View Full Version : ODD THING, got the pee shocked out of me welding
04-23-2009, 05:46 PM
I was laying underneath a truck, ground clamp on truck frame.. Working on hydraulic lines.. the stinger (welding clamp with a rod) laying on the floor.
The ground fell off onto my lower stomach, I had very little clearance under the truck and when it started shocking me I could not get away from it. I was humping and jumping.. I saw colors. No real personality changes so I can tell from shock therapy...
I have been welding for more than 35 years and never been shocked like that. I have electric stick welded in the rain on chemical skids where you had to put the rods in with insulated pliers and never been hit like that.
Ya'll be careful.
It was my Miller synchrowave 200, welder grounded properly, building and concrete rebar grounded also.. no clue.. a brand new experience I don't wish to try again.
04-23-2009, 05:59 PM
A little electroshock supposed to be good for yeah? If it wasnt why did all those Shrinks zap patients with it? Take care
04-23-2009, 08:11 PM
David , I started my welding career as a welders helper out on the pipelines , got shocked right regular doing that job . :eek: Moved on to be a journeyman steamfitter , carrying weld certs , I have been "BUZZED" too many times to count since then . Most of them have been a combination of damp concrete floors and damp leads . In your case you completed the circuit and got the short end of it .
I crawled in under a Large industrial boiler to make the final weld on a 4" sch 80 condensate drain and had the same thing happen to me . Not fun when it happens but funny a few years later . I started that weld after morning break and finished up just after one in the afternoon , then crawled out after the apprentice dragged the stinger and cables out . If I had it to do over I would have sent the apprentice in with the stinger and the cables first then crawled in . :rolleyes: Dan
04-23-2009, 09:23 PM
I remember lugging cable up a 200' vac distilation unit, cloudy day repair to small hoist rail above a big valve, got going on the job fitted new girder pully block runner and was putting a stop on the end, rain, ooh heavy rain, sitting astradle of the girder [wet now] pulled stick out of tin stuffed it in tongs bam right in the nuts, fell of the girder about 6 foot onto a platform but didnt focus on the platform looked at the ground 200' below, that was worse than the electocution, my knees wouldent stop shaking for days, shuffling round the house muttering 'bloody vodex bloody rain', i gave welding up not long after i figured there must be a less painful way to earn a living....it got worse
watch out for soggy gloves, plenty of salt in sweat... ouch
04-24-2009, 12:47 AM
Been there done that... never a good feeling getting zapped. Just a bit of dampness is all it takes with stick. :eek:
04-25-2009, 03:04 PM
I read these stories and see I've been lucky over the years; I've been tingled (and thus warned) many times, but never zapped badly. I haven't done much AC stick welding since the early days, but understand that even with the low OCV, AC welding is more dangerous than DC.
I have a pal who rigged his stick welder with a high-freq box to make re-starts easier. I hope he never takes it outdoors!!
David's story of the ground clamp dropping on him makes me even less happy with these magnetic grounds, the kind that you turn a knob to get them affixed to the work. In the first place, I don't think they make a particularly good ground a lot of the time, and they seem to get pulled loose a lot more often than a good old spring clamp. I try to loop the cable around something so I don't accidently pull it loose, but still don't like the magnetic clamps that others seem to think are wonderful.
Mark's story, oh man, that makes one shrivel just reading it!!
04-26-2009, 01:29 PM
I can remember a 400lb plumber working underneath a house in Dalton Ga.. he got into the strip heater wiring in the ductwork.. he was hollering and thrashing about..
The lil ole lady thought since he was so fat he was too HOT and sprayed him with a water hose. He became silent after that.
The fire department took her floor up to retrieve his body.
04-26-2009, 08:15 PM
My only shocking experience was with an arc welder in a mist, in my driveway.
When I started to dance I knew it was time to quit, or get dead.
This white boy can't dance, anyway.:D
04-26-2009, 08:16 PM
Yeah i have trouble fitting into duct work. With the current recession going on im amazed at what im suddemly an expert at LOL Dave you only round 300 pounds so just stay out of them ducts id hate to lose you friend Mike
04-26-2009, 09:18 PM
Ol' Sam our family terrier managed to complete a circuit when he hiked his leg on a backhoe that was being welded on. Didn't learn the first time. Had to try it again.
"There are two kinds of people: those that learn by reading, and observing others, and those that just have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." -Will Rogers
04-27-2009, 09:32 PM
Electrician since I was in puberty:
Yet.. I still peed on a bucket truck wheel before I clipped it to the grounding steel in a switchyard. I was hung over.
Yes, that is worse than a electric fence.
04-28-2009, 11:52 AM
I knew a family that had a kid that would test their fence by grabbing it to see if it was on. She wasn't shocked enough to bother her but she could tell if it was on.
I get shocked just looking at things.:(