PDA

View Full Version : HSM Ball Turner

Duffy
04-23-2009, 12:16 AM
Since I live in a "Furrin Land," I got my copy of HSM yesterday and immediately read it cover to cover. The Ball Turner is really slick, but gives rise to a dumb question. Since I have a boring head, why can I not make a long 3/4" shank adapter and mount it, together with handle and stops, in the boring bar holder of my QCTP? It would seem to be the same thing, just not a dedicated tool. Am I missing something? Duffy

The Artful Bodger
04-23-2009, 12:41 AM
[deleted by me, fingers were engaged before brain was properly initialised!]

TGTool
04-23-2009, 12:45 AM
Since I live in a "Furrin Land," I got my copy of HSM yesterday and immediately read it cover to cover. The Ball Turner is really slick, but gives rise to a dumb question. Since I have a boring head, why can I not make a long 3/4" shank adapter and mount it, together with handle and stops, in the boring bar holder of my QCTP? It would seem to be the same thing, just not a dedicated tool. Am I missing something? Duffy

That's a perfectly good plan and has been done before. I believe Jim Hannum posted a picture of one he did a week or so ago on the forum. On the working end, the slide and calibrated movement is all you need, and stops can be added to the shank at the handle end.

<edit> re: bodger's comment. Boring bar holders would be designed so that a bar with tool at its centerline could be adjusted to the lathe centerline and the QCTP usually has ample vertical adjustment.