PDA

View Full Version : OT - Buick Keyless Entry Failure

lynnl
04-22-2009, 12:59 PM
Wife drives a '03 Buick Century. Yesterday after using the remote lock/unlock functions on the key fob sucessfully in the morning and at lunchtime, it didn't work in the evening when she left work for home.

When she got home we tried the spare key fob, thinking it was a battery problem in her key fob. But that didn't work either. (It was last used a week or so ago, and worked then.) It's almost inconceivable both batteries would go at the same time.

Anybody here know how these things work? The manual describes reprogramming the alarm system (horn, lights, or horn and lights) but offers no clue as to how the receiver on the car might become de-programmed.

...or is the receiver on a separate circuit that could have a fuse blown?

Evan
04-22-2009, 01:23 PM
Try the keyless remote programming procedure in the owner's manual.

All transmitters which are to be recognized by the remote control door lock
receiver (RCDLR) must be programmed in a single programming sequence. If the
system is placed in program mode it will erase all previously programmed
transmitters upon the receipt of the programming signal from the first
transmitter. Up to four transmitters can be programmed. Do not operate or
program the transmitters in the vicinity of other vehicles that are in the
keyless entry program mode. This prevents the programming of the
transmitters to the incorrect vehicle.

Install a scan tool.
Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
Use the scan tool in order to access the Body Control Module (BCM) Special
Function: Program Key Fobs menu.

Important
The scan tool must stay connected until all of the transmitters are
programmed.

Press and hold the LOCK button and the UNLOCK button simultaneously on one
transmitter. After a delay of 15 seconds, the horn will chirp three times in
order to confirm the programming of that transmitter.
Remove the scan tool.
Operate the transmitter functions in order to verify correct system
operation.

lynnl
04-22-2009, 01:41 PM
Huhh?
What's a scan tool? What's a body control module?
What you posted Evan, looks somewhat similar to, but more detailed than my owners' manual. It makes me wonder if my wife was parked close to someone else who went thru the programming sequence.

Which gets reprogrammed, the transmitter or receiver?

Barrington
04-22-2009, 02:57 PM
The programming technique apparently varies from model year to year.

For a 2003 Buick Century http://www.programyourremote.com/ gives this info:-

IMPORTANT: Before entering programming mode, have in possession all of the remotes you will be using on the vehicle. Once you program the remotes , all previous codes will be erased from the memory. The other remotes will not be functional until you program the remotes again.

1. Close the vehicle doors.

2. Insert key in ignition and turn to ON (As far as you can without cranking engine)

3. Turn ignition OFF and remove the key from the ignition.

4. Press and hold the driver side door lock switch in the UNLOCK position.

5. Insert the ignition key into the ignition lock cylinder and remove the key. (Do not turn the ignition key in the lock
cylinder.)

6. Insert the ignition key into the ignition lock cylinder and remove the key. (Do not turn the ignition key in the lock
cylinder.)

7. Insert the ignition key into the ignition lock cylinder. (Do not turn the ignition key in the lock cylinder.) Leave the
ignition key in the ignition lock cylinder.

8. Release the door lock switch. The vehicle will sound three beeps in order to verify the Program Mode has been
activated.

9. Press the LOCK and UNLOCK buttons together on the keyless entry transmitter and hold until the vehicle beeps
twice to verify that the transmitter has been successfully programmed (this take approximately 15 seconds).

10. Perform the previous step to program up to four transmitters (including your old ones).

11. Remove the ignition key in order to exit the Program Mode.

- Rather complicated but no other gear required.

No way of knowing if this is right or wrong but might be worth a try...

CCWKen
04-22-2009, 03:03 PM
You might try changing the batteries first. :rolleyes:
Six years is pretty good for one of those batteries, used or not.

Evan
04-22-2009, 03:13 PM
The programming technique apparently varies from model year to year.

More likely is that either method works. The one you posted is for users that don't have an OBCD scanner which is more suitable in this instance.

It doesn't sound like a battery problem. Either the receiver has failed or it was scrambled by a sophisticated breakin attempt, perhaps of a nearby vehicle. There are devices available that will run through a series of codes automatically and the thief just pushes the button and waits to see which cars in the near vicinity unlock. It's conceivable that such an attempt could confuse the decoder system. Perhaps it went into a type of safe mode.

RancherBill
04-22-2009, 03:17 PM
Reprogramming should have nothing to do with it.

1 Change the batteries first. You primary FOB might have just gone dead. The second one could have been dead for a month and you never know.

2 Check the fuses?

3 Has anybody been doing anything in the dash in the last 6 months - loose connector.

4 Scan tool - probably won't have answer but it's a long shot.

lynnl
04-22-2009, 04:05 PM
Yeah I'll replace one of the batteries first. I'm sure that'll be cheaper than the $110 the Buick dealer wants to run the diagnostics on it.
If that doesn't work I'll try that rigamarole with the ignition/key/doorlock.

