PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a replacement work-light shade

Doc Nickel
04-23-2009, 10:49 PM
The plastic worklight shade on my shiny new(ish) tool grinder is broken:

http://www.docsmachine.com/machineshop/baldortg1.jpg

It's the style that screws onto the socket with some fine threads. Anyone know where I can find a replacement? I've already checked MSC and McMaster, at least for plausible keyword combinations, and checked Baldor's page for replacement parts.

Doesn't need to be exactly the same shade, but I would like to have something on there.

Thanks.
Doc.

Lew Hartswick
04-23-2009, 11:39 PM
I don't supose those old "student desk lamps" still exist. The ones
with the flexable metal "thingy" from the base to the lamp shade.
If they do that would be my choice. I have one mounted on a mag
base for my band saw. Look in the used stuff shops.
...lew...

Bguns
04-24-2009, 12:12 AM
Just Spin one up...
Doubt you will strain the Sheldon Spinning a thin Aluminum disk :)

Never done any Spinning, but for a One off, I can't think of a Faster/cheaper way to make a Shade...

If you make it out of Steel/or other easily Solderable Metal ....would be easy to Solder a Threaded bung onto...

Looks like a Simple shape to make a Spinning Plug for...

CCWKen
04-24-2009, 12:33 AM
I agree with Bguns. Spin one. You can spin 24ga. aluminum or brass with wax and a dull stick. Just make a form out of wood and a penny inside an old rubber chair boot over the live center tip. Or for that matter, wrap the thing in foil and make dust. It scares me that a machine shop would hold up production for a lamp shade. :cool:

tony ennis
04-24-2009, 12:47 AM
I would buy a metal cup for 50 cents from Goodwill and use that.

Tinkerer
04-24-2009, 12:59 AM
Don't even buy a cup... just make a big can of soup. While heating wash can drill hole in end and snip ellipse in one side... go eat. Then place on arm... will keep light where you want it. And it's free. ;)