PDA

View Full Version : old muzzle loader need to identify

norvil1
04-20-2009, 08:56 PM
a guy brought a very old muzzleloader by for me to make some new bolts for
and i would like to identify the weapon. i need to know of any books i could use to identify the lock. the main spring and hammer is missing. i measured the bolts and they have a major diameter of .200, 24 tpi look to be whitworth threads. the bore is smooth bore and the flash hole is not screwed on the barrel. any ideas? i know a pic would help but i don't know how to post. the barrel or receiver have no name, cal or serial #. there are some stamps on it, one looks like a eagle. any help would be appreciated.

smiller6912
04-21-2009, 09:57 AM
It is going to be difficult to identify this gun with the limited information available however, back in the olden days when I used to do a lot of work on this type of gun I found the "Dixie Gunworks" catalog to be highly useful in finding parts to make work on my projects. I know it's not much help but , it's worth a try.
https://www.dixiegunworks.com/default.php?osCsid=b9e6753f5d576ef18418f1b8ad4d8d0 7

JCHannum
04-21-2009, 10:28 AM
Back in the days of muzzle loaders, there were many manufacturers, and little standardization. Many were imported from Europe and sold under various names. Some locks and other parts were sold individually to makers who installed them on their own firearms. The locks do have some commonality, and Dixie is a good source of parts, either finished or semi-finished that can be adapted to repair or restore one of these guns.

Identification is difficult, but you can try cleaning the lockplate and barrel. They will probably have been marked at one time, and enough may remain to aid in identity.

Photos of the gun, lock and any markings will be helpful in identifying it.