PDA

View Full Version : Good or bad time to buy a Pontiac?

winchman
04-27-2009, 12:31 AM
With GM planning to drop the Pontiac brand, is now a good time or a bad time to buy one? Will the Solstice become an investment-grade collectible?

Roger

airsmith282
04-27-2009, 08:12 AM
just because htey drop a line dont matter they will still support parts for many years ,, also there will also be after market parts you can get as well, any one that goes to the dealer for parts needs to ask then selfs how rich they are after market parts are way cheaper and just as good if not better on alot of cases ..

bsides if you cant buy then make it,,business for fab shops will increase alot iam sure if parts become rare or impossible to get..

i own a G5 pursuit and even in my shop as small as it is iam sure ill be able to make most of the parts for my car if need be,

loos the the chev colbalt its the same car as the g5 for many many parts so if the pontiac parts are not gotten due to part numbers get the chev parts ,, i use to do this all the time between my sable and my tauras 99% sawp compatability,,

goose
04-27-2009, 09:23 AM
If you're a trade in type of person, any defunct brand will bring less dollars at trade in time.

Gary

rode2rouen
04-27-2009, 09:57 AM
Will the Solstice become an investment-grade collectible?

Magic 8 Ball says, "Unlikely".

Rex

bob_s
04-27-2009, 10:06 AM
Will the Solstice become an investment-grade collectible?

Roger

Yes, as long as the male population have any remnant of testosterone.

saltmine
04-27-2009, 10:29 AM
I'd say it's a good time to buy a Pontiac.

First and most importantly, they're going to be "dirt cheap" (practically giving them away)

Secondly, all of the parts, with the exception of some badging, is interchangeable with Chevrolet.

The Solstice is a nice little sports car. I don't know about "investment grade", but it's a fun little car to drive. And, as mentioned earlier, factory and aftermarket parts will be available for a long time. When I worked in a parts store, we were ordering and selling parts for 100 year-old cars...so I don't see any problem getting parts for Pontiacs, in this lifetime.

kendall
04-27-2009, 05:15 PM
Agree with saltmine, On most of the GM lineup badges and possibly paint color being the only real exceptions. There a a very few that are unique to the line, but otherwise they're all the same.

Which is why I don't see any real savings by stopping production of a make, instead I expect a slight increase in costs, having to change letterheads etc, signs on the factories, and the cost to dealers to change their letterheads and stationary signs etc.

Ken

Mark Hockett
04-27-2009, 06:23 PM
The only Pontiac I would even consider is the Pontiac Vibe, it is a re badged Toyota Matrix. Toyota should be in business for quite a while.

Mcgyver
04-27-2009, 07:45 PM
was there ever a good time to buy a Pontiac ?

:D

(after my last one, I've become a certified GM hater)

Jeffw5555
04-29-2009, 08:41 AM
I travel for my job. A lot. I rent cars maybe 52 times a year, once a week on average. Always with Avis. I get to try out many different cars and enjoy it. Nowadays, when they give me the ubiquitous white Impala, I refuse it and ask for something else. Anything else...

A few times I have been given a Pontiac Aztek. If this car personifies everything wrong with GM, then it is understandable why they are in the predicament they are in today.

I'm not talking about the basic ugliness of the design, which is the common criticism of this car. I like ugly cars; takes a bit off my own ugliness, I suppose. I am of average height; 5'10". When I look out the rear view mirror, I cannot see cars behind me, as they designed in a bar that goes across the lower hatch between the upper and lower glass panels. WTF were they thinking? Did they not have a person of average height sit in the prototypes and question this design?

Norman Atkinson
04-29-2009, 09:19 AM
Pontiac Solstice? Bloody Hell!

Wouldn't pull the skin off rice pudding.

Norm

kendall
04-29-2009, 12:54 PM
I'm not talking about the basic ugliness of the design, which is the common criticism of this car. I like ugly cars; takes a bit off my own ugliness, I suppose. I am of average height; 5'10". When I look out the rear view mirror, I cannot see cars behind me, as they designed in a bar that goes across the lower hatch between the upper and lower glass panels. WTF were they thinking? Did they not have a person of average height sit in the prototypes and question this design?

Agree, they are poorly designed cars.

My son took his drivers test in my cousins Aztek a while ago.
I rode with him, and the instructor failed him as soon as he saw the car.

Said he'd never seen anyone pass the test driving one so he automatically failed them.
Ticked me off that he didn't even let him re-schedule with a different car before failing him.

Ken.

RancherBill
04-29-2009, 01:36 PM
Ford in Canada dropped the Mercury label 10 (???) years ago.

IMHO, it didn't seem to make a difference one way or the other. A car is a car. Great / Unique cars are always collector cars. The others are rust buckets.

What I find of more concern is they are closing dealerships. Sure some of them are weak and should go. The problem is the multi-dealership dealers will open up in these locations with MORE Foreign brands. Then the real free for all will start. US vs. Japanese vs, Korean vs. Chinese vs. Indian vs. New Electric vs. European vs. British cars.

With the triple whammy that has hit the car companies it has to be remembered that cars are still wearing out. There is a HUGE demand spike that will becoming in a few years.

Norman Atkinson
04-29-2009, 02:02 PM
Frankly, I cannot get my head around the comment such as British cars v European ones and so on.
It doesn't work that way in Britain and Europe. The old allegiance with 'British cars' or European cars or whatever, no longer applies.

My Merc C270 may be made in Stuttgart but the Germans only make the estate cars there. Where the rest are made? Try South Africa.
My Mini Cooper is BMW but BMW is Munchen( Munich) but Minis are UK.
At least, that is what I was told.

However, I drive a Hyundai in Spain. One would think that the choice would be SEAT but SEAT is owned by VW in Germany. Hyundai makes- or so I am informed- the machinery to make most cars.

Over the street from here( England) my neighbour makes Nissans to go to Japan.

So unless your government puts a tariff wall up, think in terms of cars with better everything but not from the US.
Economy and safety will eventually overcome national pride.

Would you like a car that will strip the a$$ off a Pontiac? My Merc SLK will outpull the Pontiac- and the SLK is 'a hairdresser's car!'
Would you like a car that will do 146mph and give 50+ mpg? at 60-70+mph?
Try a Merc C270. After all, Merc has to fit governors along with BMW etc.

If you want 75mpg, get a little High and Dry diesel.

Of course, if you are happy to use hay, get a horse.
The hay may stick in your crops but that's show biz.

airsmith282
04-29-2009, 02:16 PM
to tell you the honest truth and i fixed and have driven alot of different cars over the years there all junk just some are better junk then others some cost more to fix then others ..

so far the best car i have owned has been my pontaic G5, only jus ttoday it only cost me 14.00 for a w shape spring for my rear brake not to bad just like to know how it broke in the first place, oh well not bad for owning it for the last 2 years..

all my brakes are still like new and we put over 30k on it sence we got it and most of thats intown driving .

Norman Atkinson
04-29-2009, 02:56 PM
Airsmith!

Do you really MEND motor cars? I always thought that you lot on the other side of the Pond were rich.

I might wash my cars but when you get to 79 years, one get's rather daft notions.

Mend cars? Mend cars? Oh, well. There are a few Brits here who do, but there are always those who are outside Three Standard Deviations from the Mean. If you know what I mean?

Cheers( if appropriate)

Norm