PDA

View Full Version : Tool Gloat - Holdridge Radii Cutter

MickeyD
04-27-2009, 02:12 PM
I have needed/wanted a ball turner for the last 5 or so years but never ran across an affordable used one the right size. I did find some nice plans and twice bought the materials to make one but they got used in other paying projects before I got around to making them. Guess it never got high enough on the totem pole...

Last Friday I got lucky and found an almost new Holdridge 3D at a shop that is doing some dramatic downsizing for a good price. The paint on it is interesting. It is a splatter style that reminds me of the trunk of an early 60's Dodge.

http://p1800s.com/images/holdridge.jpg

gzig5
04-27-2009, 02:19 PM
I have needed/wanted a ball turner for the last 5 or so years but never ran across an affordable used one the right size. I did find some nice plans and twice bought the materials to make one but they got used in other paying projects before I got around to making them. Guess it never got high enough on the totem pole...

Last Friday I got lucky and found an almost new Holdridge 3D at a shop that is doing some dramatic downsizing for a good price. The paint on it is interesting. It is a splatter style that reminds me of the trunk of an early 60's Dodge.

http://p1800s.com/images/holdridge.jpg

Nice. I picked up a 3S for $50 a couple of months ago. Now I need to find decent examples of Atlas ocmpound and cross slide handles to copy.

garyphansen
04-27-2009, 02:51 PM
I think that set cost about $300-$400 in real money back in 1965. Very good score! Gary P. Hansen

Spin Doctor
04-27-2009, 04:18 PM
I hope you can read Greek , "cause you're gonna need it to figutre out the insrtructions :D

lazlo
04-27-2009, 04:30 PM
Last Friday I got lucky and found an almost new Holdridge 3D at a shop that is doing some dramatic downsizing for a good price.

Mike, you might qualify the gloat that they sold you the Holdridge for such a good price in return for half a day's labor :D

Mark McGrath
04-27-2009, 05:08 PM
I bought a 4" ball capacity one brand new from the factory in 1985.It cost about 450 when at that time the dollar was probably about $1.3=1.
No plastic in the box,all wood and very nice.
Mark.

MickeyD
04-27-2009, 06:00 PM
No Robert, the 48 CAT40 tool holders were for the couple of hours of sorting through the toolroom. But if I had not been digging around, I would not have found it.

lazlo
04-27-2009, 06:39 PM
But if I had not been digging around, I would not have found it.

Good point -- who knows what other cool stuff they'll find when they move out ;)

Hal
04-27-2009, 08:44 PM
Mickey

Nice score!!!!!

Austin seems to have some nice machines/tooling in that area.

Hal