PDA

View Full Version : Scrap value of a Bridgeport

oddball racing
05-01-2009, 07:37 AM
What is a general scrap value of a J-head bridgy with a 42" table?

The man said "Give me 2-3 times scrap value and they're yours."

Good machines. J-Heads made them "junk" in the old shop owners eyes.

Apparently,After some steep OSHA fines, he said his shop will never again run a belt powered anything! Efffing govt' interference! ( his words)

What to offer?? One leg up on the game, I have a crane truck for pick-up.:D

On another note. Does anyone ever pay more than a song for that school owned stuff that they occaisionally dispose of? It seems someone always gets it for a song instead of just getting it for what it's really worth to someone that can still use it. I'm talking the $75 milling machine or lathe that would have been a good deal even at $600-700.

Any thoughts people?

Mcgyver
05-01-2009, 08:35 AM
scrap price x weight, isn't scrap around 7-10 cents? good time to buy.

I've bought a lot of out schools, in your example, never got the 75 dollar machine, but usually about 1/2 of what i figured it was 'worth'. 4" Brown Boggs shear for $300, Norton Surface grinder $400, 18" Buffalo DP for $150, that sort of thing. The again worth is high subjective...not like you can get 15 min delayed quotes on the latest 40 year old bport trades....and when you do find comparables it's apples to oranges as condition and accessories vary. Around here, I'd think schools getting rid of stuff has mostly run its course

DR
05-01-2009, 09:50 AM
scrap price x weight, isn't scrap around 7-10 cents?

.................................................. ..............

In my experience there's a wide gap between the "scrap" price when you're selling to the scrapper and when you're buying from him.

At one of the few scrap yards left in my locale the lowest price I see is $.25/pound. That's for rusty pieces that have very little usefulness. So, I'm thinking 2-3 times scrap value may not be much below the market value for a used, worn machine.

Also, I don't get the part about belt driven machines being dangerous. Sounds like there's more to that story.

School machines? In my area they're auctioned off at public sales. Sometimes the prices are high, sometimes low. I have heard the urban legends about $.05 surplus Jeeps from the military. I suppose the same legends exist about school machines.

Mcgyver
05-01-2009, 10:05 AM
In my experience there's a wide gap between the "scrap" price when you're selling to the scrapper and when you're buying from him.

agreed there's going to be a big spread, but presumably the owner of a machining talking value as compared to its scrap value is thinking what a scrapper is willing to pay for the machine.

my XLO is i think about 2800 lbs. $600 is about twice 10 cents a pound (my guess as scrap value). it would be a runaway deal at that price....so with scrap values low and machine condition medium or better, 2x scrape could be a win

on the school machines, as I say the run may be over, but what worked with me was i established some great relationships with a couple of the guys clearing out the shops. All the school boards sold the shop in bulk to these people via tenders, but often they'd be the only bidder. if you were their bud, and they knew you were interested, you'd get the call. neither were scrappers or machine dealers; one owned a machine shop and moonlighted at it, the main guy used to repair the machines for the school boards

John Stevenson
05-01-2009, 12:13 PM
School machines? In my area they're auctioned off at public sales. Sometimes the prices are high, sometimes low. I have heard the urban legends about $.05 surplus Jeeps from the military. I suppose the same legends exist about school machines.

It does happen over here.
there are two methods of disposal depending on how the school is run and it's it's part of a college complex, i.e more that one college in the administration net.

The latter tend to let the machines go to tender, usually outside but the former single colleges first offer them on internal tender and this is where the 20 unused CNC lathes and mills come from.

I have just bought two from a private seller in Ireland and they must have come via private tender given what I paid for them which was about 1/3 of normal asking prices but everyone was happy.