PDA

View Full Version : My Mystery Tool Acquisition

Scishopguy
05-05-2009, 01:07 AM
I picked this up at the flea market in Clearwater a couple weeks ago for $5 and saw one similar to it in a thread on this forum last week. JC Hannum posted a picture of his so, since I have now gotten the hang of photobucket I thought I'd put it up for you all to see. I think that this tool will come in handy for shaft work and possibly side flanges on pipes. For the price I could not turn it down.

http://i406.photobucket.com/albums/pp142/scishopguy/04May2009005.jpg

And here it is assembled with the clamp, which fits into a tee slot on the back

http://i406.photobucket.com/albums/pp142/scishopguy/04May2009006.jpg

Ian B
05-05-2009, 01:51 AM
Nice!

Looks ideal for setting the tool on a between centres boring bar.

Ian

barts
05-05-2009, 02:20 AM
For the price I could not turn it down.

It doesn't look like it needs turning down, or would help w/ that process, but boring things out - that's another matter :-).

- Bart

JCHannum
05-05-2009, 08:03 AM
Nice find. Up until now, the only one I had seen was mine, which was a shop fabricated item. The commercial unit is slicker and the clamps add to it's usefulness. Is there any hint of a manufacturer's name or identification?

I don't know the use for sure, but mine gets used for setting cutter protrusion, and works very nicely for that purpose.

$5.00 is a good price. I get some of my nicest finds for cheap because no one knows what they are.

Scishopguy
05-05-2009, 01:17 PM
Nice find. Up until now, the only one I had seen was mine, which was a shop fabricated item. The commercial unit is slicker and the clamps add to it's usefulness. Is there any hint of a manufacturer's name or identification?

I don't know the use for sure, but mine gets used for setting cutter protrusion, and works very nicely for that purpose.

$5.00 is a good price. I get some of my nicest finds for cheap because no one knows what they are.

There is no name on the casting but there is a number. On the side of the Vee block unit there is a D-101 cast in and on the micrometer head, a Starrett, is the number 263. I don't know if the Starrett number referrs to the micrometer head or the whole tool, however.

I really love poking around in the flea markets in the Tampa area because I find all sorts of stuff that people don't know the item is. I once bought a couple pair of Kleco pliers for $0.50 and the guy said that he would sell them to me only if I told him what they were. I told him, "Not a problem as long as you don't raise the price." :D He gladly agreed and we had a good laugh over it.

doc-zeus
05-05-2009, 01:51 PM
I believe the tool that you have is part of a boring tool used to enlarge the cylinder bore of engines. Thus you can rightfully and the popular word "vintage" to the name. (Proper name I'm not sure) A long time ago (I'm certainly dating myself!) you could get someone to come to your driveway and bore your engine cylinders out to the next size. A house call machinist, as it were! This tool was used to set/advance the cutting tip on the boring bar used in this boring machine. If you only had the rest of the kit, you'd be equipped to bore holes in things too large to get set up in your mill or lathe!

Carld
05-05-2009, 02:09 PM
:eek: $5, you stole it for that price. I have been looking for one for years and threathened to make one for as long. Everytime I just cobble something up. :mad:

Someday I will find one but probably just after I make one. I have the mic head and intend to mount it so I can use it for other things.

sansbury
05-05-2009, 10:44 PM
That looks like an early version of the proboscimeter, which was used by plastic surgeons to take highly precise measurements of nasal protrusion. It was also known by its more vulgar name "toucan tape."