X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • .RC.
    • Aug 2004

A scraper sharpener

Finally got around to making a scraper sharpener for carbide scraper blades.

I don't currently have a spare small 4 pole so I decided to drive this by an electric drill...

The wood block has been milled to a 4 degree slope...It works really well and gets the blades just like new..I used a 6305 and a 6202 bearing for the spindle..

Some pics..

Pic 1 some 65mm round chucked up ready to go..

Pic 2 parting off some 65mm round to make the spindle housing...Big bore lathes come in handy, even if they are worn out..

Pic 3 drilling a 30mm hole through it, with no pilot hole..

Pic 4 some of the parts..

Pic 5 the finished item...A bit rough but it works...

Precision takes time.
  • .RC.
    • Aug 2004

Precision takes time.

Comment

• Greg Q
      • Aug 2007

That's excellent, Ringer. Is that a cast iron disc?

I am in need of something similar to hone my scrapers, don't have a lathe as it is awaiting restoration.

Greg

Comment

• tiptop
        • Feb 2007

Ringer,

That's using your imagination. Little rough, that can be cleaned up later, at least you can sharpen your scrapers, eh.

Jay
        "Just build it and be done"

Comment

• .RC.
          • Aug 2004

Hi Greg, Yes it is a cast iron disc, it is 7" in diameter I acquired the disc by dubious means that would get me seriously flamed if I posted it here (it involved an angle grinder, hammer and a larger piece of cast iron)..The diamond paste I use is from this company http://www.kemet.com.au/index.html and is the 8 micron size grade 8KD-C2. I think I have got scraping a flat surface down OK, but I have not got the more important skills of scraping a flat surface and keeping it in alignment with another plane...What I really need is a DVD showing me how that sort of scraping is done, like the Rich King one..

Hi Jay, Yes it is a bit rough, I plan on trying to aquire a little 1/3 or 1/4 hp motor that I can them make a more permanent solution...I was thinking along the lines of a washing machine motor...
          Last edited by .RC.; 04-29-2009, 02:51 AM.
          Precision takes time.

Comment

• tiptop
            • Feb 2007

Ringer,

I have scrapers that need sharpening but have not got to making a sharpener yet. I am pleased to see someone else making one with what is on hand. I suppose when I get to scraping I will be forced into a build but you are ahead of me with yours.

Jay
            "Just build it and be done"

Comment

• Greg Q
              • Aug 2007

Originally posted by Ringer
              Hi Greg, I think I have got scraping a flat surface down OK, but I have not got the more important skills of scraping a flat surface and keeping it in alignment with another plane...What I really need is a DVD
              Didn't I...oh, wait. OK, tomorrow I'll get right on that. I have been making spotting masters for my cross slide dovetails from a chunk of durabar I bought from Forrest at the scraping class. Flattening that stuff by hand right off the saw gets old in a hurry. I still have to touch up one straightedge and do from scratch two others, but at least they've been milled flat already.

Greg

Comment

• Teenage_Machinist
                • Jun 2008

Don't be ashamed of clunky disk-making technique. I used a lathe parting blade, a sawzall, and hacksaw for mine.

Comment

Working...
                X