PDA

View Full Version : Spell Checking

John Stevenson
04-26-2009, 09:34 AM
Using Firefox to read and post to this board and have the dictionary added.

Problem is that when posting a long post after so long the spell checker fails to highlight incorrect words ?

Starts off OK and them after a few paragraphs I spot a word typed incorrectly but not highlighted.
Right click, uncheck spell checker, then right click again and select it and it then highlights the incorrect words ?

Anyone else have this problem?

Had it for a while so it's not the current Firefox release.

A.K. Boomer
04-26-2009, 10:10 AM
Starts off OK and them after a few paragraphs I spot a word typed incorrectly but not highlighted.

Its not a mind reader SJ --- another words it won't pick out the correct words for you too --- example; "starts off OK and them" ----- even though you misspelled "then" them is still a word and will be allowed into your post, hope this helps.

John Stevenson
04-26-2009, 10:12 AM
No that was a genuine mistake.
I'll see if I can get a screen shot

rode2rouen
04-26-2009, 10:14 AM
I'm using Firefox as well, but I can't say that I've noticed the symptom you've described.
Is it possibly an "English" English / "American" English issue?
Color / colour, for example, shows the "English" spelling to be amiss.

Rex

Timleech
04-26-2009, 11:16 AM

Problem is that when posting a long post after so long the spell checker fails to highlight incorrect words ?

Right click, uncheck spell checker, then right click again and select it and it then highlights the incorrect words ?

Never noticed that, though I don't post as often as you. I'll watch out for it in future.
I'm using British English Dictionary 1.19 with Firefox 3.09

Tim

J Tiers
04-26-2009, 11:24 AM

I have seen a related issue, but haven't tried unchecking etc.

It sometimes seems to randomly accept misspellings, but when I later try some of them, just to be certain a bad spelling wasn't added to the dictionary, it correctly marks the misspelling.
FF3.09

NSB
04-26-2009, 12:27 PM
Seems to be known about, see :-

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=423640

Might be worth updating to a recent version?

saltmine
04-26-2009, 01:22 PM
You're lucky...The spell checker in my Outlook Express does it's spell checking in Russian. I've written to Microsoft, and they have no idea how it happened (the copy I have is a digitally signed, Microsoft product)
So...Whenever I compose an e-mail, and want to spell check it, I cut the whole text and paste it into my Microsoft word program, run the spell checker, then cut and paste it back into the Outlook Express text box.
It's a PITA, but nobody seems to have a clue on how to straighten it out.

malbenbut
04-26-2009, 01:51 PM
Av niver heffa neadid to yoos the spel cheka as i can spel ok
MBB

John Stevenson
04-26-2009, 06:02 PM
Caught it.
Whilst I was typing the camera mega pixels post I noticed that I had miss spelt batteries and it hadn't picked it up.

http://www.stevenson-engineers.co.uk/files/spell1.jpg

Although it had picked MiG up, right clicked, took spell check off, right clicked and put it back on and it found it.

http://www.stevenson-engineers.co.uk/files/spell2.jpg

Still picked MiG up and also picked Gerts up because it was missing the apostrophe.
This with the latest Firfox and latest dictionary .

dp
04-26-2009, 06:27 PM

I've seen it here quite often on my Mac version of Firefox. Never found a cause - it goes away and returns at odd times.

Norman Atkinson
04-27-2009, 05:26 PM
Surely one is adult and has followed a curriculum which included the elements of the English Language and that having left college or school or remand home , one ( that's the part of the 3rd person) has continued to read something rather more elevating than page 3 in one of the daily rags?

Hence( that's a nice word) one continues to develop and add additional languages to vocabulary as the years progress.

We should have an increasing knowledge of the arts and sciences rather than sink into the nardir of abysmal ignorance and have to rely on something as putrid as a computer programme( N.B- note bene- spelling)

Having written all this , a letter came from the Open University which used 'loan' as verb and continued with the error which should have used 'borrowed'

It's rather an abject admission of failure to even mention having problems in grasping the elementary principles of the Three R's.

O'deer, owe deare. Kwell Fromage

Norme

Charles Ping
04-27-2009, 07:13 PM
.....I'm using British English Dictionary

*shaking head*
How did we let that happen? You'll miss the last two letters of "programme" next.
If it's English in England it shouldn't need a regional qualification - or am I just howling at the moon?

Charles

Timleech
04-27-2009, 07:23 PM
*shaking head*
How did we let that happen? You'll miss the last two letters of "programme" next.
If it's English in England it shouldn't need a regional qualification - or am I just howling at the moon?

Charles

That's how it's described by its creators, I think we all know what is meant ;)

As for Norman's diatribe which I take to be a long-winded way of saying that we shouldn't need spill chuckers, I find that sometimes I'm uncertain about spellings which came naturally to me 20 or 30 years ago.
As much as anything, though, they're a good way to pick out tryping errors which might otherwise go unnoticed.

Tim

J Tiers
04-28-2009, 01:33 AM
Found a NEW issue, the opposite.....

It has been observed to highlight CORRECT words, and suggest that they are incorrect. Generally plurals, which I observed it trying to suggest possessives as an alternate for.....

That is odd.

Norman Atkinson
04-28-2009, 03:33 AM
Tim,

Not a Dia-Tribe but merely an English one.

