PDA

View Full Version : BobCad - Any good?

Benjamin Borowsky
08-28-2003, 04:53 PM
I'm looking to CNC enable my sherline lathe - I've received a recommendation to purchase BobCad for $600. The recommendation comes from a dealer, who's biased of course, but I've dealt with him in the past and he seems to deal straight. Do any of you guys use this program? Any thoughts?

TIA,

B2

INTERPOLATE
08-28-2003, 06:11 PM
T

INTERPOLATE
08-28-2003, 06:17 PM

INTERPOLATE
08-28-2003, 06:17 PM
ooops. Sorry folks.

Jeffery71
08-28-2003, 06:43 PM
Its best to get a demo copy of each Cad/Cam program and try them out and see what one you feel is the easiest to use. I personally choose VisualMill From Mecsoft. I believe they are coming out with another version that will be in the price range of bobcad. I have heard some good and bad about bobcad. (you will hear good and bad from all programs) I beleive it is simaliar to Vector from IMService. I have Vector but only use it for the Vcarvz program that they have. Some other Cam programs to check out are. Turbocadcam, Rams, deskproto, Dolphin. and there are others, I personally liked visual mill best. But alot depends on what you are going to do and your own personal prefernce

Jeff Tice

Jeffery71
08-28-2003, 06:45 PM
I'm sorry I just reread your post and see you were looking for Lathe cam software.. That does limit things a bit more!

Benjamin Borowsky
08-28-2003, 06:56 PM
Jeffery1:

Don't feel bad about reading it wrong, i WROTE it wrong. Yes, that's right, I meant "Mill", not "Lathe". But, of course, it's an easy misake to make because they have the same # of letters... uh, they rhyme... uh... Sorry, I have no good reason. I just screwed it up. Thanks for the input, I'll check those out.

B2

Mcruff
08-28-2003, 09:20 PM
I have an older version of Bobcad and while it works good for pocketing and such like that, the 3d milling with it sometimes makes some god awful mistakes because of the way it interprates what you draw, it can usually be tricked to do what you want but I think there are others out there that are just as good and easier to use. If you want it, talk them down on price, I got mine after dealing with them for awhile for $499.
All in all it is not a bad product just a little different to use compared to others I have tried and used thru work.

[This message has been edited by Mcruff (edited 08-28-2003).]

SJorgensen
08-29-2003, 01:38 AM
I downloaded a demo copy of bobcad. I didn't even get a chance to look at it before they called me early the very next day and gave me some sales pitch. I think they are a little aggressive in their marketing and I felt pressured to buy before I even knew anything about it. I lost interest in them just because of that.

Spence

Benjamin Borowsky
08-30-2003, 07:48 AM
Thanks, guy's, I'll let you know how it worked out.

B2