PDA

View Full Version : hydraulic fluid leak from frame of ford 4500

spinrow
04-21-2009, 10:59 PM
I have a ford 4500 loader backhoe that leaks hydraulic fluid from a "repaired" crack in the under surface of the right half of the frame just before the rear wheel. Are there any alternative ways of storing the hydraulic fluid than in the the frame of the machine? I have been told the frame holds 10 to 15 gallons of fluid?? I'm skeptical that trying to repair the frame again will be successful. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks Paul

BobC
04-22-2009, 12:18 AM
Paul,
I also have a 4500 and it has a welded patch at one area on the backhoe frame. I would try to find a good weldor and have a fairly large patch (if space permits) welded over the leaking area. Hope it works for you.

Bob

RancherBill
04-22-2009, 01:19 AM
I would get the frame repaired by a professional weldor. Two reasons, first you have a crack in the frame and secondly it will fix the leak. Right now you have a weak spot and it's going to be more and more trouble.

doctor demo
04-22-2009, 01:51 AM
I have a ford 4500 loader backhoe that leaks hydraulic fluid from a "repaired" crack in the under surface of the right half of the frame just before the rear wheel. Are there any alternative ways of storing the hydraulic fluid than in the the frame of the machine? I have been told the frame holds 10 to 15 gallons of fluid?? I'm skeptical that trying to repair the frame again will be successful. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks Paul
The Terex that I operate now , and the Case that I used to operate have hyd. tanks mounted outside the frame opposite the fuel tank.
Terek hyd. tank is on the left and Case has it on the right side.

The old case tlb had a frame tank that was allways a problem too, at least on the ones I was stuck with.

If You canmount an outboard tank and get it plumbed with out to much hassle I wuold do that.

Steve

Sophiedoc
04-22-2009, 10:04 AM
Same problem in same machine in same place.Actually welded in place while leaking years ago.Was told this would work as long as the fluid was circulating during the weld.I'm not so sure I would try this again being older and hopefully wiser.An external resoirvoir will get in your way.

rockrat
04-22-2009, 11:05 AM
I'm a hack at welding but I get by on little stuff. With that in mind, here is my thought.

A clean area for a weld is a must in any welding application. If you are trying to weld a hydraulic tank (oil in the crack) without removing the fluid, cleaning the area and maybe even pre-heating the area you may never get a good weld structurally or seal the crack.

Now I'm sure that these things have been welded while dirty and a bit of luck got things to work or get a fellow by, but if you want a fix I'm betting that you will need to drain the tank, clean the area, preheat the material, weld the crack and as noted by Bobc, weld a patch over the welded area. Might even need to go back and post heat the area to remove the stress/hard area.

Just my 2
rock~