PDA

View Full Version : OT John Deere 450 Dozer

Timo
05-02-2009, 09:13 PM
Does anyone know anything about John Deere 450B dozer's?
It belonged to a good friend of mine who recently passed away and his wife said I can have it our haul it away to the junk yard. Itd hadnt been run in over 10 years, but my son in law and I got it started with a new battery and a small shot of ether in about 5 minutes. It has a 4 cylinder diesel engine that runs smooth and a 6 way blade, all the gauges and controls work fine except that the right hand track will not disengage, it will only go straight or make left hand turns. Seems a shame to junk it.

wierdscience
05-02-2009, 09:18 PM
It would be a shame to junk it since a 450D with a 6 way and decent tracks fetches $10-15,000 here.

My brother has a 450C he bought in "kit" form,running engine,but needs under carrage work.He paid $4100 and was glad to get it.

tommied
05-02-2009, 09:31 PM
I assume this is the one with manual handles coming out of floorboard. Take out floorplate and check nothing is physically broken. If its in transmition you'll have to break tracks remove final drives remove trans and repair. Its pretty straight forward but handling the weight of parts is inconvenient. no rocket science, if u can repair a old tractors this will be easy. good luck. I have no books but if u are mechanically inclined fix and keep. We have 450-c at 65 hp its amazing what it'll do. tommie

AllanR
05-02-2009, 09:45 PM
weirdscience
Sweet Deal
The right side steering clutch pack is more than likely froze up with rust. Sitting for ten years without moving in the humid Florida climate might have something to do with it.
The motor starts and runs smoothly, it moves under its own power, it has a 6 way blade.
As long as the under carriage components are not worn out (track chains, rollers, sprocket and front idler) for the cost of fixing the steering clutch you will have yourself one sweet little machine to use or sell.
If you are bent on taking it to a scrap yard I would be happy to meet you where I-75 ends The Canadian Customs in Sault Ste Marie Ontario and relieve you of your burden.
Seriously the machine is worth more than scrap value You could probabily sell as is for a few thousand.

Hope this helps
Al

radkins
05-02-2009, 09:47 PM
Since that is a B model it has the dry clutch packs for the steering and those things are notorious for sticking if left to sit for a while, I am really surprised that both sides were not stuck. If you get down underneath the finial drive housing you will find a plug that will drain the water (there will in all likelihood be water accumulated in there but if not it will be much better) out of the case if any has gotten in there. An old trick we used to do for this was to first remove that plug and make sure there was no water then replace the plug and pour about 2 or 3 gallons of Kerosene into the clutch.brake pack housing and let it sit for a day or so, after about 48 hours you can then start trying to work this thing loose by operating the machine and trying to get that side to free up. If this does not do it then removing the clutch packs and brake bands for service is going to be necessary but this is not as hard to do as it sounds nor is it all that expensive, basic hand tools and a service manual and you should have no problem doing it. You are right about that old machine DO NOT junk it!!! There are folks around here who would REALLY like to get their hands on that thing including me!

BTW I have the smaller 350 version of that Dozer. :)

If you are still going to junk it I too live only about 10 miles from I 75 and I am only about halfway as far up the road as AllenR!

Lu47Dan
05-02-2009, 09:47 PM
Timo , Go here JDcrawlers MB (http://www.jdcrawlers.com/messageboard/index.php) , and ask your questions . There are a lot of members there with a lot of knowledge on John Deere crawlers .
One thing you can try is pull back both steering clutches and use the brake on the side that is working to load the clutch pack on the other side . Or push against something with both steering clutch levers pulled back to break the clutch pack loose . Since it runs and you can use it it would be a shame to send it to the scrap yard . Dan

radkins
05-02-2009, 09:55 PM
it would be a shame to send it to the scrap yard . Dan

Around here a fellow could get tared and feathered for even talking about junking a machine like that! :D

wierdscience
05-03-2009, 10:15 AM
Timo,forgot to mention I have both repair and parts manuals for the C model.If you get stuck I can e-mail you some pages.

radkins
05-03-2009, 10:25 AM
Timo,forgot to mention I have both repair and parts manuals for the C model.

