PDA

View Full Version : a great bargain for someone buy of the year

Alistair Hosie
04-22-2009, 06:44 PM
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TOOLROOM-LATHE_W0QQitemZ140314748060QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_H ome_Garden_PowerTools_SM?hash=item140314748060&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1688%7C66%3A4%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C 240%3A1318

one of these went for four K recently Alistair

aboard_epsilon
04-22-2009, 06:52 PM
wont be now !

now you've told the whole world about it

and ill bet a lot of people,maybe future members of my group are cursing you now.

it's not the first time you've done this Alistair !!!

i know the guy whos looking at this ..and he aint going to be pleased.

all the best.mark

John Stevenson
04-22-2009, 06:56 PM
Doesn't mean anything.
It's not the price at 18 hours to go it's the price one second past the finishing time that matters.

Alistair Hosie
04-22-2009, 07:16 PM
Look I have a right to post what I like your friends mean nothing to me I am more interested in our friends here I will post what I like when I like your members can get lost. And I'll do it any time I feel like it maybe someone here might like it or maybe your after it yourself ? what I post is none of your business you have no right to tell people what they can post or not ebay is for everyone not your little elite group I hope someone here gets it and serves your right also not a bid on it were are all these so called bidders waiting to get it for nothing there not bidding are they? its a free world I told you that before

aboard_epsilon
04-22-2009, 07:31 PM
I hope someone here gets it and serves your right

the someone here is also member of the group .

the someone here was also hoping to have a bargain .

the someone here maybe isn't a member of the group and was hoping no one had noticed.

the someone here isn't pleased that you told other someones heres

the other someones heres are not pleased that you told the someone here.

all the best.markj

The Artful Bodger
04-22-2009, 07:35 PM
I just hope the seller gets a fair price which he will only do if all potential buyers get to know about his offering.:)

David Powell
04-22-2009, 07:39 PM
The advert for the lathe is on public view on the internet ALL OVER THE WORLD. Its not as if theres a little private deal going on in a small village and Alistair has informed mr Moneybags in the city and hes come down and outbid the potential purchaser because he does not like him. If the lathe were anywhere near me I would be interested, but I am too far away. My mum always said," If you cannot say something nice then keep quiet" maybe that would be a good thought for some posters. Regards David Powell

gnm109
04-22-2009, 07:41 PM
That is a lovely machine. Wish I was on your side of the pond. LOL.

Alistair Hosie
04-22-2009, 07:44 PM
the trouble with you is your paranoid you always have been you think everyone is out to cheat you Get it straight in your head Ebay is not for your little group of pals it's for everyone.I have a right to tell who I Like whether you like it or not. also I will continue to show people here bargains I see it's done here all the time by others you never tell them do you.I am tired of you telling me what I can and cant do I knew before I printed this you would blow a fuse.As john said there is eighteen hours to go everyone has a right to bid in that time your friends should not delude themselves as you do that know one is watching ebay millions are and if this goes for big money it's not down to me telling anyone here most of the guys here are in the good old uSA and wont want it anyone here who is not might bid why I might buy it myself if I want to so tough but get this clear stop telling me what I can and cannot say or print I will do as I please remember that in future your not the big boss.incidently were are those friends as I said they aint bidding.Alistair

gnm109
04-22-2009, 07:46 PM
The advert for the lathe is on public view on the internet ALL OVER THE WORLD. Its not as if theres a little private deal going on in a small village and Alistair has informed mr Moneybags in the city and hes come down and outbid the potential purchaser because he does not like him. If the lathe were anywhere near me I would be interested, but I am too far away. My mum always said," If you cannot say something nice then keep quiet" maybe that would be a good thought for some posters. Regards David Powell

Quite right! eBay goes all the way around the world. There are few secrets on the internet anymore.

Thanks for posting it Allistair! I love to look at things like that.

{Psssst! Now if you can just find me a pristine 1948 BSA B31 (350cc) that I can afford. I had one when I was a mere child and I've never had another motorcycle I liked better. It was a British work of art.....But for Heaven's sake don't tell anyone! It'll just be between you and me and I'll pay you a finder's fee......:p }

aboard_epsilon
04-22-2009, 07:55 PM
I mentioned my group as an example ..

