PDA

View Full Version : American axle will not make axels in the USA

PTSideshow
04-28-2009, 05:19 PM
American Axle will not make axles in the USA. They are closing the plant for at least the summer, and maybe longer. They are transferring all work to their Mexican plants. So since they aren't making any axles in America any more. They will be putting upwards of 500 people on the street. According to the UAW release. Which AA denies.

Should they have to change their name to MEXICAN Axle :rolleyes: And remember their biggest customer is GM. Which was part of GM before they sold it off! And does that mean all new GM cars will have a low rider and hopping option :D

dp
04-28-2009, 05:23 PM
Should they have to change their name to MEXICAN Axle :rolleyes:

Mexico is American as is Canada. We, on the other hand are in the United States of America. We are no more nor no less American in the US. These tasteless comments go along way toward making the US look very racist.

Carld
04-28-2009, 05:34 PM
They could call them MexTex Axles or AmeraMex Axles or MexAmer Axles or Those Axles. ;)

gnm109
04-28-2009, 05:39 PM
Mexico is American as is Canada. We, on the other hand are in the United States of America. We are no more nor no less American in the US. These tasteless comments go along way toward making the US look very racist.

I disagree. It's not racist to mention the word "Mexican". There is, however, something terrbly wrong with a company named American whatever that makes all of its products in Mexico.

Furthermore, Mexico is not as American as Canada - not by a long shot. The Canadian society is far different than that of Mexico. I can't imagine anyone even saying that. It's downright insulting and I'm not even a Canadian.

BillH
04-28-2009, 05:40 PM
http://www.flightschoolreview.net/images/uhhh.jpg

Speak for yourself. When you say the word American, about 90% of the world thinks United States.

Carld
04-28-2009, 05:45 PM
Americans are neither Mexican or Canadian. If you don't think so just go to Mexico or Canada and try to get a job like the Mexicans do when they come here. In Canada they may spit you across the border. In Mexico they may put you in prison on bread and water until you die.

America is the only country that treats illegal imigrants as if they are legal and give them more rights than the Americans have.

topct
04-28-2009, 05:50 PM
Speak for yourself. When you say the word American, about 90% of the world thinks United States.

They are mistaken.

Drawing lines in the sand at this point in human history is totally pointless.

topct
04-28-2009, 06:02 PM
Americans are neither Mexican or Canadian.

Yes we are.

topct
04-28-2009, 06:06 PM
There is no man. There is no country. There is no continent, that is a self sustaining island unto itself.

PTSideshow
04-28-2009, 06:19 PM
Well the latest on the news is they are shutting the doors to their largest plant here when the shut down begins at the auto plants in June. The local union guy said upwards of 600 people will be permanently out of jobs. And the per centage of American made parts in GM cars just went down again. So if GM builds their vehicles in other countries and then imports them in to the US. Are they still US cars. Like a lot of people are whining about American made products.

As to what you want to call the peoples of Mexico,Canada or the US. I personal don't care as there was nothing in my original post. Having anything to do with it what the peoples are called or racial statements.

Any racial connotations, were inferred by certain readers I guess. The point with the Government forcing Chrysler in to bankruptcy and a give away to Fiat. GM circling the toilet. the only US car or trucks will be Fords,Toyota's and Honda's for American made content in production.

The world as we have known it. is over!

Welcome to the NEW World order!

derekm
04-28-2009, 06:34 PM
When I hear a person with an "across the pond" accent with a slight scottish burr to it I am very careful to refer to them as "North American" until I can find out if its New England or Canada... Canadians get a little uptight about being treated as though they are part of the U.S...

America is not just the U.S...

Derek

Lest we forget - Dieppe, the Atlantic, and the Seven Years war....

bhjones
04-28-2009, 06:51 PM
Don't sweat it. BO The Anointed One will simple fire the CEO, force them to take some govt. cash then "restructure" the company by giving 60% of the company to the UAW with the remainder being held by the Fed and a token amount help in "private" hands.

The UAW better watch out though. It's going to be tough to keep up the management/worker class warfare Bullsh*t when they in fact are management.

They will be putting upwards of 500 people on the street. According to the UAW release. Which AA denies.

bhjones
04-28-2009, 06:56 PM
Sometimes I just think of Canada as unfinished business from that spat we had back in 1812.

Canadians get a little uptight about being treated as though they are part of the U.S...

topct
04-28-2009, 06:56 PM
The Times They Are A-Changin'

Come gather 'round people
Wherever you roam
And admit that the waters
Around you have grown
And accept it that soon
You'll be drenched to the bone.
If your time to you
Is worth savin'
Then you better start swimmin'
Or you'll sink like a stone
For the times they are a-changin'.

