PDA

View Full Version : Kearney & Trecker Divding Head - oops

neplantengineer
04-18-2009, 01:47 PM
Hello Folks,

I accidently won a Kearney & Trecker Divding Head (K&T) on ebay (I put in a very very low bid $120 for kicks figuring I would be immediately outbid). I think I'm having a bit buyers remorse given that I have a Van Norman #12 and it will probably tip over when I try to put this thing on the table. What do you folks think?

http://s621.photobucket.com/albums/tt295/neplantengineer/KT1%20Dividing%20Head/?albumview=grid

Liger Zero
04-18-2009, 02:42 PM
There is a large K&T mill for sale on our local craigslist... will that solve your problem? :D

doctor demo
04-18-2009, 06:40 PM
That little thing would get lost on My Cinci#5 Mill.
Ihope it is a local pick up... frieght is going to kill ya.
If You were closer I would trade ya for a little one I have.

Steve

jkilroy
04-18-2009, 07:30 PM
That looks like the 5:1 ratio "large" K&T head. At least it doesn't have the hump found on the 40:1 heads. I have a 40:1 and the spindle taper is NT40, don't know what that one is. Good piece for sure, don't give up on it, just find an easy way to load and unload and it should give you years of service.

beckley23
04-18-2009, 11:36 PM
That's the Model K 5:1 Hypoid Head. IIRC, it's got a #50 spindle taper.
You better go shopping for a bigger mill, it may tip that VN on its side.
Harry

fasto
04-19-2009, 11:00 PM
If you really don't need it let me know. Perhaps we can work something out.

mark61
04-20-2009, 08:43 AM
We have one of those at work. INDISTUCTABLE! Might run 250lbs. If you decide to get rid of it I may be interested in it.

As one VN #12 owner to another---got any ideas or extra horizantal arbors for them?

mark61

neplantengineer
04-24-2009, 10:29 PM
Thanks for all the feedback folks. Yup, shipping wasn't cheap, all told I think I paid about $330. Well, it is going to show up at the freight terminal in Abington mid next week. The bill of lading shows the pallet weighing in at 200 lbs. That should be interesting. We'll see what it looks like. Might follow up with you Fasto/Mark61.

Mark61 - I do have a few arbors for the VN12. I've got to clean up the tapers as they are all a bit egg shaped. Have to finish installing/wiring my new to me 9" SB (was my dad's - been in the family for over 40 years) before I can try to clean them up. Why do you ask? Are you looking for an arbor or just a drawing/photo to make one?

mark61
04-25-2009, 12:11 AM
Would be interested in the arbors, depending on condition and price. I have drawing and factory assessory lititure that show them. Making them would be quit a job time wise. Making tooling cuts nto time doing "need to be done" projects. Let me know if you are willing to part with anything.

mark61

neplantengineer
05-21-2009, 10:19 PM
Mark61,

The arbors I have are really in poor shape; bent, oval countersinks, gouged out woodruff keyways, hard spots where cutters must have spun. I'm trying to resurrect the 1" by turning it into a 7/8". I'm really just using them as a guide to make new ones.

Wondering if anyone has any advice on what to use for lube on a scroll chuck. I've removed and disassembled the chuck from the monster dividing head to clean it out. I've read that some folks use grease (lithium or the like), others say no to grease and use a heavy oil (way oil or the like).

Thank you.