I still say there will be people cursing

The only times i see ebay adverts mentioned here by others ..
are when they are finished
over priced
crap
something wrong with the listing

or the potential buyers are desperate for knowledge about a potential purchase...AND THERE ISN'T ANY OTHER WAY OF FINDING OUT.

unlike you .....ive not called people paranoid .

how about you put up all the stuff you are going to bid on ...and help the people here , if you like the guys here so much !

all the best.markj

Alistair Hosie
04-22-2009, 07:57 PM
Gnm Even if I found such a thing there are no guarantees as you know with ebay if you want it you need to bid thats for sure the most dissapointing thing and a sure fire r ecipe for disaster is to wait till the last few seconds and bid there will be many many people looking at that lathe with the same idea and only one will win why thje buyer may even pull it off if there are no reasonable prospects of selling it for the right some very soon.Alistair ps good luck with your searching :D

Alistair Hosie
04-22-2009, 08:07 PM
At the end of the day you must remember ebay is for evryone your friends arent bidding then it's fair to assume they arent interested are they.You are paranoid I say it again why don't you tell the guys about the time I wished you well when you went to a wedding and you insisted I remove the post in case anyone on the bbs broke into your house and I had to remove it to keep you happy even though it was crazy.Just stop telling me what to do and you and I will be fine I amn not here to serve you remember that I do as I please FuQQ your pals .I will continue to write whet I like if you dont like it then bear it quietly. and see the doc for some pills.

lazlo
04-22-2009, 08:07 PM
Alistair, I agree with Mark -- there's a Heisenberg effect when you post an Ebay or Craigslist ad here or on PM. There's such a small niche of people interested in manual machine tools, so you're pretty much guaranteed to bump the price by posting it.

And like John says, the starting bid amount is pretty meaningless - many bidders will program a snipe for the last 3 - 5 seconds...

Alistair Hosie
04-22-2009, 08:11 PM
lazlo agree with mark if you like I dont care but if the people mark is reffering to want to bid then they should bid there are no bids as we speak anyway if it goes for a cheap amount of money I will buy it myself maybe the problem is mark is after it himself and thats why hes so paranoid anyway he has no right to tell me what to print he does this all the time I do as I please if people dont like it then tough.if anyone programmes a snipe then everyone has had it or notas the case may be.As I said most people here are far too far away for to be interested and if they are near then I hope I have done them some good dont you lazlo want to help your friends here on this site?Alistair

aboard_epsilon
04-22-2009, 08:17 PM
WEDDING .Cant remember .,.but if i did tell you to remove the part of the post ..then i stand by it ..

look at the stats ..

at the bottom

Active Members: 2,054 ...all nice guys I'm sure about that

Members: 22,479,.........but what about the rest of the twenty thousand !!!

and im not telling you im advicing you ..there is a difference.

all the best.markj

DeereGuy
04-22-2009, 09:13 PM
Looks like he has a nice surface grinder for sale also

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SURFACE-GRINDER_W0QQitemZ140314749458QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK _BOI_Metalworking_Milling_Welding_Metalworking_Sup plies_ET?hash=item140314749458&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1683%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C 240%3A1318

mochinist
04-22-2009, 09:54 PM
I say post more

Auctions too

rode2rouen
04-23-2009, 12:00 AM
{Psssst! Now if you can just find me a pristine 1948 BSA B31 (350cc) that I can afford.

These ain't 'zactly BSAs, but they're very amusing singles, and both are for sale.

Rex

http://i721.photobucket.com/albums/ww216/bjorn_toulouse/SR500/bothSRrtsd.jpg

oldtiffie
04-23-2009, 12:21 AM
Alistair, I agree with Mark -- there's a Heisenberg effect when you post an Ebay or Craigslist ad here or on PM. There's such a small niche of people interested in manual machine tools, so you're pretty much guaranteed to bump the price by posting it.

And like John says, the starting bid amount is pretty meaningless - many bidders will program a snipe for the last 3 - 5 seconds...

Maybe so lazlo.

What if you or a friend was a seller of the item that Alistair posted. That would be a good idea then to try and start a feeding/bidding frenzy to "bump" the bidding price. Its a seller that posted after all.

If I was that way inclined I can't see that I could do much better than Mark did in that regard as he put a much bigger pointer to the lathe than Alistair did. It was quite low key until Mark gave that quite unwarranted "serve/blast" to Alistair.

Alistair was and is quite within his rights both with his notifying everyone here about a bargain that they might like to consider - or not. He was equally within his rights in his response in his own defence and assertion of his rights.