None of these 'Red Indian' Bows and Arrow things but genuine hyperbole.

And, Sir, if you are being 'H-arrowed' after a mere 20-30 years, may I suggest that you do move from page 3!

What about 'Narrow dog to Carcassone' as a bit of light reading for a wav-vvvv-ey nav-vvvv-y person to enjoy?

Norm

Ron of Va
04-28-2009, 04:42 AM
Write your message in a word document. Spell and grammar check it there. Highlight it with your mouse. (Control + C) copies what you highlighted. Then put your curser in the place you want it to go. Then Control + V to paste it where you want to put it.

I use this everywhere, because I can spell worth a crap.

Norman Atkinson
04-28-2009, 06:01 AM
What guarantee have you that the spellcheck grammar and dictionary are correct?

Quite frankly, all those that I have used are not worth a pinch of Chinese sh1t.

One of my old girl friends who was a grammar school teacher in geography, could tell where her pupils lived from their spelling.

N

Curser is actually Cursor.

I'm the curser who writes with a cursive hand

Circlip
04-28-2009, 06:41 AM
One of the problems I found when first using this site was the lack of a spiel chuck, and sorry Norm, I normally excuse my bad spelling with the explanation that propper Draughties (translation-Draftys) can't spull.

One thing I find really amusing is that when loading the operating system from cold, (Microsloth Windoze etc.) It asks what type of English I want to use????. Strangely enough, I thought the clue would have been in the question, as by definition English is surely ------ ENGLISH????

Sadly the language has been bastardized with Americanisms in the computer world, so why don't the programmers have the guts to put AMERICAN in the language choices and give some of us recognition for use of the mother tongue.

Regards Ian.

Norman Atkinson
04-28-2009, 06:57 AM
Hi Ian!

Of course, it should be 'Spelling cheque-oops, check' not 'Spell'

After all, spells are cast by wizards and witches.

And these lot are not fit to be the 'Saucerer's Apprehensive'

( Spelt it wrong, capeau noir pour moi?

N

speedy
04-28-2009, 07:00 AM
Ian, that should be "A Maori can", OK?

Circlip
04-28-2009, 07:01 AM
Silver plate Norm. :D

Timleech
04-28-2009, 07:07 AM
Tim,

Not a Dia-Tribe but merely an English one.

None of these 'Red Indian' Bows and Arrow things but genuine hyperbole.

And, Sir, if you are being 'H-arrowed' after a mere 20-30 years, may I suggest that you do move from page 3!

What about 'Narrow dog to Carcassone' as a bit of light reading for a wav-vvvv-ey nav-vvvv-y person to enjoy?

Norm

I'm often Harrowed by my wife, who can't spell to save her life, calling out 'how do you spell.....?'
Page 3 of today's paper is about openness in the Family Courts.

I haven't read Narrow Dog, I did very roughly what he did over 30 years ago but in a more appropriate vessel (barge from Yorkshire) and without a dog.

Tim

Norman Atkinson
04-28-2009, 07:11 AM
Nope, let's stick with 'Stirling silver' after my gaffe.

Stirling, after all, is a place with a condom factory next to one making peramulators.

Having said that, the Agile and Syphilitic Highlanders who were billeted in the castle did get the regi-mental one patched there.

A grew some tail with a lot of drawbacks!

N

John Stevenson
04-28-2009, 07:51 AM
We don't want a spell checker, we want a post checker.

The odd misspelt works I can understand , whole posts are a different matter.

Norman Atkinson
04-28-2009, 07:59 AM
What sort of post- metal or wood?

Not that I wish to cause a fence.

N

Evan
04-28-2009, 08:06 AM
I don't use a spell checker Norman. I make plenty of typing errors but I do try to find them and fix them. As Tim said, my misspelling detection ability has degenerated over the years. I do find that it seems to be related to learning new languages. For some reason each time I become familiar with another language it reduces my ability to spot misspelled words in the English language. I just discovered by pure accident that I can read, to a certain degree, Romanian. It looks quite easy.

You're lucky...The spell checker in my Outlook Express does it's spell checking in Russian. I've written to Microsoft, and they have no idea how it happened (the copy I have is a digitally signed, Microsoft product)

Check the settings in Microsoft Word. It supplies the spell checking function in Outlook Express.

Norman Atkinson
04-28-2009, 08:21 AM
Surprisingly, I agree with Evan. The influence of other languages does affect those who like myself rarely use a dictionary. I write and fail to spot French and Spanish creeping in. One possibility is that my wife and I 'pun' in three languages.

Sadly, our efforts and complaints here about spelling and grammar are pi55ing into the wind. Probably the best thing is to joke about it.

Norm

speedy
04-28-2009, 08:26 AM
pi55ing into the wind. Probably the best thing is to joke about it.

The "English shower" cartoon??

Norman Atkinson
04-28-2009, 08:59 AM
Hi Ken,
11 reported cases in NZ. Seems as if we will all need a sense of humour. I'm watching the Spanish connections closely

Best wishes

Norman

Peter.
04-28-2009, 10:31 AM
Since I use IE I find the free spell checker iespell (http://www.iespell.com/) works pretty well. It won't work with Firefox though, what about Spellbound (http://spellbound.sourceforge.net/index) have you tried that John?