PDA

View Full Version : NAMES update

PTSideshow
04-15-2009, 07:56 PM
NAMES update just got back and thought I 'd let you know that 66 vendors tables have been paid for. And all 53 vendor booths are sold and taken. There will be some new dealers there and set up is moving along.
:D

Mike of the North
04-15-2009, 09:17 PM
I haven't been since you moved it to Toledo, but it looks like me and my 4 year old son will be there on Sat.

George Bulliss
04-16-2009, 01:34 PM
I just about have everything loaded. I am hoping to get an early start tomorrow for the show in order to get set up and make the opening pitch at the Mud Hens game at 5:30. For those that have not been there before, the ball field is across the street from the convention center. Unfortunately, Fridayís game is the only home game this weekend.

Stop by the booth and say hello, I usually donít get much of a chance to wander too far from it.

George

TGTool
04-17-2009, 09:31 PM
Just arrived in the Toledo area and will set up in the morning quick-like. Looking forward to the show and seeing old and new faces. Wouldn't miss saying hello to the wonderful Village Press folks.

John Stevenson
04-17-2009, 09:45 PM
A little dicky bird has told me that Chris Wood from The Little Machineshop will have the Sieg KX1 CNC mill at the show.

It will be nice to see a reliable agent in the US as it seems that Harbor Freight are dragging their heels.

JCHannum
04-17-2009, 10:23 PM
Chris is setting up just down from me. He was setting up a CNC milling machine, but I did not get a chance to get a good look at it before they covered it up & left. It looked good from 20 ft, but I can't tell much more than that.

I think it would be very much to Seig's advantage to have their machines repped by someone who actually is conversant with machining versus the average HF plod.

rockrat
04-17-2009, 11:04 PM
Will enjoy seeing everyone there. I'll be in the Rockwell Automation hat as normal, but there will be a kid in tow this year. I was trying to find some interesting thing to pin to my shirt but everything made me look more of a goof than I already am. :)

rock~

John Stevenson
04-18-2009, 07:41 AM
Chris is setting up just down from me. He was setting up a CNC milling machine, but I did not get a chance to get a good look at it before they covered it up & left. It looked good from 20 ft, but I can't tell much more than that.

I think it would be very much to Seig's advantage to have their machines repped by someone who actually is conversant with machining versus the average HF plod.

I fully agree with you Jim and Chris Wood seems to have a good reputation.
I know he's only just got the machines so chances are he'll only be air cutting and demonstrating.

Don't know how your shows work over there as regards H&S but
over here you can run a bare machine provided the spindle isn't running, so many air cut or even go over a precut job with a web cam in so the punters can see it on the big screen.

We used to do this until we got organised but now we have cabinet based machines we cut steel all day at the shows to put them thru their paces.

JCHannum
04-18-2009, 08:13 AM
I didn't get a chance to look at the machine as it didn't register on me what it was, ie the Seig. Had I realized, I would have taken a closer peek at it.

The safety gnomes haven't got to the shows yet, and metal or wax is often cut in demos. This may be the case. I will take my camera and try to take photos.

On another note, Rich Carlstedt is in attendance as expected with the Monitor and hypocycloidal engines on display. It is always enjoyable to spend time with him.

Louis Chenot's Deusenburg is nearing completion, most of the mechanical work is done, just needs finishing details such as paint and the top finished. This as also an impressive amount of work.

John Stevenson
04-18-2009, 08:30 AM
That's the main differences Jim between your shows and ours, probably to our disadvantage, in your shows an individual can book a stand and show off his work from what I gather.

In the UK shows only the clubs get stands unless you have a series of interesting works like Barry Jordan's miniature machine tools. That means that the builder has to belong to a club but as most clubs are 'very' loco orientated the builder may feel left out and work on his own with the result that no one see his or her work.

Cheryl Hinds is an example, if she had not put her work forward for inclusion in the Duke of Edinburgh's award the world would not have seen this, so how many other works of art are there out there that don't get displayed because they are not club members ?

