PDA

View Full Version : Mounted Dremel on may lathe post

lorenrs
05-02-2009, 08:30 PM
I needed to cut off some 1/8 inch brass round into .12 inch chuncks. I was having a dickens of a time doing his until I came up with this setup. I built the holder out of a large washer and a piece of bar stock. It works great as I can control the cut with the cross slide.

I lurk around here alot and am amazed at the skill the other members have. I have learned much. I am a beginner at this but it is a great break from the engineering I do (HVAC).

Thanks for all that is shared. This is a small project from me to contribute to this great site.

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e400/lorenrs/DSCN3642.jpg

jimmstruk
05-02-2009, 09:00 PM
Good fix for a tough job. Thanks for the picture. JIM

Glenn Wegman
05-02-2009, 09:58 PM
You might want to be careful about putting that grit from the wheels on the ways!

tony ennis
05-02-2009, 10:15 PM
Very creative. Wastes less brass too.

Depending on the finish you need on the cut, a scrollsaw or bandsaw might be good too.

AlanHaisley
05-03-2009, 11:14 PM
Dremel also has little saw blades. At the right speed one of them might be better for the job.

Alan

Scishopguy
05-04-2009, 10:50 AM
Alan...Nice solution to the cutoff problem. By holding the dremel steady and advancing it in this controlled manner, you will not break as many cutoff wheels as usually happens when used by hand. As for the little saw blades, be very careful as the heat of cutting will cause the brass to pinch the blade and possibly break something.

CLARKMAG
05-04-2009, 08:36 PM
I know someone who mounts a Dremel flex drive in a V block on the tool post.

He goes into small radio frequency cavities and cuts with a carbide burr with very little tool force.

Scishopguy
05-05-2009, 12:14 AM
I know someone who mounts a Dremel flex drive in a V block on the tool post.

He goes into small radio frequency cavities and cuts with a carbide burr with very little tool force.

Now that is an interesting idea! I bet that you could make a little vee clamp that would be a lot less likely to transfer vibration from the motor to the work. Sounds like it may have a lot of applications.