PDA

View Full Version : Tool AND Auction Gloat

JCHannum
04-25-2009, 10:14 PM
I hit an auction a couple of weeks ago and scored a Jacobs Rubberflex collet chuck and complete set of collets. It had a strange mount, which turned out to be something adapted to an A1-6 mount. Once the oddball mount was removed, it became apparent that it would be simple to make a backplate to adapt it to my 2-1/4"-8 spindle.

At the NAMES show, Richard Triemstra came up with a semi finished backplate with enough thickness to accomodate the A1-6 taper and I set to work. The rough backplate was 8" diameter & I needed a bit over 6" OD so a lot ended up in the chip pan.

Ultimately, I prevailed and ended up with this;

http://i320.photobucket.com/albums/nn351/jchannum/P1060679.jpg

I had been wanting a Jacobs Rubberflex setup for quite a while, but could not justify the cost. This only set me back $25.00 plus the backplate.

Walter
04-25-2009, 10:50 PM
Thats a great deal and a great setup, congrats!

Liger Zero
04-25-2009, 10:57 PM
Cool, so how's it work?

John Stevenson
04-26-2009, 06:45 AM
That must have been a poorly attended auction if it only made $25, I'm surprised that no one spotted it and bought it just to stick on Ebay.

I bought two some years ago with all the collets and back stops so you can hold short pieces without the collet bell mouthing but this was before many people knew what they were.
Can't remember what I paid, it wasn't a lot but I don't keep a tally.

Your Old Dog
04-26-2009, 07:42 AM
Can't remember what I paid, it wasn't a lot but I don't keep a tally.

Got stuck didn't ya? :D

JC, nice score. Kind of a rejuvinating feeing ain't it?

John Stevenson
04-26-2009, 09:22 AM
Got stuck didn't ya? :D

No genuinely can't remember, didn't come from auction so either came with machines or off the scrappie.

I have one that fits the big TOS and I made a backplate for one to fit the small TOS but to be honest I never use them, don't know why just not a chuck of choice.
If I need collet capability I tend to use 5C's or ER32's, no real reason, just what I have got used to using

One of them had an inbuilt L0 fitting with large taper and screw but I turned it off to get a flat backplate fitting as I don't have anything on L series spindles. Never owned a L series machine so that one could have come off the scrappie.

The scrap guys at this period were fetching tons of gear weekly out of Plessey telecommunications as they were changing over from mechanical telephone exchanges to electronic.
Nothing was sold, everything was scrapped and their mind set was weight, pure and simple.
Their main problem was space because of the amount of metal being processed each week. I saw 6 ironworkers stood in the yard for a week then loaded into a skip and scrapped together with boxes of tooling that no one even looked thru.

If Ebay had been around then these guys would have been millionaires and that is no exaggeration.

JCHannum
04-26-2009, 09:26 AM
The Rubberflex collet system uses a collet with steel gripping elements held in a rubber matrix. They are accurate and each collet covers an 1/8" range. They accomodate odd sizes and metric as well as inch. The complete set of 11 collets goes from 1/16" to 1-3/8". The collet pictured is 1/2"-5/8".

http://i320.photobucket.com/albums/nn351/jchannum/P1060680.jpg

They are pricey, and I was surprised to get it, the individual collet sets usually go for more than that for each box. The auction was well attended and on-line as well. Bidders may have been put off by the mount, but I got several other items for way below their usual prices; two Federal Surface roughness gages for $30 & $40 each for instance. eBay was my original goal of course, but when I saw how easily it would adapt, it became mine.

rockrat
04-26-2009, 10:24 AM
Nice find. Glad to see the backing plate you found worked out.

Indeed those collets are the cats a-. As you noted the wide range of holding diameters for one collet make them a prized possession. It sure beats having all the little collet reducers that I have made from scrap sitting all over the place.

rock~