Sportandmiah
04-23-2009, 03:41 AM
LOL...you guys are killing me. Here's a link to another good deal someone here was interested in. I hope by me posting this doesn't start a bidding war.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Bugatti-Veyron-16-4-08-BUGATTI-VEYRON-16-4-WITH-634-MILES_W0QQitemZ260394947804QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_C ars_Trucks?hash=item260394947804&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=65:3|39:1|240:1318#ht_13346wt_1044

Bmyers
04-23-2009, 07:10 AM
here is a great deal on a dial indicator.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&item=260396195551

ok, that was shameless self promotion :D

Alistair Hosie
04-23-2009, 09:48 AM
Mark As I see it it's ok for you to tell all your friends about it and I can't thats your law end of story.As I said stop telling me what to do I do as I please and if I can help my friends here I will again and again never mind advising you talk like I'm a naughty boy ( YOUVE DONE THIS BEFORE !!!!!AND MY FRIENDS ARE VERY ANNOYED!!!!!) TELL THEM FROM ME TO GET BENT.Alistair

pcarpenter
04-23-2009, 11:34 AM
I am torn on this issue....some of us may end up paying more by virtue of posting an auction here...or the price may be driven beyond what they can afford. On the other hand, there will never be any way of knowing that one would not be outbid at the last minute by a lurker who does not frequent this site in any way.

I can tell you from my personal experience, it can be genuinely helpful. Iowolf, who owns a Wells-Index mill once posted a link to an Ebay auction for one in TN. I don't know if it even ended up with more than one bid as far as I recall. However, knowing that my uncle was looking for a vertical mill, I promptly emailed him with the auction listing and he ended up owning the milll...and likely would not have known about it but for the posting here.

The same obscurity that may cause a bunch of bidding when a machine tool is posted here can also result in an item going completely unsold when there are valid buyers who may not know about the item.

Paul

ckelloug
04-23-2009, 11:35 AM
I took aboard_epsilon's remarks to be sarcasm. Wasn't this the case?

Alistair Hosie
04-23-2009, 01:23 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No he's serious and the thing went for peanuts at the end of the day all his paranoia was once again for nothing.He doesn't seem to realise that most people here live too fara way to be bothered .I hope he learbns from this and leaves me finally alone .Alistair

John Stevenson
04-23-2009, 01:34 PM
Thanks alistair, got me a nice surface grinder for 100 :D :D

aboard_epsilon
04-23-2009, 01:37 PM
They probably didn't take you serious Alistair ...

seams your recommendations are having the opposite effect

and they thought ..must be junk, Alistair recommended it :)

so carry on :D

all the best.markj

Timleech
04-23-2009, 02:12 PM
It may well have been a bargain, but the description 'Good working order' without any more details tells me it would need viewing before bidding in megabucks.

Tim

small.planes
04-23-2009, 03:32 PM
Was just thinking that went cheap, but I really dont need 2 :p

Dave

pgp001
04-23-2009, 04:32 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No he's serious and the thing went for peanuts at the end of the day all his paranoia was once again for nothing.He doesn't seem to realise that most people here live too fara way to be bothered .I hope he learbns from this and leaves me finally alone .Alistair

Alistair.

I am not taking anyones side here because there are arguments both for and against highlighting ebay items depending on your circumstances.
But I think you should just totally ignore the comments that have been made about this, and just do what you feel is right.
After all no one can physically make you stop posting ebay links can they, if they dont like it let them have their moan about it, but dont let it get to you, life is too short and I am sure you have bigger fish to fry.

The internet is a very big place and this message board is a mere drop in the ocean, so I dont think it will make a huge difference to the outcome of many ebay sales what is written here.

Phil

pgp001
04-23-2009, 04:36 PM
These ain't 'zactly BSAs, but they're very amusing singles, and both are for sale.

Rex

http://i721.photobucket.com/albums/ww216/bjorn_toulouse/SR500/bothSRrtsd.jpg

This is a Beeza, but it definately aint for sale.

http://i456.photobucket.com/albums/qq286/pgp001/BSA/DSC02793.jpg

Phil

davidh
04-23-2009, 04:56 PM
This is a Beeza, but it definately aint for sale.

http://i456.photobucket.com/albums/qq286/pgp001/BSA/DSC02793.jpg

Phil

awsome looking machine. . . .

pgp001
04-23-2009, 05:01 PM
Thanks

I restored it 26 years ago and I am ashamed to say it has only done 2000 miles since then.

I went to work on it last Monday though.

Phil

John Stevenson
04-23-2009, 05:16 PM
I'm guessing 1953 ?

Timleech
04-23-2009, 05:23 PM
I'm guessing 1953 ?

