PDA

View Full Version : fifty-to-one long shot

aostling
05-03-2009, 08:22 PM
You could have won the cost of a nice new lathe if you had bet on Mine That Bird. This aerial footage captures the most amazing charge in horse-racing history. Did any of you place a bet on this Kentucky Derby winner?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/30539276#30539276

dockrat
05-03-2009, 10:00 PM
Did any of you place a bet on this Kentucky Derby winner?

No but I bet on some $4 mining stock and sold it 3 weeks later for $11 so I'm kinda gloating about that and if I wasn't so chickenchit and held on till last friday I coulda sold it at $14 but thats hindsight :D Anyhow.....where is the tool catalogue??

beckley23
05-03-2009, 10:09 PM
That was an amazing race, that I won't soon forget. Give Calvin Borel , the jockey, a lot of credit. It's too bad the horse is a gelding.
Harry

ZINOM
05-03-2009, 11:11 PM
That view was cool...reminds me of Lance Armstrong breaking away from a pack.

John

Astronowanabe
05-03-2009, 11:31 PM
That was an amazing race, that I won't soon forget. Give Calvin Borel , the jockey, a lot of credit. It's too bad the horse is a gelding.
Harry

Dollars to donuts they took a sample beforehand, and it is back in the fridge
(they may want to move it to a secure facility)
if not there is always cloning.

Robin R
05-03-2009, 11:51 PM
About 40 odd years ago, there was a horse that won the Grand National in the UK, at 100-1. Someone had placed a 1000 bet on it, I don't know what that would be in today's money, but we are talking very nice lathe.

Liger Zero
05-04-2009, 07:26 AM
50-1... someone is doing a happy little dance right now. :)

beckley23
05-04-2009, 06:56 PM
It's the real deal in Thoroughbred horse racing. Artificial insemination is not allowed.
Harry

tony ennis
05-04-2009, 07:05 PM
Dude. They do artificial insemination on t-breds all the time.

Spin Doctor
05-04-2009, 07:40 PM
IIRC they had to do AI with Secretariat at first because he just wasn't interested. :D

Your Old Dog
05-04-2009, 08:33 PM
Thanks for the post, I had not seen it. Absolutly unreal !! Is this the owner who was a school teacher and does all the work on this horse?

tony ennis
05-04-2009, 09:24 PM
IIRC they had to do AI with Secretariat at first because he just wasn't interested.

At the beginning of the season, the stallion will darned near walk into the breeding barn on his back legs. After he's covered a lot of mares, however, he's pretty much tired of it. So they'll resort to AI.

They'll also collect the stallions so they have something if the stallion is injured.

J Tiers
05-04-2009, 11:25 PM
All I can say is that the video looks like an old western horse race story...... where one guy has a horse that's a real ringer.

If all those horses were trying hard, and this other one came up at half again their running speed, that's one rocket of a horse. Just passed them like a lawyer in traffic.

tony ennis
05-04-2009, 11:49 PM
Wifey, who knows of such things, notes that the winning jockey is on his home track. She believes that he knew the track and knew the rail gave surer footing in that kind of weather. Smart.

He's won the derby 2 of the last 3 years, which is remarkable.

Tinkerer
05-05-2009, 03:47 AM
What A Race...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjY-rrAoTl8
Made the other horses look like they were standing still. :eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRGvbUmqv-s
Another fantastic ride by Bo-rail on Friday on a Filly in the Oaks. :cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZThquH5t0ow
Of course have you heard... The Bird is the word. :D

madman
05-05-2009, 08:15 AM
Horse on Dope?

Tinkerer
05-05-2009, 11:55 AM
Horse on Dope?
No MTB was not juiced... vet check comes back cleaner then the chicken in the poultry case at wally world. Maybe the so called Super Trainers/Blue bloods could not do their normal round of PED's cause Church Hills steps up security for the Derby. The Bird had the breeding and really is only a 2 yr. old as he will turn 3 on May 10th... but all horses born in any year are register as Jan 1st as DoB. So he is improving... as far as breeding goes it's live cover only for registered TB's no Stud no Colt by X. Else you'd have people claiming to be grooms selling Big Brown straws on ebay that would most likely be Old Plow Rowe they picked up at the local sale. Nope live cover or no Colt or Filly by Stalion X. ;)

MTB bloodline..http://www.pedigreequery.com/mine+that+bird.