Come writers and critics
Who prophesize with your pen
And keep your eyes wide
The chance won't come again
And don't speak too soon
For the wheel's still in spin
And there's no tellin' who
That it's namin'.
For the loser now
Will be later to win

Come senators, congressmen
Please heed the call
Don't stand in the doorway
Don't block up the hall
For he that gets hurt
Will be he who has stalled
There's a battle outside
And it is ragin'.
It'll soon shake your windows
And rattle your walls

Come mothers and fathers
Throughout the land
And don't criticize
What you can't understand
Your sons and your daughters
Are beyond your command
Your old road is
Rapidly agin'.
Please get out of the new one
If you can't lend your hand

The line it is drawn
The curse it is cast
The slow one now
Will later be fast
As the present now
Will later be past
The order is
Rapidly fadin'.
And the first one now
Will later be last

Bob Dylan

Ries
04-28-2009, 06:58 PM
I got a question-

What happened to the chinese company that was going to buy Ford's axle division?

I thought that Neapco, which is Wanxiang's US division, said they were going to actually build a NEW axle plant in Van Buren township, Mi.

Did that ever happen?

If it did, its kind of ironic that, while GM is moving jobs to Mexico, the Chinese are still making axles here in the good ol USA.

aostling
04-28-2009, 07:01 PM
title: American Axle will not make axels in the USA

Perhaps because of global warming they have decided to move their one-and-a-half turn ice skating jumps to Canada.

loose nut
04-28-2009, 07:37 PM
Sometimes I just think of Canada as unfinished business from that spat we had back in 1812.

You mean the War of 1812, the one where the Yanks where going to free Canada from the British and in each of the 5 invasion campaigns got there asses wupped and sent packing.

Don't even try and consider that a US victory.

tony ennis
04-28-2009, 08:03 PM
Har, I see the testosterone is flowing freely.

Is it any surprise that a manufacturing job would go where it is cheaper to produce and involve less union BS?

Regulation and unions are making moving jobs out of the US very attractive.

Liger Zero
04-28-2009, 08:12 PM
Yeah its very attractive to move to countries with few to no labor laws and unenforced health and safety standards.

We Americans have standards damn it, don't work us to death for $7.50 an hour!

What's that? Pedro can do my job for $7.00 an hour and doesn't complain about the shooting pains in his wrist and the funny splotches on his skin from the solvent? :rolleyes:

Frankly anyone NOT upset by the loss of manufacturing jobs from this country is PART OF THE PROBLEM and needs to wake the hell up to reality.

That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

Without a manufacturing base without those skills being passed on and otherwise retained we are nothing more than pellet consuming rodents in some Chinese/Mexican/Indian maze blindly consuming shoddy crap because the TV tells us to.

...of course that applies to those of us fortunate enough to HAVE jobs these days. :rolleyes:

Lew Hartswick
04-28-2009, 08:15 PM
As far as I can see from the Atlases all of "South America" and
"North America" is American. It isn't my fault if the "rest of the world"
doesn't understand that.
To make it even more of a "ball of worms" there a quite a few of
the other "American" countries that are also groups of
"United States" so we in the 50 (whatever you want to call em) just
can't win. :-)
...lew...

loose nut
04-28-2009, 08:38 PM
You forgot Central America.

PTSideshow
04-28-2009, 08:46 PM
I got a question-

What happened to the chinese company that was going to buy Ford's axle division?

I thought that Neapco, which is Wanxiang's US division, said they were going to actually build a NEW axle plant in Van Buren township, Mi.

Did that ever happen?

If it did, its kind of ironic that, while GM is moving jobs to Mexico, the Chinese are still making axles here in the good ol USA.

Don't know if they ever did but they didn't open or build any plant. Our scum sucking Gov would still be screaming about it if they did!;)

Weston Bye
04-28-2009, 09:07 PM
I have had personal dealings with AAM, developing a couple of products. They were difficult to deal with, and treated us very badly during the project, then stiffing us out of the production of the product (sent to Korea) after doing the development work.

I I find myself in between though, with no love lost for AAM management, but also having little sympathy for the UAW who feel that they are "entitled" to "their" great big dollar jobs.

tony ennis
04-28-2009, 09:32 PM
We Americans have standards damn it, don't work us to death for $7.50 an hour!
What's that? Pedro can do my job for $7.00 an hour and doesn't complain about the shooting pains in his wrist and the funny splotches on his skin from the solvent?

