PDA

View Full Version : Ot, I love my old 1976 hobi cat

tattoomike68
04-30-2009, 02:43 AM
Its a doll. Iv never seen the sails till 2 weeks ago, I was thrilled. Even put some miles on it. This summer I will be on the river not online yapping my flap.

:D

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f24/snoopdog6502/grace.jpg

dp
04-30-2009, 03:00 AM
Looks like the 16' in the pic but hard to tell for sure. I loved those, too. Easiest boat to put in irons of anything under a sail but when they grab the breeze they fly! Nothing compares to hiking out on a close hauled Hobi Cat in a fresh and steady wind while tillering a fathom of air under the upwind keel.

Those bluffs are strongly reminiscent of our Columbia River Gorge here in Washington.

barts
04-30-2009, 03:05 AM
Looks like the 16' in the pic but hard to tell for sure. I loved those, too. Easiest boat to put in irons of anything under a sail but when they grab the breeze they fly! Nothing compares to hiking out on a close hauled Hobi Cat in a fresh and steady wind while tillering a fathom of air under the upwind keel.

Messing about in boats... ahh. I've been spending evenings rebuilding this antique steam engine to replace the converted refrigeration compressor I've had in my boat for 19 years - last year it was laid up; this year we're going steaming again!

Cats are fun... and if you do get in irons, they're so light that back-winding the jib and backing down will get you on your way again very quickly.

- Bart

tattoomike68
04-30-2009, 03:44 AM

Those bluffs are strongly reminiscent of our Columbia River Gorge here in Washington.

yea thats port kelly washington on the columbia river.. its a hobie 16

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f24/snoopdog6502/mapriver1.jpg
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f24/snoopdog6502/portkelly-1.jpg

Once the water is warm im going to roll the boat and get schooled for real. The maps where i go, thats my sailing place.

dp
04-30-2009, 03:47 AM
Messing about in boats... ahh. I've been spending evenings rebuilding this antique steam engine to replace the converted refrigeration compressor I've had in my boat for 19 years - last year it was laid up; this year we're going steaming again!

Cats are fun... and if you do get in irons, they're so light that back-winding the jib and backing down will get you on your way again very quickly.

- Bart

Very fun - they wallow miserably in light airs but any fresh gust and it is off to the races. I badly recall the little brother, the 14' version had no jib at all or one worthy of great mirth and I recall more than one occasion towing one to favorable seas. Those were the most tender of the Hobi line and least forgiving of a dogleg tack but still quite a hoot to corkscrew off across a bay.

jkilroy
04-30-2009, 07:15 AM
Really like the bigger ones with keel boards, was that the 18? I used to sail them in the Gulf Of Mexico, nothing like a fresh breeze, get one rudder all the way out and listen to the other one sing, what a blast!

Circlip
04-30-2009, 09:22 AM
They used to be part of the Ad. in the R/C comics with the curly wing (Elliptical dihedral) toy glider they marketed.

Regards Ian

Mcgyver
04-30-2009, 10:17 AM
sailing is such a blast, I had an Albacore for while and have done lots of great lakes and offshore cruising in other peoples keel boats, really a nice way to spend time.

looks like a beautiful spot you've got there, enjoy it

Mike of the North
04-30-2009, 04:28 PM
My brother's have cat's one has a 20' Shark, and he co-owns a 32' Wild wind with my other brother. They raced Slingshot one day and only lost by 1/2 a mile, the guys on Slingshot said it was the best race thy had had in awhile.
Thy are fun boats to sail.
http://sharkcatamaranclass.org/WHAT.HTML
http://209.20.76.247/ss/history/

derekm
04-30-2009, 05:44 PM
Apart from a reluctance to tack there's another drawback to the fun (which there is lots). If you fall off (e.g. missing the ring with the trapeze hook) the back. They dont come up to wind and stop... They keep on going, and going
So dont let go of the tiller...

Been there, done that, got the embarassment :)

Even more embarassing in a shipping lane...

topct
04-30-2009, 05:49 PM
Those are fun boats to sail. You will learn lots with it.

:D:D:D

Be careful. There is a prevailing wind through there, if you can master it, you can call yourself a sailor.

You did get a trailer with it?

tony ennis
04-30-2009, 06:18 PM
Beautiful.

I like the idea of sailing on a boat, but I hate the idea of owning one.

winchman
04-30-2009, 06:57 PM
I had a Hobie 14 and then a Hobie 16. I sailed the 14 on the ocean and a lake, but I sailed the 16 exclusively on the lake. The 16 had the Keoke sails with tan hulls and an orange trampoline.

On both boats, I made some modifications and some fixtures to enable me to rig them single-handed in several minutes on or off the trailer.

