PDA

View Full Version : Semi-OT Propane weed wackers?

wierdscience
04-17-2009, 10:17 PM
Anybody own one yet?

I was looking at one Sears offers which features engine and fuel system by Lehr.I've heard of Lehr,but don't remember where.

Anyways these are on sale for $239 and I'm thinking about trying one.I have to admit the idea of propane sounds good on a weed wacker.No prime bulb,no laquer,no fuel filter and no choke,no gas mix.I'm seeing a lot of pluses so far,any negatives?No affiliation,just curious.

http://s7.sears.com/s7/video/flash_video.jsp?movie=Videos/LEHR_79211_79212.flv&company=Sears&config=Sears/EVideo_Default&locale=en

tdkkart
04-18-2009, 12:57 AM
I knew I heard a radio commercial about something propane powered from Sears, checked the website and couldn't come up with anything , although I thought they weree talking about lawnmowers, not trimmers.

Absolutely see the advantages of propane power, wouldn't be afraid of one at all. It's clean, safe, efficient and easy to work with, not to mention the engine will last forever.

john hobdeclipe
04-18-2009, 08:37 AM
If I have to refuel it with non-refillable propane cylinders, I don't think I like it. But if there is a way I can use a small fuel cylinder that I can refill easily and safely and repeatedly from my 500 gallon household supply tank, then I think I would be tempted.

DICKEYBIRD
04-18-2009, 09:19 AM
If it's a standard hardware store variety propane cyl, an adapter is easily available (from H/F even) that allows refilling from a gas-grill cylinder.

You just throw the small cylinder in the freezer for a while, set the big one in the sun til it warms up, screw them together via the adapter and open the valve.

It obviously doesn't fill it as full as it could be filled with a pump but it works fine for me for shop use and is a lot cheaper.

HTRN
04-18-2009, 03:42 PM
Manchester Tank sells a 5lb tank that's sold on Amazon. Still a little big though.

Another option is something like a 10lb tank and a backpack frame, like used with those weedburner torches.

You can refill the disposable cylinders, but the seals go after awhile - you'll probably get only 5 refills or so.

I do like the idea of propane powered outdoor gear - half the headaches with them spring from gummed up carbs caused by sitting unused for 6 months at a time.

HTRN

wierdscience
04-18-2009, 07:56 PM
The one thing I am wondering is,if it's two cycle,what about the oil?

Does propane offer enough or any"lube" for the rings?I know a little parrafin shows up in propane,but????? Or is it that the thing has an oil sump?

The tank issue doesn't bother me too much,they claim 2hrs run time on a $3 can.I don't see me running more than a couple-three hours a weekend.I do have a 250 gallon house tank with a liquid tap though.

Well I'm gonna find out,local store has four instock.

The Doctor
04-18-2009, 10:28 PM
Weird, it's four stroke, oil in crankcase. Eliminate premix but add checking /changing oil.

Ed

wierdscience
04-19-2009, 09:24 PM
Ah,noticed that getting it out of the box today.

Well first impressions are it's heavy and vibrates more than the others.

It also came with factory installed partially cross threaded fuel line that dripped liquid propane all over until I disconnected the bottle:(

Fixed that and it now cranks and runs fine.Time will tell though if it stays together.Oh well I got 89 days to bring it back.