PDA

View Full Version : big fan of extractors

Alistair Hosie
05-06-2009, 03:51 PM
Hi could these be turned into dust extractors with a little ingenuity regards Alistair

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Industrial-electric-blower-cooling-circulation-fan_W0QQitemZ190305628445QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Def aultDomain_3?hash=item190305628445&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1683%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C 240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

jackary
05-06-2009, 04:06 PM
Could possibly be used as a main dryer, manifolded down in a ladies hair stylists with hair raising results.
Alan

pcarpenter
05-06-2009, 04:24 PM
I think you could exhaust it outside and use it to implode your house:D

Of course the trouble with an external exhaust for dust removal etc. is that there are very few times of the year in my climate where you are not removing either your expensive heated or expensive cooled air at an alarming rate. I put a hood in for use over my welding table with a small blower. It will be an acceptable sacrifice to weld inside during cold (or windy) weather, but I am still sure that it will suck heat out of my shop pretty fast. Got to finish the duct work to find out for sure. I think I will have to crack a nearby window for supply during heating season as it could otherwise end up sucking combustion byproducts back down the flue.

Good luck finding a filter for your air cleaner if you use a fan that big:eek:

Paul

derekm
05-06-2009, 04:32 PM
I think you could exhaust it outside and use it to implode your house:D

Of course the trouble with an external exhaust for dust removal etc. is that there are very few times of the year in my climate where you are not removing either your expensive heated or expensive cooled air at an alarming rate. I put a hood in for use over my welding table with a small blower. It will be an acceptable sacrifice to weld inside during cold (or windy) weather, but I am still sure that it will suck heat out of my shop pretty fast. Got to finish the duct work to find out for sure. I think I will have to crack a nearby window for supply during heating season as it could otherwise end up sucking combustion byproducts back down the flue.

Good luck finding a filter for your air cleaner if you use a fan that big:eek:

Paul
With that sort of air velocity a set of cyclones would enable you to recycle the air and preserve the precious temperature. A small venturi scrubber could work on the non particulate fume content... All doable for a man who can weld sheet metal...

FatWheels
05-06-2009, 04:34 PM
In a word, yes Alistaire. I wouldn't attach anything smaller than maybe an entire lumber mill to it though. You would find it very inconvenient to have to open the sawdust bin to fish out your pad sander that gut sucked up . . . again!:D Check out penn state industries website. I believe they have some online tools for designing a homebrew DC system. You might just suck a black hole into the time/space continuoum otherwise.

regards,

Jim

Your Old Dog
05-06-2009, 04:44 PM
Alistair, I have to agree with FatWheels. It's just to much blower for a home shop and it's not necessary. You'd be better off with a conventional 3hp dust collector coupled to a cyclonic dust collector as the remove smaller particulate matter.

FatWheels
05-06-2009, 04:48 PM
Alistaire,

Sorry, I looked and looked on penn state industries site and couldn't find what I was looking for. However, I did find some useful info here:

http://www.woodmagazine.com/woodworking-tools/reviews/dust-collection/

I hope this is of some use.

regards,

Jim

pcarpenter
05-06-2009, 04:51 PM
With that sort of air velocity a set of cyclones would enable you to recycle the air and preserve the precious temperature. A small venturi scrubber could work on the non particulate fume content... All doable for a man who can weld sheet metal...

Most of the cyclones I have seen were fed with paddle type blowers. This appears to be a squirrel cage type fan and while I think they can create plenty of air volume, I don't think they can generate the static pressure to go with it.

Typically, blowers of this sort are used for air circulation and filtration (as differentiated from dust (really chip) collection.

Paul