I used a rag jib made from an old Windsurfer sail in conjunction with a 14 mainsail on the 16 to make it safe to go out solo when it was blowing like stink. I wasn't heavy enough to right the 16 solo, but I never turned it over when I was solo using the 14 main with the rag jib.

I had a pile of fun with both boats.

Roger

tattoomike68
04-30-2009, 07:00 PM
Those are fun boats to sail. You will learn lots with it.

:D:D:D

Be careful. There is a prevailing wind through there, if you can master it, you can call yourself a sailor.

You did get a trailer with it?

Yep it came with a trailer, got the whole works for $600. I had a few minor repairs and had to rewire the trailer.

Now the woman wants a jet ski to use as a rescue craft. I am all for that.

Scishopguy
05-01-2009, 01:29 PM
Mike...there are all kinds of little improvements you can easily make on stock Hobis that make them a lot easier to use. I had a couple of friends that used to get me to make accessories for their boats in exchange for rides whenever I wanted them. We would go out around the sea bouy at the mouth of the St Johns river, at Mayport Florida.

The first and most useful thing that most folks wanted was an improved arrangement for the tiller cross bar. On the stock boat they just have the 1" aluminum tubing sitting on the tiller arms with just a piece of rubber and a clevis pin holding them together while they swivel. I copied a commercial accessory that was on the market for a steep price (about $100 in 1972). It was a delrin block with a 1" hole through the middle, that was cut in half, leaving a cradle for each tube, that was then drilled up through the cradle for a 1/4" stainless bolt and lock nut. THe blocks sat with the flats facing one another, the bolt up through the middle had a stainless washer between the head and the tiller bar, and a washer on the nut end against the cross bar. We used stainless nylock nuts and, to my knowlege, these never failed, once put in place. It took about $2.50 worth of delrin and a couple 1/4"x2 1/2" stainless bolts and locknuts to fix all the problems with the OEM design. Having your own shop will greatly enhance the enjoyment and cost effectiveness of the hobby for you.

I envy you man, those boats are more fun than about anything I can think of and pretty easy to handle, even in the ocean, as long as you avoid the northeasters and storms. :D

Enjoy!

barts
05-01-2009, 03:17 PM
I envy you man, those boats are more fun than about anything I can think of and pretty easy to handle, even in the ocean, as long as you avoid the northeasters and storms. :D

Enjoy!

You also want to be aware of pitch poling - these things can bury the leeward hull something fierce, and if you're doing 20 knots when this happens you're gonna go
flying.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9YnsYm9Uik

- Bart

derekm
05-01-2009, 03:22 PM
yea thats port kelly washington on the columbia river.. its a hobie 16

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f24/snoopdog6502/portkelly-1.jpg

Once the water is warm im going to roll the boat and get schooled for real. The maps where i go, thats my sailing place.
Just get a wet suit ...
A mate of mine suggested a cat sailing course to me and the missus. So all three of us went a long .... a real hoot... both me and SWMBO had been sailing cats in Nassau but this was a chance to do it in the Solent in the cold. The school had a range of wetsuits to suit the weather it being the UK it can be quite cold in the water at any time of year...
The poor instructor gathered he his students were "ringers" and decided that we had to sail the Hobies single handed and needed extra capsize practise, and of course trapeze instruction, hence my intro to not letting go of the tilller unless you want to be left behind in the oggin.

It was fantastic fun even for a confirmed monohull person like myself . I almost bought a Cat there and then.

The classic moment onthe course was the class room bit where the poor instructor was supposed to teach us about tides and basic nav for dinghy sailors

Two yachtmasters and a day skipper then started arguing over the lights a tug shows when the tow is over two hundred metres long and partially submerged...

Great fun...

Peter.
05-01-2009, 03:32 PM
Looks like fun :D

Excuse my ignorance but - 'put in irons'?

Scishopguy
05-01-2009, 03:56 PM
You also want to be aware of pitch poling - these things can bury the leeward hull something fierce, and if you're doing 20 knots when this happens you're gonna go
flying.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9YnsYm9Uik

- Bart

That reminds me of one fella who took his boat out in 10-15' breakers off Jax beach Florida during a northeaster. It was great fun until he came in through the break. He came off the top of a whitewater and burried the left hull. The whole boat cartwheeled, sending the crew on the trapeze sailing around the mast. They managed to destroy the boat but nobody got killed...not for lack of trying though. :(

barts
05-01-2009, 05:55 PM
Looks like fun :D

Excuse my ignorance but - 'put in irons'?

http://quis.qub.ac.uk/sailing/techinfo/points.htm

- Bart