The C model is a completely different set-up and is of the "wet clutch" design so there would be major differences in the service and especially the parts manuals. Clutch discs, plates and brake bands will not interchange between the two models as well as some other serious differences.

wierdscience
05-03-2009, 11:40 AM
The C model is a completely different set-up and is of the "wet clutch" design so there would be major differences in the service and especially the parts manuals. Clutch discs, plates and brake bands will not interchange between the two models as well as some other serious differences.

Not quite,the clutch discs interchange and are both the same part#T31732.The linings will also interchange since they now use the #T82355 metallic linings as opposed to the #T414472 which were the now considered evil asbestos fiber linings.Some more parts will interchange across all models 450,but that's between him and his dealer.

The service manual would help as far as getting to and removing the clutch packs,but not setting the fingers prior to reassembly.At $250 a set of OEM manuals isn't something everyone is willing to buy,unless they are "in to it":)

Timo
05-03-2009, 11:42 AM
Gents,
Thank you for the tips and encouragement. I think that the Dozer will end up at my place. My son in law is going to check with a few heavy equipment movers. The trip is only about a mile and a half so hopefully the cost wont be too bad.
Are the steering levers strictly mechanical linked to the clutches or are they hydraulically assisted somehow? The left hand steering lever which does work operates very smoothly with little effort. The right hand steering lever which does not work just moves back and forth smoothly but with no effect on the right track. When we get it over to my place we are going to drive it up on a couple of heavy 8 X 8 timbers so we can get look at the underside. I looked up the serial number and it appears that this is a 1971 vintage B model 450
Any other further advice or comments are welcomed.
Tim

wierdscience
05-03-2009, 12:18 PM
Gents,
Are the steering levers strictly mechanical linked to the clutches or are they hydraulically assisted somehow? Tim

They did both,some models were straight mechanical and some featured power steering.The power model uses a steering pump to supply fluid power to two hydraulic servo cylinders(boosters) which then apply pressure to the clutch linkage.

bruto
05-03-2009, 10:54 PM
Just to add encouragement, I can't help you on analyzing the clutches, but they're repairable, and as the (part)owner of an old but strong 450C, I guarantee that you'll enjoy having this.

My wife loves hers!

http://img167.imageshack.us/img167/1101/lourdesondozer.jpg (http://img167.imageshack.us/my.php?image=lourdesondozer.jpg)

Timo
05-04-2009, 02:53 PM
An old trick we used to do for this was to first remove that plug and make sure there was no water then replace the plug and pour about 2 or 3 gallons of Kerosene into the clutch.brake pack housing and let it sit for a day or so, after about 48 hours you can then start trying to work this thing loose by operating the machine and trying to get that side to free up. If this does not do it then removing the clutch packs and brake bands for service is going to be necessary but this is not as hard to do as it sounds nor is it all that expensive, basic hand tools and a service manual and you should have no problem doing it.

I assume that you have to have the machine jacked up to do this, sure doesn't have much ground clearance as it is. We are going to try and drive it up on a couple of 8" X 8" timbers. Where about will that plug be located? Do you have to take off the track and sprocket to get at the clutch pack? We will be bring the Dozer over to my place tomorrow. This could get interesting.

wierdscience
05-04-2009, 09:10 PM
Just to add encouragement, I can't help you on analyzing the clutches, but they're repairable, and as the (part)owner of an old but strong 450C, I guarantee that you'll enjoy having this.

My wife loves hers!

http://img167.imageshack.us/img167/1101/lourdesondozer.jpg (http://img167.imageshack.us/my.php?image=lourdesondozer.jpg)

Agreed,these are great little machines,they will do more work in less time than most people give them credit for.

Metalmelter
05-04-2009, 10:45 PM
Timo,

Here's an interesting site with LOTS of info. I joined their forum a while ago and it helped me. These are the folks that know heavy equipment ;)

http://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/Forum/forumdisplay.php?f=48

I also believe I may have the manuals on microfiche. I purchased a box full of John Deere microfiche a few years ago and
there's a lot packed on those cards. The 450 sounds like a common machine too. If you need manuals maybe we can work
out a way to get them printed. I have a JD 410B Turbo backhoe and love it! They are BIG toys but man do they help me in
the wildest of ways!!

