PDA

View Full Version : VFD up Lathe down

tiptop
04-26-2009, 06:56 PM
Hi all,

Well I snuck out to the shop today and got the wire pulled and hooked up on the VFD for my Monarch lathe. The VFD seems to be working but the lathe won't start. This big Teco VFD I got is a lot more complicated than the little one I have on my Fray miller. I had the cover off to hook up the wires and it looks as though there is a whole computer in there. It needs to be programed but this is where I fall down on electricity. So I guess I will call the Teco rep tomorrow and maybe he can run me through it. Sure will be nice to get this lathe up and running though.

Jay

hardtail
04-26-2009, 07:21 PM
Hi all,

Well I snuck out to the shop today and got the wire pulled and hooked up on the VFD for my Monarch lathe. The VFD seems to be working but the lathe won't start. This big Teco VFD I got is a lot more complicated than the little one I have on my Fray miller. I had the cover off to hook up the wires and it looks as though there is a whole computer in there. It needs to be programed but this is where I fall down on electricity. So I guess I will call the Teco rep tomorrow and maybe he can run me through it. Sure will be nice to get this lathe up and running though.

Jay

Good news Jay.....smile, maybe just a case of having a few parameters preset so it has an idea of whats it's supposed to do?

I think the fellas would like to see of your woodwork if your into it.......?

tiptop
04-26-2009, 08:51 PM
Hardtail,

Yes, I am sure that is all it needs. It is just more complex than I understand. Soon, and it will be nice. The photos are here in this thread. I put links for my album and if you click on a photo then you can see it full sized.

Thanks for your support, Jay

tiptop
04-27-2009, 12:45 PM
Hi All,

I couldn't stand the pressure, so I got online and looked up a quick start manual last night. This morning I read through it, and was able to go through the steps in the set up in a logical progression. The lathe motor started up and ran great. I even had it wired for the proper rotation, "Luck". So now that it goes round and round, I can finish checking the oiling system out and make sure I don't have any clogged supply lines, do so minor adjusting on the clutch lever and brake and then fit up my tool post. I may get to make chips with this thing yet.

Jay

hardtail
04-27-2009, 03:15 PM
I guess it's safe to say theres no woodwork going on in the library today......grin