I know nerthing about bikes, but isn't that a prewar reg number?

Tim

Alistair Hosie
04-23-2009, 05:44 PM
Absolutely beautiful bikes you deserve a round of applause.Alistair

John Stevenson
04-23-2009, 05:45 PM
Dunno about reg number but there were no pre war telescopic fork models [BSA ], plunger rear suspension was short lived supposedly '49 to '53 with swinging arm coming out in '54

Alistair Hosie
04-23-2009, 05:48 PM
They probably didn't take you serious Alistair ...

seams your recommendations are having the opposite effect

and they thought ..must be junk, Alistair recommended it

so carry on

So you agree you were panicking about nothing after all I am greatful you have given me permission to Carry On as you put it.I as said will do as I please you keep taking the pills. Alistair

Peter.
04-23-2009, 05:58 PM
Was it your mate who won it Mark?

pgp001
04-23-2009, 06:12 PM
Dunno about reg number but there were no pre war telescopic fork models [BSA ], plunger rear suspension was short lived supposedly '49 to '53 with swinging arm coming out in '54

John

Its actually a 1950 ZB31 with a ZB32 alloy head and barrel from a Gold Star of the same period, it also has the bigger front brake as fitted to Goldies.
Its not 100% Gold Star because the crankcases have a B31 series and not a B32 number, but I did contact the both "Classic Bike" and "Classic Motorcycle" magazine when I first restored it, and apparently it could have been ordered from the factory with that specification, so who knows.

I dont care because I like it the way it is, and it goes just the same as a genuine touring Goldie of that year would, and I am never going to sell it so it doesnt matter to anyone but me.

Might see you at the Harrogate show on the Saturday by the way.

Phil

aboard_epsilon
04-23-2009, 06:26 PM
Was it your mate who won it Mark?

nope.

and Alistair ..yes i encourage you to keep posting your bargains ..

you'll make lots of new friends.

start with finding the south bend bargains for our friends across the pond ..
you know ..taper turning attatchments,..well everything ..the hard to find items that are listed wrong ..

that way you will be helping everyone ...and make even more new friends ..they will all love you for it ..

all the best.markj

John Stevenson
04-23-2009, 06:31 PM
John

Might see you at the Harrogate show on the Saturday by the way.

Phil

Yes be there again as usual, free transport, free entry, free meals, free beer, free accomodation and I get paid for 4 1/2 days.

It's a bastard but someone has to do it................

Peter.
04-23-2009, 06:49 PM
nope.

Well just as an observation he couldn't have been all that keen. The 1st bidder won it with only two other bids less than 30secs from the end. If he was one of them he only lost it due to his own greed. If he didn't then you've made a fuss over something your friend let get away for a song, and Alistair is vindicated.

lazlo
04-23-2009, 06:57 PM
The 1st bidder won it with only two other bids less than 30secs from the end. If he was one of them he only lost it due to his own greed.

Yep, if either of the two snipers are from the HSM Forum (which is a good possibility), then Alistair cost the original bidder, 166.00 :D

By the way, with your definition of "Greed", it's completely fine for a seller to shill bid on his own item, since you would only bid a "fair" amount.
Unfortunately, Ebay doesn't work that way -- it's a poker game, not a retail store...

Peter.
04-23-2009, 07:05 PM
Greed may be too-strong a term I guess. What I mean is, if someone is that deperate to win something they don't leave their only bid too late in the auction to bid again if the current leading bid is higher than they are going to put-in for. By bidding earlier sure it means more people have the chance to outbid you but at least it gives you a chance to make it to 'winning bid' status yourself.

Alistair Hosie
04-23-2009, 07:11 PM
Mr Mark Jones If they are friends like you I need them like a hole in the head man you've changed your tune last night you were furious now you want it repeated. I shall do as I please for the last time without help or interference from you, and Lazlo there was no original bidder what are you talking about.as I said I cost no one a penny If someone here bought it I did them a favour just as Mr Jones was trying to do exactly the same no less and no more, marks attitude is that he can discuss these things with his friends on his own website but I darent do it here with my friends.he's a nutter and thats a mild observation keep taking the pills mr Jones.Alistair

aboard_epsilon
04-23-2009, 07:14 PM
If i was furious i'd be posting in caps like you do for your ebay auctions :D

All the best.markj

Peter.
04-23-2009, 07:15 PM
The original bidder won the auction Alistair - his first bid was more than the two who bid after him, and more than he eventually won it for. I bet he's well pleased.