Granted they are bigger shows but at the expense of the solo builder ?

JCHannum
04-18-2009, 11:01 PM
I did get a better look at the Seig machine, but they are not cutting anything. They have a ballpoint pen chucked up and are writing a few lines of print with it. Kind of like the old timey automatons used to do. Chris said cutting metal makes too much of a mess.

It is a very nice looking machine and of a useful size for model making and small shop use. I could find it interesting, especially with the fourth axis.

The show seems to be well attended, possibly better than last year. The weather was very pleasant today, yet it did not seem to keep people away. I did get a chance to chat with several menbers here and it was nice to renew old aquaintances.

The display area is apparently quite different than the British shows, it is open to anybody who comes as long as there is space available. There is no charge for displayers beyond the admittance fee, which is good for both days. All levels of talent can be seen and the beginners seem to get just as much attention as the true artists.

It looks like a rainy day tomorrow, so if you are in the area, stop by, hours are 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM. Vendors must stay until closing time, and most displayers do not leave early so the show runs up to closing.

Alguy
04-19-2009, 07:39 AM
I was there on sat. and the attendance was up from last year. I was able to see Jim , the rockrat family and Rich with his award winning engine. Overall I think it was a nice show. I kept putting off going to the little machine shop booth as it was mobbed when i was there and forgotten to get back.
I did meet a non board member John Elson he contributes alot on the Yahoo DRO EDM group he was selling his circutboards he designs and sells under pico-systems.com he does advertise in the Digital Machinest. He had Sieg x2 he had converted to cnc setup to demo small hole tapping. It is nice to see stuff you read about in person. It was a good show and i will be back.

Bill Pace
04-19-2009, 09:29 AM
Made the show yesterday, I agree that it seemed the attendance was very good - several times I marked a vendor or display to come back to later when it was less crowded.

Stopped by and visited with Jim (JCHannum) for a few minutes, he was his usual pleasant self...

IMO there were 2 highlights of the show, the Deusenburg and Richs engine, I was by viewing Rich when he was expounding on some of his research for the engine --- WOW!! that thing was no week-end project:eek: - what a beauty.

I was evesdropping on a couple fellows and they were talking about the show moving back to Detroit next year, seems the rent had gone up? Anything to that rumor?

DeereGuy
04-19-2009, 11:36 AM
Bill yes it is true, I have a flyer for next year. It is going to be April 24-25 at the Southgate Civic Center in Southgate Michigan. The address is 14700 Reaume Parkway, Southgate, Mi 48195.

I was finally able to make the show this year. Two years in a row work had me over the weekend so I wasn't able to go.

It was a great show and I was able to pic up some brass to make the carb for my Webster I am building.

Bob Farr
04-19-2009, 01:24 PM
Thanks to all of the volunteers, exhibitors and vendors who made NAMES happen this year. I was there Saturday and really enjoyed myself.

Teenage_Machinist
04-19-2009, 11:28 PM
There's also the Sherline contest. I entered that cryptex I made a while ago (thread and pix somewhere)

PTSideshow
04-20-2009, 07:56 AM
Well it's over for another year, And yes the show is moving back to the South gate area complex.Doubling of the rental and the new management company wanting a longer term commit. Coupled with the economy etc, and the city of Toledo building an new venue for concerts, hockey, arena football and wrestling.
Which will reduce the use of the convention center in theory.

Now if you add the complaints from the last couple of years, about Parking, ease of getting in and out, the other non model engineering related displays.

We will be using the one hockey rink with out the ice,and the auxiliary room off to the side. As the issues with the coverings for the ice and the complaints of the cold,coming up from it for the people that were there all week.

That's the main differences Jim between your shows and ours, probably to our disadvantage, in your shows an individual can book a stand and show off his work from what I gather.

