PDA

View Full Version : Shear delight

rockrat
05-04-2009, 10:14 PM
Look what followed me home today.

Click for larger photo.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v12/rockrat/machines/th_IMG_7632.jpg (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v12/rockrat/machines/IMG_7632.jpg)

It looks almost new and I already have a project for it. The blades don't have any chips and they looks as though they have never been rotated.
So other than bolting it to the floor, has anyone made large metal plates to put under a shear like this to counter act the leverage? I don't want this tipping over on me.

rock~

67chevelle
05-04-2009, 10:20 PM
I've keep hoping one of those and a nice beefy 48-52" finger brake will follow me home.

I don't have an opinion on your question, but nice find on the new tool.

What's it capable of shearing thickness wise?

Mark

rock~

bollie7
05-04-2009, 11:11 PM
I don't think it will fall over on you. Have a look at where the foot bar pivots from and where the link to the shear blade is located.

bollie7

tiptop
05-04-2009, 11:21 PM
Nice catch Rock. Where have you been fishing? I'm about out of room, I keep saying that but I could probably stuff one of those in. Jay

rubes
05-05-2009, 07:19 AM
It looks almost new and I already have a project for it. The blades don't have any chips and they looks as though they have never been rotated.
So other than bolting it to the floor, has anyone made large metal plates to put under a shear like this to counter act the leverage? I don't want this tipping over on me.
rock~
Good score!!! You dont really need to bolt it to the floor. We had one in the "machine shop":rolleyes: at work and it was not bolted.

I've keep hoping one of those and a nice beefy 48-52" finger brake will follow me home.
that exact thing happened to me a couple weeks ago.:D
Mine's good for 16G mild and 20G stainless.

rockrat
05-05-2009, 08:25 AM
Nice catch Rock. Where have you been fishing? I'm about out of room, I keep saying that but I could probably stuff one of those in. Jay

There is always room for a new tool.

The capacities are as rubes noted. And while I dont think it will easily tip, it can "feel" a bit top heavy when on the bar. I'll have to see.

rock~

rubes
05-05-2009, 08:02 PM
...while I dont think it will easily tip, it can "feel" a bit top heavy when on the bar. I'll have to see.

rock~
I've had two of us on the bar while trying to "extend the capabilities" a "little" bit;) :o
Now that it is mine...I wouldn't think of abusing it that way...LOL

Too_Many_Tools
05-08-2009, 10:27 PM

Click for larger photo.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v12/rockrat/machines/th_IMG_7632.jpg (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v12/rockrat/machines/IMG_7632.jpg)

rock~

Has anyone made this type of shear mobile so it can be moved when in the way?

bollie7
05-09-2009, 02:42 AM
Has anyone made this type of shear mobile so it can be moved when in the way?

Shouldn't be too hard to do. nice strong angle frame, some casters strong enough to take the weight and some jacking screws on the corners to stop it moving when you are using it.
If you wanted to get real neat you could step the frame up inside the base of the machine so that the casters didn't lift the machine up much higher than is sits now.

bollie7

rockrat
05-09-2009, 07:49 AM
You guys are reading my mind. I was thinking about this same thing the other day. Wheels inset inside the frame sides and an over center lever design to get the wheels out of the way but keep them down when moving it around.

My main two requirements were that the wheels had to be set so that they would be further in front and behind the machine to keep it steady. Also, I wanted to hinge the infeed bars and the rear gage bars. This would swing them out of the way so that I can jam it against a wall.

Just another project that I hope to get time for.
rock~

Carld
05-09-2009, 08:53 AM
It's not easy to tip over while shearing but it is easy to plant your other foot under the trip bar and smash a toe. :eek: My toe hurt for quite a while and I was carefull to not get my foot under it again.

Dawai
05-09-2009, 09:08 AM
OKAY...

Roll around lay-out table, with back guage ruler mounted on angle iron on one side.. OK?

I did one, it had lil table rollers with a lever to lift the sheet and reposition it. When down, they were under the table. THE casters had locks on all 4..

the same table works with a break or a shear.. just make sure they are the same height, or are all of them anyways? mine way.. NOW, I'd love a stomp shear.. and another building to put it into..

Thruthefence
05-09-2009, 11:10 AM
Years ago I worked for a corporate aircraft operator, and both our large tennsmith finger brake and shear both had teflon (available from McMaster-Carr) bonded to the bottom of the supports. They would slide on the painted floor, slick as a whistle, like those furniture movers you see on TV. The teflon sheet was etched on one side, and there was a primer of some sort used before the bonding.