when you do surface in the morning and find a half full bottle behind the setee / bed / lathe [ delete as required ] you can still drink it as it doesn't need a head to taste OK

Engineered to perfection. :D

Liger Zero
04-15-2009, 08:27 PM
Might get shot here but my experience with imported Newcastle left me under the impression that it was the reason ya'll talk funny over there. I'd talk funny too if I had to drink that.

Maybe it was just an off batch. I hope it was an off batch. I've heard such good things about Newcastle from friends and it was highly disappointing.

Now Guinness, I get it when I can afford it. That's my preferred poison when Sarnac (local coolant mixture/intoxicant) isn't available.

Mcostello
04-15-2009, 11:13 PM
What's bubble and squeek? Afraid to ask as I think I just made one right now!

10KPete
04-15-2009, 11:59 PM
Newcastle is my favorite beverage!! You guys are makin' me very hungry and thirsty. I'll go to the 'fridge now.....

Pete

jkilroy
04-16-2009, 12:41 AM
The eggs look great, do you boil the egg first or make a ball of meat and crack the egg into the middle? Going to master that for sure.

Not a big fan of Newcastle, bland stuff with not much bite (hops), prefer a good double IPA myself.

tattoomike68
04-16-2009, 01:43 AM
On the 4th of july I had a friend from New Zealand turn me on to Mint Sauce. She also gave us a lesbian naked girl show about 2:00AM.

My next 4th of July party might be 400 people after she put on her show. (last year was about 150 people)

I will cook some scotch eggs at the next party.

speedy
04-16-2009, 02:01 AM
The eggs look great, do you boil the egg first or make a ball of meat and crack the egg into the middle? Going to master that for sure.

Not a big fan of Newcastle, bland stuff with not much bite (hops), prefer a good double IPA myself.

Scotch eggs

Serves 4

Ingredients:
1 cup soft breadcrumbs
1 teaspoon tomato sauce
1/2 teaspoon curry powder
500g sausage meat
4 eggs hard-boiled
1 cup dry breadcrumbs

Method:
Mix the breadcrumbs, tomato sauce, curry powder and sausage meat together. Divide into four. Pack each quarter firmly around a hard-boiled egg, using wet hands. Roll in the dry breadcrumbs. Microwave on High (100% power) for 1 minute, turn and microwave for a further 1 minute.

I use my eggs soft boiled and use corn kernals with shelled peas in the sausage meat mix. Hey, any variable is OK right?

Shelling the eggs is optional:D

derekm
04-16-2009, 09:39 AM
Scotch eggs

Serves 4

Ingredients:
1 cup soft breadcrumbs
1 teaspoon tomato sauce
1/2 teaspoon curry powder
500g sausage meat
4 eggs hard-boiled
1 cup dry breadcrumbs

Method:
Mix the breadcrumbs, tomato sauce, curry powder and sausage meat together. Divide into four. Pack each quarter firmly around a hard-boiled egg, using wet hands. Roll in the dry breadcrumbs. Microwave on High (100% power) for 1 minute, turn and microwave for a further 1 minute.

I use my eggs soft boiled and use corn kernals with shelled peas in the sausage meat mix. Hey, any variable is OK right?

Shelling the eggs is optional:D

Curry powder?- tomato sauce?- microwave? a travesty...

The secret is a free range egg and really good, well seasoned, sausage meat
This means Salt, pepper and rosemary, a good well reared pork from the "Hand and Spring" (fore-quarter or Boston Butt to you over there).

We use local British Saddleback pigs for our pork.

The seasoning ratio is 1 tablespoon of salt, 1 tablespoon of coarsely ground black pepper, 1.5 tablespoons of finely chopped rosemary to 2.5Kg of meat
the fat content of the meat needs to .... "look right".

Deep fried not microwaved - eggs even hardboiled ones without shells have exploded in microwaves

Circlip
04-16-2009, 09:52 AM
Errrr, Speedy, you forgot to say "Remove the shell BEFORE wrapping the eggs in sausage meat"

Regards Ian.

Dawai
04-16-2009, 11:12 PM
A spoon rapidly peels hardboiled eggs,, turn it and get the edge under the shell.. then it pops off in a couple halves.

I ate too many, was burping and pooting like a freight train. I tasted them so long I probably won't want anymore for a bit..

Overdo it.. pay later.. I no longer can drink beer either.

Carrols Yankee friends turned us onto this recipe. They had so many eggs each Easter left over from the multitude of grand children..

When I make salsa with the pickled Jalapenos, I sometimes use the hot vinegar to pickle eggs.. Heat the vinegar up and they are pickled in half the time. Ohh, the horrific methane produced could heat a small village. I can still remember picking up a small jar of quail eggs in the store and my ex, a young redhead crying "please don't buy them"... she knew me and the results of sulphurous discharges..

speedy
04-17-2009, 12:01 AM
You're right Derek, it was a travesty. We do not use the microwave for much here either other than a quick reheat.
I couldn't lay my hands on the wifes' recipe book that night, so to help out James the recipe was one I grabbed off the local egg industry site:o
I do like to adulterate recipes, much to my wifes consternation.

