PDA

View Full Version : Ya'll had a surprise lately? Snake in the machine.

Dawai
04-27-2009, 09:44 PM
http://photos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs010.snc1/2885_1052752921234_1298124187_30115554_7932303_n.j pg

Crazy snake.. I was just sanding away on the magnets and coil on this engine.. then I noticed the snake a few inches from my fingers.. It ran down into the mower deck.. then when I got the old thing cranked.. it ran back into the engine cover.. when it started getting hot and smoking, it ran out onto the ground.

Quite aggressive, I called my vicious pittbulldog out there and made him stand in front of me and his tail was between his legs.. as the snake (non poisonious) was striking at me The dog was crying. NOW butch, he'd protected Daddy.. This Hee Haw sleeping on the porch dog don't want to.

Snake was about four feet long and big as my finger.. had a blunt tail.. Hog-chicken snake?? no clue..

RetiredFAE
04-27-2009, 09:54 PM
So David, which did it taste like, Hog, or Chicken?

Steve

Dawai
04-27-2009, 10:01 PM
Actually, it smelled like chicken cooking come to think of it.. ha..

I love fixing things.. Probably give this snapper mower back to my older brother. My place is too small to use it. These old mowers are TOUGH..

Liger Zero
04-28-2009, 07:32 AM
So what sort of snake was it?

Dawai
04-28-2009, 07:43 AM
I've heard them called chicken snakes.. black w white belly, small spots. These get 5-6 feet long and small diameter.

No king snake crowns coloring. King-Black snakes actually kill other poisonous snakes. If you have them, you won't have the other.

What you have to be careful of? water moccasins are black too. Triangular head, short, fat diameter, blunt tail. I had one on my welding table I was showing to everyone in the family, when they looked it up, it was poisonous.. and I have been around snakes here in the south.. Cotton mouth, another name.. sometimes black or dark grey.. no rattlers..

The rattlesnakes have all but disappeared around here. Copperheads are the evil ones.. will run at you and not retreat. Most bites are copperheads.

Edit: I had a pet black snake for 5 or so years. I'd put him in my cargo pocket of my camo pants and forget about him. I was walking through the mall and noticed people moving way back out of my way.. he was about a foot and half out of my leg pocket looking where I was going. A security guard was in close pursuit. A big girl sat in my lap at a friends place, the snake started wiggling cause of the pressure.. HER EYES GOT HUGE and she jumped up.. He bit me several times, he was never really a loving pet, just a one-way novelty.. when he'd bite he'd leave two holes.. I folded his head open once looking for poisonous fold-down snake fangs.. found two bony bumps in the roof of his mouth... they use them to break eggs and eat them. The sores would not get well for a long time, snakes, all reptiles are nasty, food rots in their belly.

I'm not scared of snakes, but sure hate surprises. If this one had been aggressive and poisonous, I'd been bit out of stupidity.. Most people never see them. They blend in. For every one snake you see, there is probably 10 you don't see.

Liger Zero
04-28-2009, 07:49 AM
We get lots of little snakes around here. Biggest snake we ever had was about five foot long.

Never did figure out what it was. Mean sucker kept trying to bite me through the glove. All I know is the neighbor said it was not poisonous.

madman
04-28-2009, 03:12 PM
Or do them Canadian Style I have used a weed whipper to snap at a nest of rattlers up at the old Boat house they did NOT like it.

Dawai
04-28-2009, 06:58 PM
I got the first one up a 357 shotshell Mike.

NOW, 10 of them rascals were $17.. and you know how cheap I am.. I am carrying my bush axe everywhere I go.. It don't cost a thing to kill, hack mutilate with.

Anyways, first one up is a CCI #9 shotshell. Still loving that taurus 357-5shot w/Crimson trace laser grips. It has been my companion now for six months or so.

Jimno2506
04-29-2009, 10:53 AM
Looks like a black rat snake. VERY beneficial. Please don't harm. They are excellent climbers, eat rats and mice, non venomous.

Regards,
Jimno

madman
04-29-2009, 04:00 PM
Dave mail me one of em op here . Would be good for Hog Control.

x39
04-29-2009, 06:07 PM
These old mowers are TOUGH..
I like working on old mowers (at least high quality ones) too. I've got a 20" Yazoo walk behind that I've used for over twenty years. It was old when I got it. The other day I scored a 24" Yazoo with some engine issues free for the taking. Great mowers.