PDA

View Full Version : OT - How to get 24 volts from a Cummins Dodge

murph64
05-04-2009, 11:54 AM
A buddy has a 92 Dodge (with twin batteries)and is looking to power a 24 volt hydraulic pump. Is there an easy way to rig the batteries for 24v without having to disconnect the stock cables every time he want to run the pump? An isolator?

Andy

A.K. Boomer
05-04-2009, 12:03 PM
I would think he'd have to use some pretty hefty Diodes ?

Willy
05-04-2009, 12:15 PM
Go to an automotive electrical shop and ask for a "series parallel" switch.

An example (http://www.pjldiesel.com.au/docs/47.pdf)

They are also used on industrial equipment a lot as this type of equipment usually uses two or four twelve volt batteries and a twenty four volt starter.

murph64
05-04-2009, 12:28 PM
Looks like just the ticket...Thanks.

Andy

vincemulhollon
05-04-2009, 12:37 PM
A buddy has a 92 Dodge (with twin batteries)and is looking to power a 24 volt hydraulic pump.

http://www.powerstream.com/dc24.htm

Their idea of "continuous current" is probably what you should be using to size your pump motor.

Their PST-SR700-24 for a cost of about $150 will accept 12V and and output 24V at 12 amps. Note that is only 250 watts, maybe a quarter HP.

Probably cheaper to get a 12V pump than to make 24V out of 12V.

I was very seriously considering the purchase of one of their 12V to 36V converters to power a CNC conversion, since I've got a lot of 12V power floating around, but I found an AC unregulated "28V" supply that ended up working perfectly.

I have no connection w/ powerstream other than being a satisfied customer of hundreds of dollars worth of converters for various computer projects that admittedly have nothing to do with 24V.

You may wish to talk to the ham radio "green radio" types... alot of "green radios" (ex-military) run off 24 V and draw a considerable amount of current, so those guys know how to get 24V... In the olden days, people would get a high power 12V motor and a 24V alternator and do the obvious.