PDA

View Full Version : OT: Sometime people astound me, in a good way.

Liger Zero
04-27-2009, 08:56 PM
I bike. Everywhere. If I don't have to bring the wife-unit with me I bike rather than drive.

I'm talking pedal-bike. 3 speed, 10 speed, 21 speed... Not motor.

This comes from an extended period of just not having money for a car and having to bike for several years... in the winter... up hill both ways.

Now that I've got things "right" I still prefer to bike. 20 miles round-trip is nothing to me.

Think about it, daily commute those miles add up. 10,000 miles on a bike!

Well the one I had was getting up there, the bearings were grinding a bit... the shifter wouldn't stay adjusted, the crank-bearings were meh the wheel not as round as they used to be...

Well I was going to put money down on an uberbike... Came home discussed it with Bank Of Jenifer.

Decided to walk to the public library, got about half way there and someone waved me down.

Seems this fellow had seen me biking here there and everywhere and said he had a bike for me, either for parts or fix it just get it out of his yard.

I was expecting a rusted out piece of junk.

WHAT I GOT was a $250 sport mountain bike (21 SPEED) with a busted front brake. No challenge for an accomplished home-shop machinist such as I. FOR FREE.

Seems his son discovered the joy of video-games and hadn't ridden it in 18 months, dad wanted it out of the garage.

Amazing. I'm going to sit here and gloat and polish my chome some more.

Maybe I'll get lucky and someone will hand me a Bridgeport. "Husband hasn't run it in 18 months I want it out of the garage." :D

outback
04-27-2009, 09:07 PM
Very cute story.

I have ended up with some nice FREE stuff. People that know me also know I will appreciate having the item, I'll take care of it, and I'll use it. You must have a similar reputation.

Most notable gifts were:

35 hp Mercury outboard
A couple of motorcycles
Countess tools and scrap metal
Electric motors
a GPS
a Couple of Motorola marine radios

Outback

Liger Zero
04-27-2009, 09:21 PM
I have ended up with some nice FREE stuff. People that know me also know I will appreciate having the item, I'll take care of it, and I'll use it. You must have a similar reputation.

Most notable gifts were:

*snip phat-loot list*

Outback

I've gotten a few things over the years like this... I guess I'm just used to people being a$$-holes and idiots so it astounds me when people do stuff like this.

On the other hand I have given a quite a few computers away to people and fixed cars for nothing... stuff like that... Wonder if people gloat when I give them stuff? :confused:

Doc Nickel
04-27-2009, 09:22 PM
Maybe I'll get lucky and someone will hand me a Bridgeport. "Husband hasn't run it in 18 months I want it out of the garage."

-Last year I bought a Sheldon lathe from a widow. She charged me a high, but ultimately relatively fair price, considering the tremendous amount of tooling that came with it.

The hubby also had a mill-drill, similarly tooled up, that someone had bought before I got there. (Not that I needed it.)

Turns out, that mill-drill was the one sold at last week's tool auction I went to. (Small world!)

Now, the local machine-shop teacher had been called in to put a value on all the tools so the widow could liquidate- she was moving out of state. The teach put a fair market value on everything he could find- spent some twenty-plus hours over several days to help the poor lady out.

I spoke at the auction with one of the fellow's friends (friend of the guy whose stuff was being auctioned.) He said the original asking price for the mill-drill had been $1500, when one day the lady called up and said "come and get it. I need it gone". He apparently gave her $100, and she nearly refused even that.

So yeah, it happens. I have a guy that's giving me an old Rockford camelback drill press. It's in bad shape, but free. Come get it.

And I'm sure there's more than a few stories out there of a death or divorce where the remaining/surviving party "just needs it gone" and doesn't have the time or interest to hire an auction house or something.

Doc.

TGTool
04-27-2009, 10:48 PM
Yeah, it does happen. I've got a Maserati that came that way. Blown head gaskets, coolant in the sump, abandoned on the street and cycled through the police auction. If I want to fix it up I can have it. Of course fixing it cost about as much as buying the thing with a running engine, but it makes a good story.

hardtail
04-27-2009, 11:29 PM
Amazing. I'm going to sit here and gloat and polish my chome some more.

:D

Now if they hadn't outlawed that polygamy bit you could've had one of the wenches putting a shine on it and other things.........

Really good story though........I am a firm believer in whatever you want to call it karma/good deeds and have experienced it many times over.......

Dawai
04-27-2009, 11:38 PM
wenches putting a shine on it

Yeah, triggered a brain cell.. a ole girl living with me, I looked out after I heard a noise.. two cars hit head on in front of my house. She was on her hands and knees in a bikini with a toothbrush cleaning between the springs on the panhead.

The one I got now could care less if all the paint fell off the bike. (my bike has a motor)

Alguy
04-28-2009, 01:07 AM
In the past year i was given a dumore tool post grinder and kalamazoo 5c collet block fixture and between 5 and 10 lbs of new drill bits and few carbide burs , by three friends , i never expessed a desire for any of the stuff they said here take it, i wont use it any more. it kinda humbled me a bit .

madman
04-29-2009, 09:29 AM
Well a dumore grinding attachment, a pile of cutters actually a metal bin FULL. Sold loads but kept some. (a ton or 2 LOL) Materials once people found out I made stuff from metal all kinds of materials started showing up at my home. Free woo hoo. A free Norton Surface Grinder. A free grinding magnetic chuck. Got to meet really nice people with a hobby like mine. Made some friends. Had a lot of fun. Still meeting interesting people all the time. I think meeting people is the one FREE thing that i have enjoyed the Most. From the amazing group here at The HSM site I consider myself fortunate to have met such a great group. Thanx Mike aka madman

38_Cal
04-29-2009, 11:14 AM
Just got home from helping a friend move some machinery in the Chicago area, with a trunk weighted down with a 12" rotary table, a rotary base for my Bridgeport vise and a Bridgeport right angle head. The base is on long-term loan, the others were "Here, take this stuff home, it's yours."!

David
Montezuma, IA

Liger Zero
04-29-2009, 07:13 PM
Rode my new bike from the middle of Webster Village to the middle of Sodus back to Ontario, took me about three and a half hours total. Would have been less but I had to stop and reassemble the brakes a couple of times, I think a piece is missing they keep "grabbing" the wheel due to vibration.

It's either that or a cable tension issue. Minor annoyance, the bike rolls sweet and 21 speeds... oh yeah. :)

aboard_epsilon
04-29-2009, 07:19 PM
i had a guy bring to me his bike to fix a few times a couple of years ago
seems they aint making them well

grit and sand can get into the wheel bearings and ruin them in a short period of time

this was true of the chinese crap he was buying

all the best.markj

Liger Zero
04-29-2009, 07:23 PM
Also road-salt.

Q: what kind of idiot rides in the winter?
A: do shut up.

:D :p

gregl
04-29-2009, 09:28 PM
Be sure to pass it on. I've been given stuff and have given it out, too. Stuff I could have sold but I found someone who would enjoy and take care of it so that's who it went to. It's a good feeling.