Yes and no I'm sure that it has to due with insurance as it does here. You can have one air tap, or as some do 3 or 4 8foot long tables. If I remember correctly you pay a membership due for the weekend and it entitles you to access, for the show,a plaque and exhibit space on the tables. The only rules are dealing with the fuel amounts each party is allowed in the building, And there is NO SELLING of anything from the exhibitors display tables. Yet every years some people try!

The biggest drawback for me in moving the show is, that I will have to go back and pull the air manifold piping from the service tunnel under the halls. We pulled the air hoses from the utility conduits in the floor last night.

Here are some interesting models
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d200/ptsideshow/NAMES%202009/DSC02826.jpg
Cliff's great Holt, from the corrugated roof, to the detailed tracks.
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d200/ptsideshow/NAMES%202009/DSC02834.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d200/ptsideshow/NAMES%202009/DSCF9839.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d200/ptsideshow/NAMES%202009/DSCF9856.jpg
Cliff's belt sander that will appear in the magazine in the near future.

I would like to thank the Village Press crew that was at the show, George, Neil,Craig and the others who I don't have their names. For supporting the show and this forum, and taking the very active interest in this hobby.

JCHannum
04-20-2009, 08:12 AM
When passing out the thanks, don't forget the founders of NAMES, who had a dream 20 years ago to bring this show to the US. There was nothing approaching this type of show before.

Glen and the rest of the crew of volunteers, whose hard work behind the scenes to put it all together, and then take it apart after a long week of hard work are the people who make it happen.

John Stevenson
04-20-2009, 08:47 AM
Pre 20 years ago where there any shows in the US ?

Hazy memory as I was not so associated as now but I recall we only had one big show around the new year for a week with a lot of smaller club shows by the districts concerned in that district.

These have mainly disappeared except for a few that have got larger and managed to survive but many clubs have either disappeared or joined into others.

Around me, say 20 radius, there were at least 7 clubs, now down to 2 or three, a few open days but no shows as such.

PTSideshow
04-20-2009, 09:10 AM
Not on the scale or size of the NAMES expo. It started as the Results of a trip to England in the late 80's by a group of model engineers. They attended the South Kensington (London) Model Engineering Show. They were very impressed with it and wanted to do one here. As it was mostly an after though at farm shows etc. And they say the rest is history and in the 2009 program!
On both sides of the pond, I think are having the same problem with a contraction of people with the interest in model engineering, and most hobbies, that require a skill set, and equipment. Combined with the fact that the exposure to the items modeled are fast slipping away. As per the fact of the Henry ford Museum selling the biggest part of the collection ole Henry put together! They claim that at his grave site you can feel the vibration of him spinning so fast at what they are doing to his museum. As for the museum's part a statement was most of it is no longer relevant to the current and coming generations. So they don't need one of every brand. One example of a steam traction engines covers the whole type!

I have to say that this past weekend, we had a workshop at the show on getting kids and young people interested in the hobby. Not ONE person showed up.

The second problem is when some are asked if they will show how they do something etc or help guide a newbie. They don't want to give out their trade secrets.

PTSideshow
04-20-2009, 09:15 AM
Here are a couple more hand forged tools.
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d200/ptsideshow/NAMES%202009/DSCF9845.jpg
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d200/ptsideshow/NAMES%202009/DSCF9847.jpg
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d200/ptsideshow/NAMES%202009/DSC02795.jpg
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d200/ptsideshow/NAMES%202009/DSC02797.jpg

PTSideshow
04-20-2009, 09:19 AM
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d200/ptsideshow/NAMES%202009/DSC02801.jpg
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d200/ptsideshow/NAMES%202009/DSC02807.jpg
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d200/ptsideshow/NAMES%202009/DSC02796.jpg
These are a collection of anvils and tools made as examples. salesmen samples and just for fun.

Mike of the North
04-20-2009, 03:41 PM
My 4 year old son and I where there on Sat. in our matching Hawaiian shirts, we got there too late to the 10 am seminar, sorry I missed it. We both enjoyed the show.