It's not that big of a deal as far as I'm concerned, but... you know how wives are.

Thnx all for the inputs.

saltmine
04-22-2009, 05:30 PM
That proceedure sounds like reprogramming a PATS system in a Ford, Evan.
Probably one of the most nightmarish anti-theft systems made.
We had them when I worked in Fleet and became VERY FAMILIAR with them

The one Barrington came up with sounds more like GM....

I remember when Ford's PATS system first came out, you had to have every key fob you had for the car, in the car. And it usually took the scan tool 30 minutes to reprogram the system and fobs...
BTW, key fobs from Ford were $125 apiece and Chrysler ignition keys (with anti-theft module inside) are $75 apiece....and the only place you can get 'em is at the dealer.

Evan
04-22-2009, 05:52 PM
and the only place you can get 'em is at the dealer.

Estimated cost to Chrysler of a chipped key, about 95 cents. Reminds me of Xerox where 500 to 1000 percent markup on machine parts was normal. Dealer markup is probably only around 100%.

Most profitable division of HP? Retail printer supply sales. Inkjet ink sells for more per litre than a 1947 Chateau Mouton Rothschild Pauillac at $5000. Actual cost? Around $30 per gallon from Hong Kong.

I hate being ripped off.

lynnl
04-22-2009, 07:48 PM
Well, it's looking more like I may be in for a ripoff.

New battery in the fob didn't work.
Tried the reprogramming procedures in the link Barrington provided above, and that didn't work. I didn't get the horn beeps indicating the programming mode was activated, so I'm thinking I do have some electrical malfunction.

Interestingly, my wife recalled that at an enroute shopping stop today, when she returned to her car she tried the remote unlock, to no avail. But as she was getting in the car some other people, parked diagonally opposite, were remarking "...what's this? I know I locked the car when we got out to go in.."
Hmmm. Wonder if my wife unlocked their car? :D
She didn't give it any thought at the time. Too bad, would've been interesting to cycle their locks on and off a few times. :)

Rookie machinist
04-22-2009, 07:58 PM
Reprogramming with a scan tool is the easiest way, but you need a scanner. Most cheap scanners don't have a bcm option. Give your local lock and key shop a call and see if they can help. If not you may have to go to a dealer $$$.

Highpower
04-23-2009, 12:30 AM
2003 Buick Century V6-3.1L VIN J - Transmitter Programming
TRANSMITTER PROGRAMMING

IMPORTANT: All transmitters which are to be recognized by the remote control door lock receiver (RCDLR) must be programmed in a single programming sequence.If the system is placed in program mode it will erase all previously programmed transmitters upon the receipt of the programming signal from the first transmitter. Up to 4 transmitters can be programmed. Do not operate or program the transmitters in the vicinity of other vehicles that are in the keyless entry program mode. This prevents the programming of the transmitters to the incorrect vehicle.
Install a scan tool.
Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
Use the scan tool in order to access the Body Control Module (BCM) Special Function: Program Key Fobs.
Press the START soft key on the scan tool.
Press and hold the LOCK button and the UNLOCK button simultaneously on one transmitter. After a delay of 5-10 seconds , the locks will cycle in order to confirm the programming of that transmitter. IMPORTANT: The scan tool must stay connected until all of the transmitters are programmed.
Repeat the previous step in order to program up to 4 transmitters.
Remove the scan tool.
Operate the transmitter functions in order to verify correct system operation.--------------------------------------------------------------------

2003 Buick Century V6-3.1L VIN J - Transmitter Synchronization
TRANSMITTER SYNCHRONIZATION
Resynchronization may be necessary due to the security method used by the remote keyless entry system. The transmitter does not send the same signal twice to the remote control door lock receiver (RCDLR).
The RCDLR will not respond to a signal that has been sent previously. This prevents anyone from recording and playing back the signal from the transmitter.
Resynchronization may be necessary under the following conditions:
The battery in the transmitter is very weak.
The battery in the transmitter was replaced.
The battery in the vehicle has been in a low or no charge condition for an extended period of time.
In order to resynchronize the transmitter with the RCDLR, perform the following steps:0.1. Stand within 1.5 m (5 ft) from the vehicle. 0.2. Simultaneously press and hold the LOCK and UNLOCK buttons on the transmitter for 7 seconds . The horn should chirp in order to confirm synchronization.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v82/Highpwr/Temp/Keyless.gif

doctor demo
04-23-2009, 01:49 AM
I know this wont help in Your case but I found it both interesting and odd at the same time.
My bride managed to destroy a remote , so off to the dealer we went.
'01 Sevelle , pop open trunk ,pull carpet away from trunk latch area, locate loose wire and ground out, activate new remote. Put trunk back together, thank service mgr. for the help, pay parts guy and talk to Myself the whole way home.

Ground a wire in the trunk to program a remote, Someone could have made some serious coin if they would have bet Me that would work.:D

Steve