PDA

View Full Version : What's at a show, other than models and why should I go?

PTSideshow
04-20-2009, 11:45 AM
This post is in response, to a e-mail from a newbee who reads the forum but yet is a member. So all the long timers can and anything they my feel is important.

The first thing I would say is the models, They range from normal struggling newbee just getting a grip on the hobby. To out of this world class models like Rich's and Cliff's projects that span years to make. You can check out the other threads for pictures.

Meeting others possibly in your area, that can offer advice, help or just encouragement from time to time.

The dealers, both new and used small one person shops or large companies. As I have stated Village Press our host for this forum have been at all of them as sponsors and vendors and moral support and some working support.

They range from used large name brand machinery to new small table top machinery and parts. One of the largest book vendors of older knowledge is there, and producing reprint of hand working skill for the occasional user.
along with a growing number of CNC add ons and do it yourself. There are small hand tool/jewelery supply dealers. New import tool dealers, and new tool dealers that have all the little bits and pieces for the table top equipment crowd.

Another benefit is haggling over the price, and no charges as on flea bay. Plus all most of them have some show discount.

In addition to the one/two table dealers like Jim and Jan TGTools who are members of this forum. Used books and magazines along with just about anything you need.

Including raw materials, below are Two pic's of the stock I picked up.
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d200/ptsideshow/Tools/DSCF9863.jpg
Aluminum,brass,copper and some tool steel bars that where being sold at lower price than any of the local scrap dealers that sell stock are charging around here. Since they still haven't lowered the prices to reflect the real world.
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d200/ptsideshow/Tools/DSCF9865.jpg
Also pick up assorted Delrin,Nylon,UHMW and Acetal plastics

Hope this helps giving information, about attending a show. There are smaller ones and ones held in conjunction with full size steam /farm show all over the US and Canada. There is a book that is published every year as a show directy. will hunt up a copy and sell about a web site.

laddy
04-20-2009, 12:29 PM
Totally agree. Every show I have been to whether it is steam, machine, car or woodworking, I have learned something. It is like going to college. You see new ideas, new tools, plans, supplies etc.. Alot more fun than staying home.

BillH
04-20-2009, 12:34 PM
Material + cost of admission.

Carld
04-20-2009, 03:51 PM
Yep, all the shows are fun and if they have a swap/buy area they are double the fun.

Speaking of which, a friend and I are going to the steam show in Oklahoma the first week end of May.

Alguy
04-20-2009, 04:13 PM
I like to go because you can meet some of the people in person, pick up few items on the i need to get that someday list. I also learn a lot, most there are willing to share how they did something .

clutch
04-20-2009, 04:56 PM
I'm assuming you are speaking of Names. I got to meet Bob Swinney, Brian Lawson, met Errol again.

Then I met some of the people supporting EMC2 and saw their demo's.

Mike R from Model Engine Builder put on a seminar on "3D design Cad for the model engineer" that sold me on buying a copy of Alibre (lowest tier) today after I got home. I learned that the recent issues sheets are drawn via Alibre.

I also subscribed to Home Shop Machinists while at the show.

The gent making the Duesenburg did a seminar on making some of the details. That was very good.

Meeting people that are just as wierd as you by normal standards is always a plus :)

Clutch

PTSideshow
04-20-2009, 05:00 PM
I'm assuming you are speaking of Names. I got to meet Bob Swinney, Brian Lawson, met Errol again.

Clutch

I mean any show and jeezes, I'm glad Brian doesn't read this forum as we wouldn't be able to work with him next year ;)

The question was posed from the view point,of somebody with out a clue as to the benefits of show attendance.

SGW
04-20-2009, 05:28 PM
Why go?

It's inspirational.

It's a great place to see a lot of vendors and maybe get some good deals. I went to Cabin Fever this year with a firm resolve not to buy anything....but I did anyway.

It's a chance to meet old friends and make new ones.

It's a chance to learn more.

John Stevenson
04-20-2009, 08:19 PM
What's at a show, other than models and why should I go?

UK version.

Normally a good pub with easy staggering distance.

The chance to meet old friends and take the pi$$ out of them.

The chance to have a laugh at someone elses misfortune :D

[ Last year a message went out on the tannoy calling for the head shed of one of the larger machine tool dealers, it went :-
"Will Bill please return to the Ch***er stand as Anthony want's to go for a number two "

The noise from approximately 6,000 people was deafening and Bill who was passing was having to take bows on his way back,.

The chance to take memorable photo's that will stand the test of time.

http://www.stevenson-engineers.co.uk/files/cashinhand.jpg

Now hanging in the Tate gallery in London is the only know photo of Mark Rand parting with two 20 pound notes.

[ Look at the unbelievable expression of the guy in the background ]

The chance of making a fool of oneself and having the pi$$ taken, only something Brits and Ozzies can understand.

Did i mention the pub ??

PTSideshow
04-20-2009, 08:36 PM
[B]What's at a show, other than models and why should I go?

The chance to take memorable photo's that will stand the test of time.

http://www.stevenson-engineers.co.uk/files/cashinhand.jpg

Now hanging in the Tate gallery in London is the only know photo of Mark Rand parting with two 20 pound notes.

[ Look at the unbelievable expression of the guy in the background ]

John I think that guy in the background just realized that it was his wallet :eek:

And that would be a hoot and can imagine the noise:D

malbenbut
04-21-2009, 03:00 AM
They say there is one born every minute when it comes to parting with money, I should have been twins.
MBB