PDA

View Full Version : What's your longest chip?

goose
04-20-2009, 05:58 PM
Does anyone else have the strange compulsion to save your chips? They're often so dramatic as they come off the lathe, and so fragile. A short lived beauty created as a bi-product of work. The one pictured is quite a bit over 12 feet in length, and leaves me wondering what's the longest you've ever captured.

http://garymchxx.home.comcast.net/~garymchxx/longstring.jpg

Gary

dp
04-20-2009, 06:09 PM
I've had a few snake down the floor like that, but I'm more concerned about them zeroing in on a power outlet or extension cord, or getting wrapped around the work on the chuck. They seem most prevalent when turning fast heavy cuts with carbide inserts. Some never curl at all - just a long straight razor sharp wire. I try to discourage them.

Frank Ford
04-20-2009, 06:18 PM
I Some never curl at all - just a long straight razor sharp wire.

Yeah, don't you just love 'em when they shoot straight down to where your hand is on the crank!

Lew Hartswick
04-20-2009, 06:51 PM
I was cutting off some aluminium knobs today and found in the
chip pan an interesting bit. I'll take a pix tomorrow and post it.
...lew...

Spin Doctor
04-20-2009, 07:21 PM
IMO long chips are dangerous. As noted they wrap around chucks and the work piece, or get o be birds nests. Personaly I prefer to get either those little 6's or nice tight curls about 1" long like little rotini

Liger Zero
04-20-2009, 07:29 PM
PVC makes some nice spirals if you get everything "just right."

Evan
04-20-2009, 07:44 PM
Longest chip? Probably this one. :D

http://ixian.ca/pics6/strings.jpg

dan s
04-20-2009, 07:45 PM
The longest I've gotten was about 10 feet of 316 SS razor wire.

john hobdeclipe
04-20-2009, 07:57 PM
I've had a big one on my shoulder for well over 50 years now, does that count?

beckley23
04-20-2009, 08:01 PM
A little over 1400'. I make a UHMW part, and that chip doesn't break. Most of the time I can get it to go in the pan, but every now and then it decides to wrap around the part, that's a PITA.
Harry

wierdscience
04-20-2009, 08:16 PM
4130 bout the size of a note book spring .150" wide nearly 20' long.I kept pushing over with my foot and managed to steer it out the shop door and under the front counter before it broke.

Your Old Dog
04-20-2009, 10:34 PM
Evan, I had the same problem cutting some HVLP so I got the idea to take a utility knive and score the stock lengthwise before turning. The strings fall off by the circumference of the stock !! Much easier to deal with.

Teenage_Machinist
04-20-2009, 11:23 PM
I do not use power feed (Lack of a seperate feed bar = :mad: ) so my longest is probably three feet long, UHMW. Those get snipped with the scissors so I often do not know.

jimsehr
04-20-2009, 11:36 PM
Nothing makes longer chips then the old box tools on a turret lathe.
Years ago I saw a chip that crossed the shop floor and parking lot and was steered out to the street and it crossed the street before it broke.

Jim

Steve Steven
04-21-2009, 09:07 AM
Forrest Addy said in some disscussion a few years ago a tale about a guy in the shipyard that had a 288 foot long chip of steel.

Steve

Lew Hartswick
04-22-2009, 12:06 AM
I havent tried to unroll this one but it is the nicest chip from a cut off
I ever did. I was using manual cross feed too so I must have been
pretty stedy. :-)
The one is out of focus a bit, I can't get close enough to show the
detail I'd like.
http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee238/LewHartswick/100_0580.jpg

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee238/LewHartswick/100_0579.jpg

...lew...

J Tiers
04-22-2009, 12:28 AM
Compulsion to save my chips?

I've a barrel of the steel chips, and smaller containers of brass and bronze etc. When the steel barrel threatens to be too heavy to haul up the stairs, I'll have to recycle them, if I can find a scrapper that won't refuse chips.

There's plenty that will put a bin at your place if you generate enough, but those same ones will indignantly refuse smaller quantities.

I've no idea how long they were..... if they are too long I cut/break them, they get dangerous.

jkilroy
04-22-2009, 11:09 AM
When working with Delrin I can get a chip to fly up and off the work in such a predictable manner that I can place a trash can under the landing chip. I would expect that I have produced single continuous chips of at least 2500 ft in length on one cut on one part, and landed the entire chip right in the basket!

Your Old Dog
04-22-2009, 11:43 AM
When working with Delrin I can get a chip to fly up and off the work in such a predictable manner that I can place a trash can under the landing chip. I would expect that I have produced single continuous chips of at least 2500 ft in length on one cut on one part, and landed the entire chip right in the basket!

I smell a new Olympic sport in the wind.

spope14
04-22-2009, 01:47 PM
Had one about 75 feet long from a piece of plastic I was drilling - something a bit less hard than delrin. 1.375 drill 12 inch deep (had a drill extension) with feed on a J&L lathe, ran out of hole before the chip broke

madman
04-22-2009, 02:39 PM
Large diameter stainless 304 tube, The chip comes off continuoussly and if i had enough room to walk with Pliers holding onto the chioop Id guess a mile or so>>

mochinist
04-22-2009, 03:21 PM
you guys are all dangerous:D my god a mile long stainless chip just waiting to get wrapped up and then caught on the chuck and then you. you are mad man:p

I dont know what my longest is/was but I doubt its very long, I'll do every thing I know to get the chip to break and if all else fail a quick stop and a snip.

Liger Zero
04-22-2009, 04:15 PM
I smell a new Olympic sport in the wind.

No that's just Delrin you smell.

Fasttrack
04-22-2009, 10:06 PM
you guys are all dangerous:D my god a mile long stainless chip just waiting to get wrapped up and then caught on the chuck and then you. you are mad man:p

I dont know what my longest is/was but I doubt its very long, I'll do every thing I know to get the chip to break and if all else fail a quick stop and a snip.

I made a couple of those long ribbon ones with SS. Then I sliced my finger real good and finally started listening to what all those guys were saying about chip breakers... :D

mochinist
04-22-2009, 10:14 PM
I made a couple of those long ribbon ones with SS. Then I sliced my finger real good and finally started listening to what all those guys were saying about chip breakers... :DI think it might have been spope that said one of his students got one around their ankle and when he kicked his foot to remove it, it cut through his tendon above the heel:eek: sorry if it wasn't spope but it was in a thread on here within the last year or so.

Seriously a long chip, especially stainless is nothing to brag about. I understand the material doesn't always cooperate but do your best to not let the strings get to long.

ehughes
04-23-2009, 02:18 AM
I don't like long chips because they rub the paint off anywhere they touch it. Regards, Earl

andypullen
04-23-2009, 08:32 AM
We had some 80 footers (maybe 2" diameter) coming off the 90" wheel lathe in Birmingham. They had to be busted up with a sledgehammer. I still have a piece of one and it's 3/4" wide and 1/8" thick maybe 4" long. It's curled in an approximate "6" shape...A nice bluish color, too. High carbon locomotive tire steel....I don't know the exact spec on it, though.

Stressproof makes nice long chips...I was making puller rods on an old Monarch and was consistantly getting 60 footers that were about 1/4" diameter....

I've never measured any of the plastic chips I've gotten off any machines, but I'm sure some of them would be close to what others have said...

Andy Pullen