X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sportandmiah
    • Jan 2009

Which tool to countersink groove?

I'm looking to cut a countersunk groove, 1/2 inch in length. The goal is for a 2-56 flathead screw to do two things: be flush when screwed in, and when loosened, be able to travel the length of the 1/2 inch for adjustment purposes. I tried a ball endmill but the screws, although sat flush, didn't sit well due to the ball curve of the cutter. Which type of end mill should I use? Is there a certain term for this type of cutter? Here's a couple pics of my first attempt with ball end cutter:

Last edited by Sportandmiah; 05-05-2009, 01:48 PM.
  • websterz
    • Oct 2008

A 60* countersink would do a good job in light material. I have done it before with good results. Take a light cut and feed slowly, make 2 or 3 passes if you need to.

Where did you get the scale in your pics? I would love to have one like that!!

Comment

• dp
      • Mar 2005

Originally posted by websterz
      A 60* countersink would do a good job in light material. I have done it before with good results. Take a light cut and feed slowly, make 2 or 3 passes if you need to.

Agree on the countersink, and google Incra Marking Rules.

Comment

• Lew Hartswick
        • Aug 2002

I think (THINK) they do make 82deg V milling cutters. OR use a
        90 deg one and buy 90 deg flat head screws.
        ...lew...

Comment

• lane
          • Aug 2005

After you cut the slot ,Just cut the angle for the screw head with a standard 82Ø› single flute counter sink. A counter sink will mill too in case you did not know.
          Every Mans Work Is A Portrait of Him Self
          http://sites.google.com/site/machinistsite/TWO-BUDDIES
          http://s178.photobucket.com/user/lan...?sort=3&page=1

Comment

Originally posted by Sportandmiah
            I'm looking to cut a countersunk groove, 1/2 inch in length. The goal is for a 2-56 flathead screw to do two things: be flush when screwed in, and when loosened, be able to travel the length of the 1/2 inch for adjustment purposes. I tried a ball endmill but the screws, although sat flush, didn't sit well due to the ball curve of the cutter. Which type of end mill should I use? Is there a certain term for this type of cutter? Here's a couple pics of my first attempt with ball end cutter:

I suppose you're probably working with what you have on-hand (slotted screw).

Have you given any thought to using 2-56 flat pan screws?

They be slotted heads that could be face cut to desired thickness.
            Use a standard end mill the dia. of the head(screw) and mill in the small recess needed to the length of your slot.
            Better holding and securing characteristics while still giving you dimensional adjustment.

Comment

• Sportandmiah
              • Jan 2009

Originally posted by websterz

I bought it at a local Sears Hardware store for $12.00, it's in their small machinist section.

Comment

• Sportandmiah
                • Jan 2009

Thanks for the responses guys. I bought some better screws, still flathead but hex and phillips head, the other day from smallparts.com. I will try the pan screws as well...good idea! I attempted another set of cuts with a countersink/starter drill, but had terrible results. I'll purchase the proper end mill this week. Does the amount of flutes matter? Would I be better off with 0 flutes or 1-4 flutes?
                Last edited by Sportandmiah; 05-06-2009, 12:58 AM.

Comment

• JoeFin
                  • Jul 2007

Looks like aluminum - I would be using a 2 flute champher mill or 90 deg spot drill to champher the relief you are looking for

Comment

• JMS6449
                    • Feb 2009

Just Use A 82 Degree Countersink Which Is The Correct Included Angle To Match Screw Head. Countersinks Cut Rotary, They Will Slot With No Problems, If Correct Speed And Feed Are Used.

Comment

• The Fixer
                      • Dec 2008

Hmmmmm using a countersink to countersink..........Who'da thunk it!!!
                      Sorry guys, sometimes the rocket science that gets offered up here for simple tasks is a bit over the top. I'm a big fan of the KISS principle ....keep it simple silly! So for me using a 82 degree countersink to countersink your piece seems pretty simple....
                      Just my .02
                      I spent most of my money on women and booze, the rest I just wasted.

Comment

• JMS6449
                        • Feb 2009

That was the point of my post

Comment

• Sportandmiah
                          • Jan 2009

Originally posted by The Fixer
                          Hmmmmm using a countersink to countersink..........Who'da thunk it!!!
                          Sorry guys, sometimes the rocket science that gets offered up here for simple tasks is a bit over the top. I'm a big fan of the KISS principle ....keep it simple silly! So for me using a 82 degree countersink to countersink your piece seems pretty simple....
                          Just my .02
                          Ummm...what?

To everyone else, thank you for your help.

Comment

Working...
                          X