PDA

View Full Version : 2 axis DRO for Vertical Milling machine

clippershack
04-16-2009, 12:25 PM
I would like to know what brand or company you guys recommend for purchasing a DRO on a vertical milling machine ( table size 10 x 54 )

thanks
mike

kvom
04-16-2009, 12:38 PM
My mill had a Newall C80 when I got it. I'm quite happy with it. There are cheaper brands out there of course.

Carld
04-16-2009, 01:28 PM
Can Do Machinery, they are great and reasonable. Newall DRO's are very good.

Mickey_D
04-16-2009, 01:51 PM
I have had good luck with Accurite and Anilam, but I have a Mitutoyo in a box waiting to go on my Monarch. I have also heard good stuff about the Jennix units - very accurate glass scales and made in Korea. They all seem to crap out at some point, so I would suggest buying one from someone you think will be there a couple of years down the road.

lugnut
04-16-2009, 02:54 PM
Mike I posted a question on DRO's a few days back and got a bunch of good information. There are a lot of DRO's out there and most of them us a glass scale. Price seems to be big thing for most people. I found prices ranging from $400 to 2K for 2 axis units. I choose the Shooting Star 3 axis which uses a rack and Pinion type mechanism. Sounded more durable than glass. And the ST has a 5 year warranty and have been in around for a long time. A good old google search will produce a lot of information for you.
Good luck in your adventure
Mel

BillH
04-16-2009, 03:19 PM
480$ or 540$ for the fancier one. Both glass scales. If they break after 5 years, who cares?
Meister DRO.

http://www.meisterdro.com/servlet/the-Meister-Digital-Readout/Categories

lane
04-16-2009, 07:35 PM
Anilam ,Accurite ,and Newell All very good . I prefer Anilam.

clippershack
04-16-2009, 08:43 PM
Thanks everyone, I will start my search. I will research before I make the purchase. Your ideas and thoughts will certainly come in handy.

mike

LMSC
04-21-2009, 05:12 PM
You can look at my site www.digitalreadoutsystem.com. We carry most brands at very reasonable prices.

Regards,
Tim Barnard
LMSC
877-376-4373

I would like to know what brand or company you guys recommend for purchasing a DRO on a vertical milling machine ( table size 10 x 54 )

thanks
mike

SGW
04-21-2009, 06:42 PM
I'll 2nd the recommendation of www.candomachinery.com as a good source. I was very pleased by their service and prices. Mike was very good about answering my numerous questions, both before and after the sale.

I bought an Acu-Rite, but they sell all the major brands.

One question you need to answer is, how much accuracy do you want? I decided I wanted +/- 0.0002" resolution scales, which eliminated (at the time) many of the cheaper units that were +/- 0.0005". Since then, the cost for 0.0002" resolution scales has come down, especially if you're willing to buy the Asian scales. But, I tend to think you get what you pay for, one way or another. I'm very happy with the Acu-Rite.