There isn't a union manufacturing job making as little as $7.50/hr (think more like $15 and up) and there isn't a Mexican making as much as $7/hr. Just sayin'

What I find problematic is that the politicians who think free-trade is the key to a healthy economy never lose their jobs to outsourcing. The government safety regulators who pile layer upon layer of regulation and paperwork on the factories never lose their jobs due to outsourcing. The business owners who move factories to the 3rd world never lose their jobs to outsourcing. The union bosses who squeeze the companies don't lose their jobs to outsourcing. The greenies who are saving the planet by pushing environmental regulation onto factories won't lose their jobs to it either.

Every one of these types of people think they are doing the right thing.

And the real issue is there is little pressure - or leverage - to keep the plants operating efficiently and cheaply in the US.

dp
04-28-2009, 11:05 PM
I disagree. It's not racist to mention the word "Mexican". There is, however, something terrbly wrong with a company named American whatever that makes all of its products in Mexico.

Furthermore, Mexico is not as American as Canada - not by a long shot. The Canadian society is far different than that of Mexico. I can't imagine anyone even saying that. It's downright insulting and I'm not even a Canadian.

Are you being obtuse or did you actually not recognize the reference to "low riding and hopping action" for what it was - ethnic stereotyping.

mochinist
04-28-2009, 11:39 PM
Hmm I'm only part Mexican, maybe thats why I make more than $7/hr
vatos locos forever holmes:cool:

Anyways I was out on a job today helping one of my mechanics, we had to go to a local foundry and work on one of their big lathes. We got there at 6 am and sat in a safety class for 1.5 hrs(water bottle going into molten aluminum video was pretty cool), now we head over to the lathe building, between safety checks and putting our lockout locks on the lockout box another hour has gone by(thats 5 billed hours so far). The rest was inspecting two lathes and replacing the main thrust bearing in one of them, we got out of there at about 5pm this evening, probably could have been done at about 1 or 2pm if we didn't have to put caution tape around everything, have a third safety meeting to update the foreman what we were going to be doing, have to wait for the certified overhead crane operator to come back from smoking, etc.

We get paid for all that, but it will suck when they just decide to close and move to somewhere with less red tape

BillH
04-29-2009, 12:11 AM
Hmm I'm only part Mexican, maybe thats why I make more than $7/hr
vatos locos forever holmes:cool:

Anyways I was out on a job today helping one of my mechanics, we had to go to a local foundry and work on one of their big lathes. We got there at 6 am and sat in a safety class for 1.5 hrs(water bottle going into molten aluminum video was pretty cool), now we head over to the lathe building, between safety checks and putting our lockout locks on the lockout box another hour has gone by(thats 5 billed hours so far). The rest was inspecting two lathes and replacing the main thrust bearing in one of them, we got out of there at about 5pm this evening, probably could have been done at about 1 or 2pm if we didn't have to put caution tape around everything, have a third safety meeting to update the foreman what we were going to be doing, have to wait for the certified overhead crane operator to come back from smoking, etc.

We get paid for all that, but it will suck when they just decide to close and move to somewhere with less red tape
And that is why everything is now made in China.

bborr01
04-29-2009, 12:25 AM
I live in the USA.
1. I consider myself an American. When I have spent time at a nascar race with people from Canada, they refer to us as Americans. We refer to them as Canadians.
2. I have vacationed in the interior of Mexico. The locals refer to us as Americans. We refer to them as Mexicans.
3. People from Panama are Panamanians.
4. Etc., Etc.

Yet we are all from America. Get my drift.

One thing I did notice in Mexico. A Chevy Suburban taxi and a Chevy Corsica cab with manual transmissions. I had not seen any of these two vehicles in the states with manual transmissions. When I asked one cab driver about the manual transmissions, he said there was a huge tarriff that the government imposed on automatic transmissions. Mexican content law. They didn't build automatics in mexico.
He said the only automatics in mexico were in government cars. Of course the government exempted itself from the tarrifs they imposed on the citizens.

In the US, it seems any country can dump any product here with no tarrifs.
I don't have a problem with fair trade but free for all trade is killing this country. It is no shock that our economy is on the skids lately.

gnm109
04-29-2009, 12:30 AM
When I hear a person with an "across the pond" accent with a slight scottish burr to it I am very careful to refer to them as "North American" until I can find out if its New England or Canada... Canadians get a little uptight about being treated as though they are part of the U.S...

America is not just the U.S...

Derek

Lest we forget - Dieppe, the Atlantic, and the Seven Years war....

I wonder how Canadians like having their society compared to Mexico. Do they prefer that to being compared to America? Maybe I made a mistake sticking up for them. LOL.

gnm109
04-29-2009, 12:31 AM
You mean the War of 1812, the one where the Yanks where going to free Canada from the British and in each of the 5 invasion campaigns got there asses wupped and sent packing.

