PDA

View Full Version : DRO Question

firbikrhd1
04-21-2009, 08:14 PM
Hi Everyone,
Usually I'm a lurker here but I occasionally post when I need some info or can relate something I've learned.
Today's question is regarding a DRO mentioned in First Look in the May/June HSM magazine and advertised in same. They are made by Digital Dog Company. Has anyone here had any experience with this item? I'm intrigued by it's simplicity, low cost and apparent adaptability to various machines. I have old iron, a Logan 850 lathe and Index 45 mill. These machine go well with me as I'm getting on in years too; age 56 coming later this month and the eyes are not as good as they should be for reading the small dials on the Logan. My first inclination was to make new larger dials but when I saw these I wondered whether they might be a better choice in the long haul. The advertise greater accuracy than I could achieve with dials at +/-.0005".
Any suggestions or experience would be welcome regarding this matter.
Thanks in advance!
Steve

SGW
04-21-2009, 08:39 PM
One consideration on a lathe: because of the radius/diameter business, +/- 0.0005" resolution on the cross slide translates into an accuracy of +/- 0.001". IMO, that's not good enough. I think on a lathe you need a DRO with more like +/- 0.0002" resolution, minimum, at least for the cross slide. Carriage travel wouldn't need to be so particular.

firbikrhd1
04-22-2009, 11:31 PM
Wow, I guess no one has used one of these DROs yet, I'm a little surprised. Thank you for your response SGW, I hadn't thought of the resolution being too small for a lathe cross slide. .0005 would only allow an accurate cut of .001, perhaps small enough for most things but for press fits it might not work well.