PDA

View Full Version : Central Machinery Brake

34Ford
04-25-2009, 07:55 PM
I have the ocassional need for a pan and box brake. It would be for my home workshop. I am looking at a unit sold by Harbor Freight labled as Central Machinery, #45876, a 48" pan and box rated for 16GA mild steel. Looking at pictures it appears to be the same as sold by Northern Hydraulic, Woodward Tools, possible Grizzly Tools also. The unit is currently on sale at an attractive price. Any experience with this unit?

Thanks

Liger Zero
04-25-2009, 09:12 PM
*car skidding sound* Ahha! A question I can answer!

Clarke makes one as well.

It's sturdy enough, might need some tightening and tweeking upon getting it home but it's good enough for "occasional" use.

Also, bending force required increases with width and/or thickness. Do not think you can cheat the capacity by trying to bend a skinny-arse piece that's thicker than rated capacity, you will distort the machine.

Take that 16 gauge with a grain of salt... Figure at least one gauge size smaller (I hate gauge use %%&*ing decimals!) to get best results, this stuff gets

That's my experience with the CLARK unit. Other opinions will be along shortly.

PTSideshow
04-26-2009, 05:32 AM
A lot of them are made by the same company off shore. Mostly the difference is in fit and finish, the packaging and the mark up. As been said some tweaking, and for occasional use. Not 8 hours a day it will probably work. The Clarke brand is a major supplier of tools and equipment in England and Europe. I don't have that one, but have enough Horrible Fright stuff to now that it will do the job if not tried to be used 8/10 hours a day.
Now all you need is to sign up for the coupons and the 15% 20% coupons that come out once a week or so on their web site.:D

lazlo
04-26-2009, 12:11 PM
The Clarke brand is a major supplier of tools and equipment in England and Europe.

We have Clarke over here too (Tractor Supply Company carries them), and the Clarke-branded tools seems identical in quality, fit and finish to the corresponding Harbor Freight tools.

PTSideshow
04-26-2009, 12:34 PM
I know I have a Clarke MIG welder, we don't have the same depth or choice of equipment they have across the pond. Northern has a another rebranded higher price version of the stuff along with Eastwood yada,yada etc.
:D

wment
04-27-2009, 09:28 AM
I purchased one of the Harbor Frieght pan brakes like you mentioned above. It does a pretty good job for lighter gauge material. I tried a 36" piece of 16 gauge mild steel and had to lean on the brake pretty hard and the bend was not real sharp. My overall opinion is favorable as long as you dont try to go to the max rated capacity.

wm