Don't even try and consider that a US victory.

If only we had fought a little harder. LOL

doctor demo
04-29-2009, 12:33 AM
American Axle will not make axles in the USA.

It is a good thing they are not USA axle , they won't have to change their name.

Steve

oldtiffie
04-29-2009, 01:09 AM
The thread title is: "American axle will not make axels in the USA".

I'm not surprised, as I thought it more probable that axels were "made" in Scandinavia and Germany.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Axel

Carld
04-29-2009, 01:51 AM
On my world Atlas the countries above Panama are North America and the countries below Panama are South America. The North and South land masses together are called the Americas as I was taught but that was in the 1950's. Some politically correct jerks may have changed that now.

The accepted terms are, citizens of Mexico are Mexicians, the citizens of the USA are Americans, the citizens of Canada are Canadians, so on and so on. If you want to call your self a citizen of the Americas that's fine but I am an American from the USA and proud of it and I am damn tired of our manufacturing going away and I am extremely tired of politically correct jerks.

If you think I am mad, your wrong. I'm not mad I am just feed up with politically correct people and losing our manufacturing jobs. We have doomed ourselves by becoming so prosperous that it gave other countries the chance to steal away or jobs and we let them. The high paying jobs for the average person are gone and the living expenses are so high most people have a hard time even having a place to live little alone food and a car.

I am lucky so far because I am retired but the **** hasen't really hit the fan yet so I may be on the street with everyone else some day.

dp
04-29-2009, 01:56 AM
If you think I am mad, your wrong. I'm not mad I am just feed up with politically correct people and losing our manufacturing jobs.

I'm going to say it again, this time for you:

Are you being obtuse or did you actually not recognize the reference to "low riding and hopping action" for what it was - ethnic stereotyping.

I am patient and I don't mind cutting and pasting this in again and again till the cows come home.

Ries
04-29-2009, 02:46 AM
Don't know if they ever did but they didn't open or build any plant. Our scum sucking Gov would still be screaming about it if they did!;)

I dunno- all the news I can find on lines says that Neapco, the chinese owned Pennsylvania company, has opened a 345,000 sq foot new plant in Van Buren Township, MI, to manufacture the driveline components formerly made by ACH, the former Ford division.
Supposedly employing 1000 US workers to make drivelines here.

doctor demo
04-29-2009, 02:52 AM
I am patient and I don't mind cutting and pasting this in again and again till the cows come home.

DP , this reminds Me of an old news clip where Adalade Stephens ( I think that's right) says " I'm prepared to wait 'till hell freezes over""

Steve

dp
04-29-2009, 03:14 AM
Adlai Stevenson and that is what he said. I've no doubt he meant it. That was when democrats abhorred the far left. How times have changed.

PTSideshow
04-29-2009, 07:20 AM
I dunno- all the news I can find on lines says that Neapco, the chinese owned Pennsylvania company, has opened a 345,000 sq foot new plant in Van Buren Township, MI, to manufacture the driveline components formerly made by ACH, the former Ford division.
Supposedly employing 1000 US workers to make drivelines here.

Well then they have played up the Pa connection and played down the China connection.Here locally, which is strange because our Gov. Seems to spend more time in China. On fact finding and trying to get them to move to Michigan.

As the AAM American Axle & manufacturing was once the Chevy gear and axle, before it was sold. So Now the major tax feeder for Hamtramck. As the plant complex splits along both cities of Detroit and Hamtramck. And not forgetting the liqueur store and Bar that will be impacted by the closing. The second lead story after the swine flu stories this morning.

As long as the jobs, and some of the money stays in this country. It really doesn't matter which country the corporate head quarters is.

gnm109
04-29-2009, 07:21 AM
I'm going to say it again, this time for you:

Low riding and car hopping are part of the U.S. Hispanic culture. There are shows and contests all over the country with competitors doing wheelies and bouncing up and down. There are shows on Speed Channel all of the time celebrating the low rider life style. It's become a big uindustry. So we can't talk about it or make references to it without being accused of stereotyping people who do those things? Tell them to take the shows off the air and quit having their contests. How silly.

Politically correct folks like you are attempting to muzzle thought and action in this country in the name of feel good liberal nonsense.

I repeat, there is something wrong about a company that sends all of its work to another country and retains its American name.

Political correctness be damned.

chief
04-29-2009, 07:40 AM
Please take pretend outrage over "racism" and shove it. Your BS outrage over "mexican" is nothing but politically correct garbage. Free speech is free speech whether you agree with what is being said or not. Grow up and get over your mindless worship of the magic "negro" and his socialist trash.