Carld
05-05-2009, 01:16 PM
You'll never make be believe the owners didn't know what that horse could run. I think they were holding back in the other races to increase his odds and I wouldn't be surprised if they had huge sums bet on him by proxy wagers.

wierdscience
05-05-2009, 07:55 PM
Did I hear right that the owner paid $9500 for the horse?That's gotta be like showing up at Indy in a Chevette and winning:)

beckley23
05-05-2009, 09:47 PM
I think 9500 was the yearling sale, and I think 400,000 is what the current owners paid.
Harry

Carld
05-06-2009, 12:20 AM
The reason I think there is some hanky panky going on is the trainer said the horse cost them $9500 but that is what it sold for from the horse farm. There are 3 owners, the trainer, one I don't know anything about and the owner of the farm they keep their horses on in Texas. I a second interview the farm owner said they gave $400,000 for the horse and the three of them have shares in the horse. This is all from interviews here in Louisville from the Courier-Journal paper.

At any rate they sure showed to much of the horse to the competetors. Now the odds will not be good for the bettors. Do they ever have an odds call of 1:1 or .5:1 in horse racing?

Tinkerer
05-06-2009, 03:41 AM
The reason I think there is some hanky panky going on is the trainer said the horse cost them $9500 but that is what it sold for from the horse farm. There are 3 owners, the trainer, one I don't know anything about and the owner of the farm they keep their horses on in Texas. I a second interview the farm owner said they gave $400,000 for the horse and the three of them have shares in the horse. This is all from interviews here in Louisville from the Courier-Journal paper.

At any rate they sure showed to much of the horse to the competetors. Now the odds will not be good for the bettors. Do they ever have an odds call of 1:1 or .5:1 in horse racing?
No hank panky at all... just the normal level of journalism today. The horse sold at a yearling sale in Kentucky for the sum of $9,500.00 to Dave Cotey a Canadian onwer/trainer who trained and ran him in CA as a 2yr old. Mine That Bird had earned $304,000 and when he (Cotey) was able to hammer out another $400,000 US from the interested party, the horse trader in Cotey cashed in. And sold to the New Mexico group of Double Eagle Ranch (Mark Allen) and Bueno Suerte Equine (Leonard P. Blach).
Bennie Woolley cowboy on crotches trains for them. MTB earned like 1,217,000.00 for winning the Derby. So quite a return on their investment so far.

Hope that clears that up for you. Also he went off at 48-1 his ML was 50-1 but the pool totals to win dropped to 48-1 when the gates opened. Yep even money happens less then even no one would bet

lynnl
05-06-2009, 09:11 AM
As I recall, the owners of Seatle Slew (a logger and his airline flight attendant wife) picked him up for a mere 17,000.

...we're talking a good return on investment here!! He was NOT a gelding.

I've loved horse racing ever since the SeaBiscuit story was popularized a few years ago. One of the most interesting stories is that of Funny Cide, another gelding, who was bought (cheaply) and raced by a group of regular joes from Sackett's Harbor, NY. He almost pulled off the triple crown.

But the greatest of them all, in my view, was Secretariat. He ran the Belmont Stakes 1 1/2 mile in a record time that still stands. I think he led from start to finish. And every 1/4 he ran faster than the one before.

beckley23
05-06-2009, 06:49 PM
Carl,
When a horse goes off at even odds and wins, there is a minimum payout of 2.20 for a 2.00 bet, IIRC, it's been 30+ years since I've been to Churchill Downs for racing. See the twin spires everyday when I go the shop, though.
Harry

tony ennis
05-06-2009, 09:26 PM
Check Secretariat in the Belmont. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cS4f6wiQJh4&feature=related)

Carld
05-06-2009, 11:08 PM
I didn't watch the race but did read the interviews in the paper. Thanks Harry, I was wondering if odds did get to 1:1 and what they would pay for that. I guess they had a good sum bet on him.