Good luck with it !!!

Ohio Mike
05-05-2009, 08:09 AM
If I was getting a free dozer I think I could spring for some real parts books :D
That is one thing nice thing about Deere, they're parts system and dealer network is second to none. Its always up to date and most stuff is still available.

camdigger
05-05-2009, 11:30 AM
If I was getting a free dozer I think I could spring for some real parts books :D
That is one thing nice thing about Deere, they're parts system and dealer network is second to none. Its always up to date and most stuff is still available.

It's available, but at a cost.....:rolleyes: But then the machine itself was cheap enough...:cool: If parts become too big an issue, the internet is a gold mine for salvaged parts and assemblies..

Silverwolf
05-05-2009, 11:43 AM
Mine has a foot steer. The pedals have spring loaded rachet type locks on the pedals base. Push the pedal all the way in and it rachets down and holds it there. being old mine always stays locked because the spring isn't strong enough to pull the lock back when you push the pedal down. There is one on both pedals. Funny mine sticks on the right too. I just get my kid to push on the pedal, then I tap the lock with a hammer and it pops loose. Then I oil it and it lasts about a month, then does it again. If yours is a foot steer it may be rusted totally locked. Easy take apart and fix if thats the problem. In fact I thought of taking mine right off, I never use them for working the machine, only parking on slopes. So there not really needed.

Lu47Dan
05-05-2009, 11:51 AM
Link to 450 Service manual (https://www.johndeeretechinfo.com/index.cfm?event=productDetails&product_id=40241&menuDivision=CONSTRUCTION&menuModel=450&menuDocType=SERVICE%20MANUALS)
Link to Parts Catalog (https://www.johndeeretechinfo.com/index.cfm?event=productNavigate&division=CONSTRUCTION&menuDivision=CONSTRUCTION&and_attributes=division,model,doc_type&model=450&menuModel=450&doc_type=PARTS%20CATALOGS&menuDocType=PARTS%20CATALOGS)

Timo
05-05-2009, 07:12 PM
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f210/piperj4/Myredneckhoney.jpg

My wife said that this looks like it could be fun, if I can fix it.

wierdscience
05-05-2009, 07:50 PM
Cool,excellent haul,even still has the engine side panels.

Liger Zero
05-05-2009, 08:07 PM
I cannot believe that people give stuff like that away. :D

gunbuilder
05-05-2009, 10:28 PM
I cannot believe that people give stuff like that away. :D
I know, and never to me.

Thanks,
Paul

CCWKen
05-06-2009, 01:21 AM
Good on you! I think if it were me, I'd be buying lottery tickets too. :D

I picked up an old JD-420C a few years ago. Thought I'd use it around the property a bit then resell it. Danged if they ain't a right handy piece of equipment to have around so I still have it.

Timo
05-06-2009, 01:48 PM
I have both repair and parts manuals for the C model.If you get stuck I can e-mail you some pages.

Thank you, but luckily we found the original Service Manual for the 450 in the barn were the dozer was stored. It's awful thick and not really written for a rank amateur, actually a little intimidating, but I may need to ask for some part numbers later.

Liger Zero
05-06-2009, 03:55 PM
I know, and never to me.

Thanks,
Paul

Right! And to think I was gloating over a mere bicycle! :D

bruto
05-07-2009, 10:46 PM
Thank you, but luckily we found the original Service Manual for the 450 in the barn were the dozer was stored. It's awful thick and not really written for a rank amateur, actually a little intimidating, but I may need to ask for some part numbers later.I assume you checked the prices on that link above. Maybe you ought to buy two lottery tickets!

2sullisons
08-04-2009, 11:05 PM
I removed the cable to the tachometer, which was working fine, to address a wiring problem. When I put the cable back on, the tachometer would not work. It was pegging all the way to the right. After many tries, it still will not work. Can someone tell me what I may be doing wrong, has the cable somehow gone bad or is it the gauge?