We get our eggs, milk and cream from the local church farm; lovely people. The eggs are real free range and the milk is unhomogenized from a predominantly A2 herd. We are going out there this weekend to collect sheep ****e for the garden. It should be fun. My mate Graeme suggested that we might train them to crap in a bag; is that possible?:D

Here is one out of the wifes' old "Edmonds" cookery book.

3 hard boiled eggs.
8oz sausage meat.
1 raw egg.
Breadcrumbs.
Dripping or Lard (lovely, lovely).
Shell the hard boiled eggs and completely cover each egg with sausage meat. Coat with beaten egg and roll in breadcrumbs. Deep fry in hot fat until golden brown.
serve in a nest of lettuce leaves and garnish with tomato.
--

I haven't had them in pork sausage before but I am willing to try:)
I just love pork! But it is so blardy expensive here and there is every chance that it is some crappy stuff from the States or elsewhere.

Errrr, Speedy, you forgot to say "Remove the shell BEFORE wrapping the eggs in sausage meat" That would be real gritty nosh Ian

Norman Atkinson
04-17-2009, 05:34 AM
When are 'They' going to bring back Vantess(sp?) machines for soft drinks?

I was 'dining out' last night. The old colonel and I were sort of dreaming after umteen courses and the port decanter was almost empty and 'Alex' was a corporal like me and was bringing his boys 'out of Dunkirk' We had loosened the waistcoats and our jackets were on the backs of our chairs. We were 'boys' again and had slid back to our Geordie vernacular. Bollocks to the Master of the Lodge- Balls to Dr Banglestein. Yea, what happened to these wonderous machines of Yesteryear?

The Old Cockleshell Hero and this old shag would like to know.

Norm

Dawai
04-17-2009, 08:40 AM
Translator please?

Norman Atkinson
04-17-2009, 08:58 AM
David,
Awfully English, I am afraid.

'Shag' might be a bit difficult but you will have to sort out which one.

There is the Common Cormorant or Shag that lays its eggs in a paper bag.
Well you were talking about Scotch eggs- and this was dead on topic!

Shag is a term of endearment and perhaps would be a bit out of place with the Archbishop of Canterbury - who is a Welsh druid. What a druid is- your guess is as good a mine. Probably a poor imitation of a freemason but likes riding goats.

Shag is an engineering oddity. It can be screwed on the bed at night and makes tea for you next morning. If you are lucky!

I'll leave the rest.

Cheers

Norm

10KPete
04-17-2009, 12:37 PM
Shag is an engineering oddity.

Never heard quite that nomenclature this side of the pond. Most interesting, it is.

:D

Pete

Timleech
04-17-2009, 12:55 PM
David,
Awfully English, I am afraid.

'Shag' might be a bit difficult but you will have to sort out which one.

There is the Common Cormorant or Shag that lays its eggs in a paper bag.
Well you were talking about Scotch eggs- and this was dead on topic!

Shag is a term of endearment and perhaps would be a bit out of place with the Archbishop of Canterbury - who is a Welsh druid. What a druid is- your guess is as good a mine. Probably a poor imitation of a freemason but likes riding goats.

Shag is an engineering oddity. It can be screwed on the bed at night and makes tea for you next morning. If you are lucky!

I'll leave the rest.

Cheers

Norm

I've always known the latter type as a verb, it seems you use it as a noun. Funny lot in the NE, obviously.

Isherwood got it wrong, common cormorants and shags are different birds. Poetic licence, I suppose.

Tim

Norman Atkinson
04-17-2009, 01:12 PM
Tim,
Regarding the North East- does Liz know? Just a thought.

Shag is a noun - in fact, one can smoke it.
If one is a little queer( oops!) one can get a shaggy pile. I presume that Prep H or something would be OK. It would, I suspect, reduce the smoking!

Of course, I was always a bird fancier- until marriage, anyway and the cormorant has a Southern Phase. Maybe, not up your canal or with its obligatory paper bag.

And then on a further aquatic note is not only marine but Supermarine and
the somewhat amphibious Walrus or as we affectionately dubbed it- the Shagbat.

Oh, believe me, there is a lot of it about.

( in fact, it could all be a shaggy dog story, but happily, it is not)

<and David, the other man in all this has a D.Litt and an MBE, is a full colonel in the Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers- and has written one book. On the net, I you must- and would understand every blithering word- well, most>

Must fly.

Norm

Timleech
04-17-2009, 02:52 PM
Must fly.

Norm

For those who haven't a clue about the paper bags:-

The common Cormorant, or Shag
Lays eggs inside a paper bag.
The reason, you will see no doubt
It is to keep the lightning out.

But what these unobservant birds
Have failed to notice is that Herds
Of wandering bears will come, with buns
And steal the bags to keep the crumbs.

(From memory, so apologies to Christopher Isherwood for mistakes).
Isherwood is better known as the author of Goodbye to Berlin, upon which I believe the musical Cabaret was based.

Tim

digger_doug
04-17-2009, 03:30 PM
"For those who haven't a clue about the paper bags:-"

Oh, yes, that cleared it right up for me, you ?

Again.

"Translator please?"

Norman Atkinson
04-17-2009, 03:58 PM
Sorry, Digger Doug but I live on a farm where we produce peacocks' eggs for sale in the mental hospital on which we live. I dare say that it isn't very important in the economic scheme of things in this depression but it is a job.
We used to sell unicorns' horns but these animals were stolen after these dreadful Harry Potter stories.

Norm