PDA

View Full Version : need some Monel 400

Carld
04-30-2009, 02:18 PM
I need a 1" dia x 24" round solid bar of Monel 400. Does anyone have some they would sell me? A little over 1" would work.

SGW
04-30-2009, 06:08 PM
Have you tried McMaster-Carr www.mcmaster.com ?? I think they sell Monel in small quantities.

Carld
04-30-2009, 10:09 PM
No, I had forgotten about them, I will call or email them. I have tried all the places suggested here and some I found online and the metal could have been silver for the price they wanted. In fact I think I could buy silver cheaper than the equavilent weight of Monel 400.

What is interesting is the scrap price is about $6-7 per pound and the 24" piece I want is about $200 to $300. I suppose the piece may weigh about 5 lb so that's a huge jump from scrap to new :eek: .

Edit: just checked McMaster Carr price is 304.60 for 2 ft :eek: :mad: it's a rip off.

pressurerelief
05-01-2009, 11:13 PM
Carld, If you find a cheap supplier for Monel 400 or for that matter Hasteloy C give me a shout. Both are expensive but they know who is buying it and price it accordingly. Machining Monel is not on my list of fun stuff to do. I have had it work harden pretty quick.

P/R

Quetico Bob
05-02-2009, 10:00 AM
Carld, have a couple pieces of manganese round 19-3/4" x 2. You're welcome to one of them for shipping cost if would work. Was used for making super hard pins, something to do with the old mine here. It does rust though. Its was out in the weather for several years and mill scale pretty rusty but where cut to lenght is not bad. Was told it work hardens real easy and also called mangeloy? (spelling)
Cheers, Bob