PDA

View Full Version : Question For mainly the Canadian members

PTSideshow
04-24-2009, 07:51 AM
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d200/ptsideshow/DSCF9867.jpg

I picked this up at the NAMES show. And was wondering if anybody knows exactly what type of equipment that Canadian Allis-Chalmers manufactured or sold. As the people at the show that seen it had said everything from a tractor Which is a little silly. To the original 25 cycle Niagara power plant.
It has compound on the face in addition to vacuum in inches, Height of water in feet. along with the name of the manufacture. And what looks like a serial number or part number.:D
I didn't come up with much useful info on searches other than warning of an attack site under the heading of Canadian Allis-Chalmers go figure.

KenL
04-24-2009, 08:02 AM
I picked this up at the NAMES show. And was wondering if anybody knows exactly what type of equipment that Canadian Allis-Chalmers manufactured or sold. [/QUOTE]

Allis Chalmers was a big name in industrial and farm equipment way back. They built farm tractors under their own name and were absorbed into a consortium that sold under the name Fiat-Allis (and may still do). A long time ago they built steam powered equipment and boilers and Heaven knows what else. I don't recognise the gauge you bought but good luck in your quest!

Ken in Ottawa

Greg Q
04-24-2009, 08:05 AM
Just a wild idea, but I seem to recall they made locomotive feed water heaters among the hundreds of other products including tractors. Perhaps it's from a locomotive or other boiler installation.

I'm a few thousand miles away from my reference books on the feed water thing, so I can't verify it right now.

Greg

Evan
04-24-2009, 08:10 AM
It looks like a manifold vacuum guage. Every one I have seen always has a small amount of positive range instead of starting at zero for inches of mercury. 15 feet of water is only half a bar and may have been used as simply a convenient unit for people to relate to.

PTSideshow
04-24-2009, 08:17 AM
It was wall or control board mounted.

oldtiffie
04-24-2009, 08:29 AM
Evan is correct.

It is a vacuum guage calibrated (black) in feet of water (head) for positive pressure (I think that one atmosphere is about 28 feet head of water) as well as being calibrated (red) as vacuum in inches head of mercury (I think there are almost 30 inches of mercury in a perfect vacuum ie zero atmospheres).

My guess is that it is a repeater or master guage used outside a steam boiler room or machinery space. A lot of steam machines use and relay on various levels of vacuum.

My steam practice is very rusty as it is over 40 years since I was taught or used it.

Greg Q
04-24-2009, 08:37 AM
On second glance I see the legend "Jas. Morrison Brass Mfg, Toronto" on the gauge. A Google search got a hit on a Great War forum-apparently a munitions mfg among other things.

Greg

JCHannum
04-24-2009, 08:41 AM
I have little doubt that Glen knows what the gauge is, he is looking for information on Allis Chalmers Canada.

They were probably an arm of A-C in the US and made the same line of equipment. That is a pretty gauge, manufactured when there was still a bit of the artist in the blood of the designers.

oldtiffie
04-24-2009, 09:41 AM
http://www.google.com.au/search?q=Canadian+Allis-Chalmers&hl=en&start=10&sa=N

PTSideshow
04-24-2009, 10:04 AM
Ok here is an interesting site, And from what I read about the plants (hydro electric) in Ontario It could well be from one of the plants that were built in the early part of the 1900's along one of the many rivers and falls.
Thanks
http://www.industcards.com/ppworld.htm :D

vmil3
04-25-2009, 09:20 AM
Canadian Allis-Chalmers also made pumps for pulp & paper mills, and for mines too.