PDA

View Full Version : two piece jaws on three jaw chuck.

rogee2
04-15-2009, 06:16 PM
I have a Grizzly G4003G lathe. The three jaw chuck has two piece jaws, that look as if the two pieces were ground as a unit. I have a project that requires that I disassemble the jaws, and use only the base part. Will I be able to reassemble the jaws and not lose some of the chucks present accuracy?

TOOLZNTHINGS
04-15-2009, 07:09 PM
Hello,
No problem. Note that the jaws are number or shound be, just reassemble with the matching master jaw.

Brian

I have a Grizzly G4003G lathe. The three jaw chuck has two piece jaws, that look as if the two pieces were ground as a unit. I have a project that requires that I disassemble the jaws, and use only the base part. Will I be able to reassemble the jaws and not lose some of the chucks present accuracy?

sidneyt
04-15-2009, 08:49 PM
The jaws on your chuck were designed specifically so that they could be taken apart and reassembled- without any problems. I do it frequently.

lazlo
04-15-2009, 09:41 PM
Not only are the tops of 2-piece jaws designed to be removed, but chucks with 2-piece jaws are normally shipped with a single set of jaws, so you flip them around to go from inside to outside jaws.

By the way, if you search for "Soft Jaws" here on the forum, you'll find the big advantage of two-piece jaws :)

wierdscience
04-15-2009, 10:00 PM
I have purchased several sets of replacement top jaws over the years.They all came in a box with no preference to location.

But,periodically three jaws need to be trued.It's done in much the same fashion as machining soft jaws.A backlash ring is used to remove lash in the scroll and jaws are machined or ground true in place.

Not by accident,but every three jaw I have ever used new or otherwise has also had a master pinion.Bison for example usually marks theirs with a hash mark on the pinion itself or a chemical etched "0" on the chuck body.That pinion was used by the factory to lash out the scroll before grinding the jaws true.

The master pinion should be used to chuck a part first to maintain run out.Some folks prefer to snug up the other two jaws before running,that's perfectly acceptable so long as the master is used initially.